Hollywood and the WWII
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:35:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Hollywood and the WWII
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hollywood and the WWII  (Read 601 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »

How did the american entertainment industry present us the World War Two since 1945?

Do you think that there was a shift on the Hollywood views of the WWII?

I have the impression that in the immediate postwar years, there were many movies about the Pacific front. In the recent time, there are many movies about the Western European front.

If this shift really happenned, do you think geopolitics played a role?

Although there were important battles between Americans and Germans, the largest % of the Wehrmacht was destroyed by the Red Army. The most important enemies of the Americans were the Japanese. Maybe, in the worst years of the Cold War, there was few willing to show the former enemy of the present enemy as the biggest villains.
Maybe, when the USA started to support Israel in the Middle East conflicts, the interest on horror committed by the nazis increased.

And maybe, movie directors think that German military uniforms are fancy to show in the big screen.
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »

Not sure how it might have changed since 1945, but I would imagine that the nazis are much better movie material. Due to their horrific war crimes they are pretty much the ultimate bad guy. And whilst Japan for sure commited quite a few war crimes on their own they are more of an average bad guy.

Apart from that I think you are on to something when you mention German military uniforms. My gut feeling is that the nazis were much more into appearance and used it in a powerful way. Not only in their use of symbols etc. but also how they published their orchestrated events (Leni Riefenstahl etc.) What worked on the German public might also work on movie audiences, though more in terms of selling tickets rather than adopting nazi ideology..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies