UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:40:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28
Author Topic: UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)  (Read 85857 times)
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2016, 04:31:58 AM »

It's the LibDems. Overperforming in Tory by-elections is their thing.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2016, 05:35:44 AM »

They've been doing it in council by-elections for over a year now o/c.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »

I think that they will carry on doing well in areas like this, but I don't think we'll see them (credibly) trying to outflank Labour from the left in urban seats any time soon.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »

I think that they will carry on doing well in areas like this, but I don't think we'll see them (credibly) trying to outflank Labour from the left in urban seats any time soon.

You can't really put anything past the Lib Dems...

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2016, 12:40:45 PM »

Notable thing here is what didn't happen; yes there was a Liberal SurgeTM but no tactical flow of votes from Labour despite all the old tricks being played. For the moment at least Clegg's legacy lives on...
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2016, 07:06:37 AM »

It looks like Zac Goldsmith is about to resign as an MP over the Heathrow decision, triggering a Richmond Park by-election.

I don't think he's ever specified whether he'd actually stand in it, but it would make most sense if he did stand as an independent.  (It surely makes no sense for him to be an official Tory candidate, standing as the Government party's candidate to protest against a Government decision.)

Richmond Park was Lib Dem held from 1997 to 2010.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »

The Lib Dems are going to wet themselves.

If Zac does stand again; he was a leave campaigner in the EU ref, and Richmond voted 70%-30% to stay in.

Although that will pay off against his perceived integrity in resigning now.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2016, 08:03:47 AM »

Doing this sort of stunt didn't do David Davis any long-term harm...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:53 AM »

They won't- but the Greens and Labour should stand down
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2016, 12:35:23 PM »

This is going to be a completely ridiculous circus. But that's British politics in the Year of Our Lord 2016.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »

This is going to be a completely ridiculous circus. But that's British politics in the Year of Our Lord 2016.

Politics in this country went crazy on 24 June this year. I mean that.
dadge
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -4.50

« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2016, 05:31:41 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Voters may be less interested in his "integrity" (What a farce it would be if every MP resigned whenever they disagreed with a govt decision) and more in his stupidity for carrying out his threat. The by election will waste £££ and will resolve nothing Heathrow-wise since his main challenger agrees with him on the thing he's resigning about. Meanwhile it gives the Lib Dems/Remainers six weeks to air their grievances about Brexit and racism, two things that Zac would rather not talk about.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2016, 05:36:34 AM »

Will Vince Cable want to contest this seat? His neck of the woods.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2016, 07:22:25 AM »

Will Vince Cable want to contest this seat? His neck of the woods.

The Lib Dems have nominated Sarah Olney as their candidate - apparently she's only been a member since the last General Election.

So I'm not sure if there is scope for Cable to replace Olney as candidate.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2016, 07:26:07 AM »

Why? As a working-class person I couldn't care less whether the Tories or the Lib Dems win. It's a battle between cancer and dementia.
joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:22 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2016, 09:28:26 AM by joevsimp »

Why should they? If anything the Liberals should. Goldsmith is lukewarmly in favour of expanding gatwick or stanstead "if and when necessary" but not yet. We're  against any airport expansion and Labour are asking for "assurances" presumably so that they can work out whether the fag packet with their policy written on it is stuck to their arse or their elbow.

With the Tories not standing am official candidate (presumanly so that they don't have to boot Zac out once he's finished with his song and dance) we're  heading for the farcical situation of a byelection being fought on a single issue with no candidate in favour of one side of the argument and the main challenger trying to fight it on a totally different single issue. It's like Haltemprice and Howden all over again but worse (And hopefully we can go one better than then and get a clear 10%)
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2016, 04:59:36 PM »

Why should they? If anything the Liberals should. Goldsmith is lukewarmly in favour of expanding gatwick or stanstead "if and when necessary" but not yet. We're  against any airport expansion and Labour are asking for "assurances" presumably so that they can work out whether the fag packet with their policy written on it is stuck to their arse or their elbow.

With the Tories not standing am official candidate (presumanly so that they don't have to boot Zac out once he's finished with his song and dance) we're  heading for the farcical situation of a byelection being fought on a single issue with no candidate in favour of one side of the argument and the main challenger trying to fight it on a totally different single issue. It's like Haltemprice and Howden all over again but worse (And hopefully we can go one better than then and get a clear 10%)

Erm...why should the LibDems step down when they're the ones who've actually held this seat as little as six years ago? I don't think Labour should stand down, but that's a bit unfair.

Davis got away with HnH because he was standing against a Labour government's policy. ZacAttack probably won't be so lucky.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2016, 09:30:51 PM »

No Airport expansion, zilch? Like not even just no net expansion (e.g. close City for an expanded Heathrow etc.?)

This whole airport expansion deal confuses me. Especially as seemingly everybody was aware of the HeathrowHub proposal (i.e. expand the Northern runway), didn't point out anything explicitly wrong with it and then proceed with the very flawed Gatwick/third runway plans, anyway.
joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2016, 06:39:22 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2016, 07:00:52 AM by joevsimp »

I meant that it would make most sense policy wise for the lib dems to stand down for Goldsmith since they are the closest in policy over airport expansion. But if they're going to run on a different issue then the rest of us should treat it as business as usual: I'm resigned to Brexit happening regardless (eventually) not convinced that the Progressive Alliance(tm) will ever happen * and, frankly, there are enough far worse specimens in the Tory party than ZG that  A.N. Other Lib Dem probably won't be enough of an improvement to realign the political landscape over, I doubt that the  Labour and Green candidates would poll much more than 15% so the lib dems should win on a similar swing to witney from a higher  starting point and with a much lower floor for labour

* having said that though. If Labour stand down first and are willing to make some serious commitments on cooperation for next year and beyond to 2020, then it's worth a go. I just can't see richmond or any other clp agreeing to stand down
joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »

No Airport expansion, zilch? Like not even just no net expansion (e.g. close City for an expanded Heathrow etc.?)

This whole airport expansion deal confuses me. Especially as seemingly everybody was aware of the HeathrowHub proposal (i.e. expand the Northern runway), didn't point out anything explicitly wrong with it and then proceed with the very flawed Gatwick/third runway plans, anyway.

It's certainly no new runways in the south east (a catchy slogan if ever there was one) not sure about better use of capacity elsewhere (IE  improving rail access and terminal at Luton, dispersing more holiday traffic to there, Southend etc) my workplace is not exactly compatible with me looking up chapters from the Manifesto for Sustainable Society.

As for the Heathrow hub runway extension, it was an independent proposal backed by nobody and you'd still have the problem of crossing the M25. It did address some of the access issues though, and if HS2 ever gets built I'd love to see the option of trains reversing onto the great western line at old oak common to go on to heathrow; 20% of Manchester's passengers are flying connecting flights to heathrow atm
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2016, 11:36:58 AM »

A certain former LibDem MP for Richmond has just done her usual thing again, which is presumably not wonderful news for the party here.

A comment from a LibDem member elsewhere made me laugh:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2016, 05:13:20 AM »

Well Labour have at least one potential candidate.  And a pro-runway onre at that

http://wembleymatters.blogspot.com/2016/10/pro-heathrow-cllr-stopp-throws-his-hat.html
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »

We have our first poll

GOLDSMITH (Ind) 56% (down 2 from the Con share in 2015)
OLNEY (Lib Dem) 29% (up 10 from the LD share in 2015)
LABOUR 10% (-2)
OTHER 5% (-5)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2016, 12:39:45 PM »

Constituency polling is (as I pointed out to everyone endlessly last year AND WAS PROVEN RIGHT) trash, but a gap like that is indicative I guess.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2016, 06:58:18 AM »

Better add Sleaford and North Hykeham to this list
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies