What happens to the Democratic Party if Trump wins?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:08:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What happens to the Democratic Party if Trump wins?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What happens to the Democratic Party if Trump wins?  (Read 3288 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 02:09:26 PM »

It does what the GOP did after Ford lost, sheds its center and doubles down on ideology...that's on the backburner to being anti-Trump just as the GOP was mostly anti-Carter.

Come 2020 they nominate an outspoken and unapologetic progressive and likely manage to defeat trump.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »

It does what the GOP did after Ford lost, sheds its center and doubles down on ideology...that's on the backburner to being anti-Trump just as the GOP was mostly anti-Carter.

Come 2020 they nominate an outspoken and unapologetic progressive and likely manage to defeat trump.

Basically, we can beg for bubba's votes back or wait until Trump screws up.
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 02:47:46 PM »

Wasn't Reagan good at that? But he never fully controlled Congress.

By 2018-2020, that will have been over a 10-12 years ago, depending on which election we're talking about. The party itself and the voters it is comprised of has changed and there are limits to what Democrats can really campaign on and where. Yes, Democrats can try to make inroads in more moderate/conservative regions by picking and choosing certain positions like that, but I don't think we'll see as large of a crowd as we did back then, mainly because of the way the parties/electorate has changed since. The growth of Millennials means the party itself as a whole is / has been shifting left.

As for Reagan - you mean do nothing and take no blame? Reagan was well-liked and he was a natural charmer. Trump and Reagan are nothing alike in this regard. Reagan/Republicans also controlled the Senate for most of his presidency, and he had a cooperative House chalk full of blue dogs/conservative Democrats.. and that was on top of a time in American politics where Congress wasn't completely polarized and hostile like it is now. You can thank Gingrich and Republicans for that.
Democrats didn't help matters by jamming ObamaCare down our throats.
hopper
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »

Anyways, Democrats will do nothing to change if Trump wins one time. Its just one Presidential Election. Now if Trump wins a second term Dems might change a couple things but I don't know what those couple things are.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »

Maybe, but it's not Obama's fault for what the GOP in Congress has become. They mobilized to obstruct as soon as he got into office, despite America clearly and overwhelmingly rejecting their party. Since then, we've seen a never-ending escalation of extremely reckless and ethically bankrupt behavior from Republicans in Congress that is essentially a mix of do-whatever-to-win-elections and "my way or the highway"-train of thought.
hopper
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2016, 03:21:30 PM by hopper »

Maybe, but it's not Obama's fault for what the GOP in Congress has become. They mobilized to obstruct as soon as he got into office, despite America clearly and overwhelmingly rejecting their party. Since then, we've seen a never-ending escalation of extremely reckless and ethically bankrupt behavior from Republicans in Congress that is essentially a mix of do-whatever-to-win-elections and "my way or the highway"-train of thought.

Under Obama the Dems lost 64 US House Seats in 2010 in part because of ObamaCare. Obviously in 2010 the American people rejected the Democrats the way people rejected Republicans in 2006 and 2008.

Yes ObamaCare is the on the Democrats because they voted for the bill and Obama signed it into law. The Republicans didn't vote for it because its a bad bill.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »

With Trump on top, we should probably do the same.
hopper
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »

With Trump on top, we should probably do the same.
I welcome that if the Congressional Dems want to vote "no" on a piece of legislation let them vote "no".
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2016, 03:40:08 PM by Virginia »

Under Obama the Dems lost 64 US House Seats in 2010 in part because of ObamaCare. Obviously in 2010 the American people rejected the Democrats the way people rejected Republicans in 2006 and 2008.

Yes ObamaCare is the on the Democrats because they voted for the bill and Obama signed it into law. The Republicans didn't vote for it because its a bad bill.

hopper, this isn't about Obamacare. Obstruction over obamacare is not even what I'm talking about. It's one thing to obstruct a bill like that, but GOP actions have gone way, way, way past that. Are you content/fine with the Republican Party's behavior/tactics in Congress? If you are, then I don't even know what to say.
hopper
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »

hopper, this isn't about Obamacare. Obstruction over obamacare is not even what I'm talking about. It's one thing to obstruct a bill like that, but GOP actions have gone way, way, way past that. Are you content/fine with the Republican Party's behavior/tactics in Congress? If you are, then I don't even know what to say.
I'm not thrilled the way Congress works right now(too polarized as you said before) but I wasn't thrilled with the Dems controlling Congress either during Obama's 2 years(2009 and 2010.) The Republicans could barely stop anything from passing for those 2 years.

I do feel the Dems played a part in polarizing the electorate by passing ObamaCare which has never been popular.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 06:03:09 PM »

I'm not thrilled the way Congress works right now(too polarized as you said before) but I wasn't thrilled with the Dems controlling Congress either during Obama's 2 years(2009 and 2010.) The Republicans could barely stop anything from passing for those 2 years.

I do feel the Dems played a part in polarizing the electorate by passing ObamaCare which has never been popular.
I still think the question is whether there would be any incentive to cooperate after the last 8 years.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 06:33:57 PM »

John Fetterman would be a great candidate to appeal to working class whites.
...while still inspiring the new base.
Hilldog
Rookie
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2016, 01:23:56 AM »

Why does he have to agree with you.  Let's be tolerant and open minded of conservatives who have different views. You support tolerance right?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 09:09:33 AM »

Why does he have to agree with you.  Let's be tolerant and open minded of conservatives who have different views. You support tolerance right?
And what I am saying is that this isn't about freedom, equality or other liberal ideas, this is about incentive. Why should  Da work with someone who has no interests in working with them? That's "giving up"
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »

I didn't say he has to agree. Besides the point that Obamacare is not the central focus here (imo), I said if he thinks their behavior in Congress is OK than I essentially think he's being ridiculous. But, he doesn't, so it doesn't matter.

If I want to be intolerant of conservative views, then I'll do so. I'm all for hearing someone's point of view, but I am under no obligation to tolerate idiocy (not referring to hopper) or behavior by politicians that I view as nothing but partisan obstruction.

Don't bother trying to play that whole "I thought liberals were tolerant" crap on me. I never said I tolerate everything and anything.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »

It would be a mistake for Democrats to over-analyze a loss in this situation imo.  This election hasn't really been about ideas as much as personalities.  It would be better if they blamed Hillary Clinton for being an unpopular candidate that ran an incompetent campaign.  Who am I kidding though, they'll obviously blame Bernie Sanders.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »

Depends.  If Trump wins big, like by an Obama 2008 margin nationally, then I see Democrats running to the center on economics and trying to pick up as many libertarian Johnson/reluctant Trump types as possible for 2018-20.  If Trump wins very narrowly, especially if it is an EV/PV split, I expect a full on Sanders/left wing Trump push to burn all the institutions down to cleanse American society.  The 2020 nominee could be an outsider populist who repeatedly makes "go back into your cave and shove your racist, unamerican filth where the sun don't shine!" style statements during the primary.

If Trump has a decisive but narrow win like Obama 2012, I could see either strategy being tried.
At either rate, the map will look very interesting if Ohio and Iowa are being Missorified. The Democrats will have to find a way to win without states dominated by old mill towns. Hard Hat Harry is going the way of Bubba. They either have to get rich angry women (or more pro-choice pro-pot Republicans) to vote for them or college students to vote. Simple as that.
Hilldog
Rookie
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2016, 09:56:07 PM »

I didn't say he has to agree. Besides the point that Obamacare is not the central focus here (imo), I said if he thinks their behavior in Congress is OK than I essentially think he's being ridiculous. But, he doesn't, so it doesn't matter.

If I want to be intolerant of conservative views, then I'll do so. I'm all for hearing someone's point of view, but I am under no obligation to tolerate idiocy (not referring to hopper) or behavior by politicians that I view as nothing but partisan obstruction.

Don't bother trying to play that whole "I thought liberals were tolerant" crap on me. I never said I tolerate everything and anything.

There's no good politicians, but it sounds like you tolerate everything except for conservatism.  What is this "toleration" really about?
hopper
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2016, 04:14:29 AM »

Depends.  If Trump wins big, like by an Obama 2008 margin nationally, then I see Democrats running to the center on economics and trying to pick up as many libertarian Johnson/reluctant Trump types as possible for 2018-20.  If Trump wins very narrowly, especially if it is an EV/PV split, I expect a full on Sanders/left wing Trump push to burn all the institutions down to cleanse American society.  The 2020 nominee could be an outsider populist who repeatedly makes "go back into your cave and shove your racist, unamerican filth where the sun don't shine!" style statements during the primary.

If Trump has a decisive but narrow win like Obama 2012, I could see either strategy being tried.
At either rate, the map will look very interesting if Ohio and Iowa are being Missorified. The Democrats will have to find a way to win without states dominated by old mill towns. Hard Hat Harry is going the way of Bubba. They either have to get rich angry women (or more pro-choice pro-pot Republicans) to vote for them or college students to vote. Simple as that.
Iowa can be Missouri-ified if you will but Ohio I don't think so.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2016, 05:49:40 AM »

If Clinton wins despite it this year, I think Ohio is being Southernized or if it becomes like EV 300+ for Ds.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »

There's a possibility the Dems would nominate Kanye West in revenge.
hopper
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »

If Clinton wins despite it this year, I think Ohio is being Southernized or if it becomes like EV 300+ for Ds.
Yeah but Franklin County is the fastest growing county in Ohio(numerically) and it voted 60-40% Obama in 2012. I think in Southern Ohio voters are turned off by the Dems "war on coal" though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies