Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:05:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19
Author Topic: Faroe Islands Parliamentary Election - September 1, 2015  (Read 50701 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »

Seat count:

Javnaðarflokkurin -- 8 (+2)
Tjóðveldi -- 7 (+1)
Fólkaflokkurin -- 8 6 (-2)
Sambandsflokkurin -- 8 6 (-2)
Framsókn -- 2 (nc)
Miðflokkurin -- 2 (nc)
Nýtt Sjálvstýri -- 2 (+1)

Seat count is wrong. PP and UP got 6, which is -2 for both.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »

Well, interesting result. Republic and SD have 15 and can get a majority with both Progress and Home Rule.

Seats:

Republic 7
SD 8
Home Rule 2
Centre 2
Progress 2
UP 6
PP 6
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 07:07:51 PM by politicus »

Some personal votes:

UP

1   Edmund Joensen   636
2   Kaj Leo Holm Johannesen   603
3   Bárður á Steig Nielsen   592
4   Magnus Rasmussen   500
5   Bjørn Kalsø   486
6   Magni Laksáfoss   374

KJL finished marginally ahead of his rival Bardur Nielsen. Former PM Edmund Joensen became #1.

Home Rule

1   Jógvan Skorheim 386
2   Kári P. Højgaard   351

Party chairman Skorheim and current MP (and "scandalized" Minister of the Interior Højgaard (who had said he was going to retire, but changed his mind) are elected. The are both positioned to the right in the party.

Centre

1   Jenis av Rana   498
2   Bill Justinussen   369

Jenis av Rana, who is the municipal doctor in Torshavn, got the necessary votes in the capital to overtake Justinussen, so he is safely in charge.

SD

Party chairman Aksel Johannessen got 2 405, which is a new Faroese record. Rigor Dam finished fourth.

PP

Still have the two Torshavn based MPs ahead of their leaders.

Progress

Party co-founder Hanna Jensen will join Poul Michelsen.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »

is that good or bad for Rigmor Dam?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »

Aksel V. Johannesen will be the new PM, since only a theoretical coalition between all 5 centre-right parties (including Progress and Centre!) can prevent SD and Republic from forming a government. So the question is only who the two left wing parties will govern with.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »

is that good or bad for Rigmor Dam?

Same position as last time, but she is up 122.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2015, 07:15:22 PM »

Is SD-UP completely out?

I would say the Progress will not like to join the left. Just a guess.

Home Rule Party is the most likely, but I am not sure.

CP I guess is out (unless they preceive them as an easy going party, beyond their hardcore moral issues)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2015, 07:17:15 PM »

So apart from Alberta, the left has now also won Faroe Smiley
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »

Only one of the two SDs that voted against gay marriage in 2014 (Henrik Old) is reelected, but I dont know if there are any SoCons among the newly elected MPs.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2015, 07:29:48 PM »

Question. I might be ignorant, but why are there so many people who want to leave the union with Denmark?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2015, 07:32:33 PM »

So apart from Alberta, the left has now also won Faroe Smiley

Well, 15 is good, but they were at 16-17 in some polls in spring, and the two parties have been at 15 before. It is not a sensation like Alberta. If they had gotten an outright majority that would have been a first.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 07:39:30 PM by politicus »

Question. I might be ignorant, but why are there so many people who want to leave the union with Denmark?

They are a nation with their own culture, traditions and language etc. (and fiercely proud of both). Plus they are much smaller than DK and unable to influence Danish political decisions.

They are also outside of the EU and have a completely different type of economy.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »

Don't they have less to do with the EU than any other overseas territory of an EU member state?

Anyway, I guess the result is reasonably good news. How likely is gay marriage at this point?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 07:59:27 PM by DavidB. »

They are a nation with their own culture, traditions and language etc. (and fiercely proud of both). Plus they are much smaller than DK and unable to influence Danish political decisions.

They are also outside of the EU and have a completely different type of economy.
Sounds all reasonable. I didn't even know that they had their own language, being even closer related to Icelandic/Old Norse than to Danish.

I looked at politiken.dk, my main source for Denmark-related news, and expected the election to be at least one of the main issues. Turned out it was quite hard to find anything about it. I would be pissed if I were Faroese Tongue Then again, if I think about it, I don't know much about politics on the Antilles either. Of course, these cases are very different, but still...

Don't they have less to do with the EU than any other overseas territory of an EU member state?

Yes, they are not part of the EU and neither are they part of the EU-recognized Overseas Countries and Territories (the Dutch Antilles are, for example). In fact, the Faroese Prime Minister visited Moscow to enhance bilateral trade relations when the EU announced a trade embargo with Russia. Faroese export to Russia increased dramatically. (I only just learned this).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »

That is only 14 seats and Republic would never govern with UP. It would not have a majority with one of the three small centre-right parties, so you would need two of them (and Centre/Progress is a no go). Progress would generally be uninterested in this centrist/unionist combo. So you would be stuck with a cumbersome SD-Centre-Home Rule-UP quartet ("centrists united") wit the risk of the of the small parties dropping out along the way ascot happened with the current government.

It also gives SD neither fishing quota reform, nor progressive taxation. So rather pointless for them.

Only good for improving healthcare. Could become more attractive if UP could be persuaded to reintroduce progressive taxation, but that would leave them open to attack from the right.

Generally, why should SD want this, when they can get some actual reforms and modernize Faroese society together with Republic and either Progress (big reforms) or Home Rule (small reforms).

That said KLJ has the initiative and he will almost certainly offer to join Aksel Johannesen in a "centrists united" as being in government would make it much easier for him to hang on to the leadership.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2015, 08:05:20 PM »

How likely is gay marriage at this point?

Fairly likely, but that depends entirely on which coalition that gets established and (especially) if there are other SoCons besides Henrik Old among the elected SD MPs.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2015, 08:18:51 PM »

They have common mackerel and herring quotas with EU and Norway, so you could surely find some islands somewhere that had less to do with the union.

Cooperation is based on a Fisheries Agreement from 1977 and a Free Trade Agreement from 1991. They are not in Schengen.

Fishing quotas is the major bone of contention and 2013-14 EU actually sanctioned the Faroes because they fished too many mackerells and herrings, so DK near the end of the conflict had to  boycott a part of our state (which is ridiculous). Like not allowing Faroese ships to buy provisions in Danish harbours etc.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52:36 PM »

Are Danish gay marriages recognized in Faroe?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2015, 09:18:14 PM »

Are Danish gay marriages recognized in Faroe?

Dunno. I found a 2 year old article about it on LGTB Denmarks web page where they said both Danish and Faroese authorities had stalled them and sent them running in circles in a "Kafkasque" process and declined to give an answer to even basic questions such as whether the marriages are legally recognized, whether a child adopted by a spouse in such a marriage only has one parent if the family moves to the Faroes, and if a person in a Danish gay marriage commits bigami if he/she enters into a straight marriage on the Faroes. So a mess back then.

The thing is no Danish gays moves to the Faroes (for obvious reasons), and hardly any Faroese gays return to the islands once they have moved to Denmark (= Copenhagen if you are gay). So it is a bit of a theoretical question and I doubt there has ever been an actual test case. So I am not sure whether it has been clarified.

I know Danish gay marriages (and registered partnerships before them) are recognized in Greenland, but then Greenlanders never had a problem with gay marriage in the first place.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:48 PM »

Interesting situation (though also pretty sad for Faroese gays, let's hope this will be solved soon). The Netherlands had a comparable complicated situation with the Antilles, which initially declined to recognize Dutch gay marriages - until several court rulings obliged them to do so on the basis of the Charter of the Kingdom.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2015, 11:03:28 PM »

They have common mackerel and herring quotas with EU and Norway, so you could surely find some islands somewhere that had less to do with the union.

Cooperation is based on a Fisheries Agreement from 1977 and a Free Trade Agreement from 1991. They are not in Schengen.

Fishing quotas is the major bone of contention and 2013-14 EU actually sanctioned the Faroes because they fished too many mackerells and herrings, so DK near the end of the conflict had to  boycott a part of our state (which is ridiculous). Like not allowing Faroese ships to buy provisions in Danish harbours etc.

I meant in terms of their official relationship to the EU; as DavidB. said, they're not "Overseas Countries and Territories" like Anguilla, Aruba, New Caledonia, Greenland, etc.

But apparently, per Wikipedia, Akrotiri and Dhekelia, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, and Northern Cyprus are in the same boat as the Faroes.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2015, 02:01:28 AM »

No one knows if gay marriage is recognized in the Faroe Islands simply because no couple ever brought a case before the courts. And that is the Courts which correspond to do so.
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2015, 02:06:22 AM »

The results leave only two combinations:

SD-Rep and either HR/Progress

SD-UP-CP-HR

with such easy combinations, how long would it take until the new government is done?
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2015, 02:26:42 AM »

Finally our French friend was right: Republic is doing better than expected.

Nah, he said they would top the poll. They are fourth.
Well they end up 2nd, and overperforming the latest polling by 2-3 points, but still, I admit I was wrong. It's just I had seen them overperforming nicely in the Danish generals, and I reckoned it could end up the same, but SD overperformed even more !

Let's see how the government making process goes for my second prediction! Wink
jmlv
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2015, 02:34:15 AM »

Some reflections:

a 17 coalition could maybe be OK fo a start but weak in the long run: apparently, it is not uncommon that some MP moves from party to party during the term.

On gay marriage: my guess is that it will not be in force until next year. Last time, they introduced an opposition bill in November and was discussed in March.

I am not sure how the tempo works in the Faroese Assembly but if that is repeated, probably Politicus can say more abour this, but ame-sex marriage would not be in force until spring as earliest or thats my guess at least. Besides, they need to coordinate with the Danish authorities (as they did in Greenland). In Greenland it was approved in May and comes to force in October, but there was a lot of preparation and negotiations before for months.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies