One person, one vote: SCOTUS to tell us what it means (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:06:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  One person, one vote: SCOTUS to tell us what it means (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One person, one vote: SCOTUS to tell us what it means  (Read 7063 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 26, 2015, 11:58:24 PM »

What do our legal experts think the result here would be?

Who knows?  I think people are overlooking the possibility that the court took the case to explicitly set the standard as a person is a person, even if they are ineligible to be a voter, but I don't think we'll have idea of what they are thinking until at least oral arguments. If I had to guess, it would be to establish a standard of redistricting according to the apportionment population living there, but might allow for states to use a different definition of what counts as apportionment population for state or local districts than what is used for Federal apportionment.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:24:48 PM »

As I said, I have not read up on the inter state apportionment issue, but SCOTUS would certainly address both issues in the one case, if they go the CVAP route, because they would have to address that issue in their ruling, or explain why the potential discrepancy would be tolerable.
You mean like how SCOTUS squarely addressed the issue of same-sex marriage in Windsor, thus requiring all fifty States to recognize same-sex marriages since 2013?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies