Is any Senator at all going to retire? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:43:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is any Senator at all going to retire? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is any Senator at all going to retire?  (Read 1541 times)
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« on: June 30, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »

Cardin might retire, though I kinda doubt it. If he retired, it might have a downballot effect, where a subpar Democratic nominee for senate could give Hogan an easier time running for reelection, or possibly even cause an upset win for Republicans in the senate, though it's unlikely. Maryland is not known for a lot of split-ticketing.

Other than Cardin, I can see Carper possibly retiring. I'm convinced Heitkamp will eventually feel good enough about the national environment to run for reelection.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »

Cardin might retire, though I kinda doubt it. If he retired, it might have a downballot effect, where a subpar Democratic nominee for senate could give Hogan an easier time running for reelection, or possibly even cause an upset win for Republicans in the senate, though it's unlikely. Maryland is not known for a lot of split-ticketing.

Other than Cardin, I can see Carper possibly retiring. I'm convinced Heitkamp will eventually feel good enough about the national environment to run for reelection.

There is absolutely zero chance that Maryland sends a Republican to the Senate in a Trump midterm.
I know. I just have a hard time seeing Maryland reelecting both Cardin and Hogan at the same time.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »

There is absolutely zero chance that Maryland sends a Republican to the Senate in a Trump midterm.
I know. I just have a hard time seeing Maryland reelecting both Cardin and Hogan at the same time.
It''ll happen.  Baker and Warren are going to cruise to re-election in MA.
MA has a much longer history of ticket-splitting though. The last time a senate election and and a gubernatorial election in Maryland went different ways was in 1974, and that was when Charles Mathias, who was a liberal republican, was reelected.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies