Joe Biden under fire from Jewish groups for using word 'Shylocks' during speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:51:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden under fire from Jewish groups for using word 'Shylocks' during speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joe Biden under fire from Jewish groups for using word 'Shylocks' during speech  (Read 2550 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:25:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2759021/Joe-Biden-fire-Jewish-groups-using-word-Shylock-speech-money-lending.html
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »

Shouldn't Shakespeare be the one under fire?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »

Shouldn't Shylock be the one under fire?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:37:52 PM »

Ugh. Every little thing.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »

Ha, the ADL. They really never miss the slightest opportunity, do they?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »

This is just the press overstating something to get more site clicks (I would say "sell more papers" but that term is kind of outdated these days)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

i.e. the ADL's president literally pardons Joe Biden for using the slur, attacks society instead
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:23:51 PM »

It is kind of an ugly old slur?

It was probably a slip of the tongue, though, so Foxman is taking the right tack.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:53:33 PM »

It was probably a slip of the tongue, though, so Foxman is taking the right tack.

Honestly it would probably be worse if it came from literally anyone else. This kind of thing is entirely expected from Joe "Gaffe Machine" Biden and I'm more surprised it's been so long since he accidentally offended some group or another.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »

#DemocratWarOnJews
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »

Honestly it would probably be worse if it came from literally anyone else. This kind of thing is entirely expected from Joe "Gaffe Machine" Biden and I'm more surprised it's been so long since he accidentally offended some group or another.

Yep. Biden is America's wacky grandpa with no filter.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »

Listen again, it was actually James Baker.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 08:15:02 PM »

It's almost like you two didn't even read the article and just wanted to be offended by them being offended.  Weird.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »

I will fully concede that this makes me very late to the game and is probably a mark on my judgement, but any expectation I had for the Daily Mail to sensationalise rather than completely invent went out the window when I read an article containing the line "many Egyptians resent the Obama administration for not doing more to stop the overthrow of long-time leader Hosni Mubarak by the Muslim Brotherhood."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »

It's almost like you two didn't even read the article and just wanted to be offended by them being offended.  Weird.
You don't have to read the article; the ADL does get offended by everything, and instead of blaming Biden for this non-issue to begin with, they blame everyone else. Why? Because they are a Democratic echo chamber at this point.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »

Shouldn't Shylock be the one under fire?

Shouldn't Shakespeare be the one under fire?

Why do you want to throw water on people's right to be offended, men? 

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

Along with not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, Joe Biden is not well educated (just a guy who partied his way through college, and then went to a third rate law school, and flunked the bar exam several times). I have no doubt that he was unaware of the provenance of the word. Be kind to him - at least until such time as he displays yet another bout of poor judgment, and decides to run for POTUS, in which event he should be eviscerated. Thank you.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 11:06:26 AM »

A BLUE AVATER LAWYER APPEARS
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »

You don't have to read the article; the ADL does get offended by everything, and instead of blaming Biden for this non-issue to begin with, they blame everyone else. Why? Because they are a Democratic echo chamber at this point.

By that logic, I don't have to read your full post since the first 1/4 of your first sentence makes it obvious you're just going to go on about how there's no reason to read articles instead of just skimming their titles.  I mean, it's not like only reading the beginning snippet of your post could give an inaccurate impression of what you are saying, right?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »

By that logic, I don't have to read your full post since the first 1/4 of your first sentence makes it obvious you're just going to go on about how there's no reason to read articles instead of just skimming their titles.  I mean, it's not like only reading the beginning snippet of your post could give an inaccurate impression of what you are saying, right?
I read the article FWIW, but I didn't need to. The title wasn't as revolting as what Foxman actually did. He didn't attack Biden for the use of the term, he attacked everyone else for fostering an antisemitic culture.

The article is about the ADL being annoying (surprise, surprise), but the title didn't match what happened.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 11:47:51 AM »

I read the article FWIW, but I didn't need to. The title wasn't as revolting as what Foxman actually did. He didn't attack Biden for the use of the term, he attacked everyone else for fostering an antisemitic culture.

The article is about the ADL being annoying (surprise, surprise), but the title didn't match what happened.

What's wrong with what Foxman did?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »

It isn't a term that people should use, obviously. Doesn't make the user an automatic bigot, but then no one is actually being accused of that...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 03:27:10 PM »

I have seen it used to describe loan sharks.  Not the (famously Jewish) Rothschild family, though, which seems to refuse to lend to people who would be hurt by the deal. The Rothschilds did not finance gambling on credit or consumer loans.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 02:43:38 AM »

Along with not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, Joe Biden is not well educated (just a guy who partied his way through college, and then went to a third rate law school, and flunked the bar exam several times). I have no doubt that he was unaware of the provenance of the word. Be kind to him - at least until such time as he displays yet another bout of poor judgment, and decides to run for POTUS, in which event he should be eviscerated. Thank you.

Feel better now, dude?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 04:18:35 AM »

Classic Biden.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »

Along with not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, Joe Biden is not well educated

Says someone who voted twice for George W. Bush.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies