What needs to be done with police and communities of color?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:14:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What needs to be done with police and communities of color?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What needs to be done with police and communities of color?  (Read 2060 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »

I'm getting pretty fed up of this racial unrest, It's getting to the point where you are just fed up..the whole rotten thing..trigger happy cops, BLM/leftist protesters/agitators, anti-white propaganda being propped up, etc. What needs to be done between police and communities of color? Should the police cease to enter these communities or interact with African Americans and Latinos in general, should there be more or less policing, or should these communities control their own problems by themselves?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:36:56 PM »

I'm getting pretty fed up of this racial unrest

Awwww, I'm sorry those mean, nasty blacks are hurting your feelings. Do you need a safe space?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:38:02 PM »

I'm getting pretty fed up of this racial unrest

Awwww, I'm sorry those mean, nasty black guys are hurting your feelings. Do you need a safe space?

The racial unrest on both sides. I don't care about the agitators. Both the cops and BLM. I'm fed up with it. Don't put words in my mouth.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:55:04 PM »

Criminal Justice Reform

cop cameras
disclose whenever someone is killed/harmed because of an interaction with police and how/why with documentation
better police-neighborhood relations
independent investigations
train police to limit the use of force and how to de-escalate and have good public relations
get rid of mandatory minimum sentencing
no prison for nonviolent or low-level offenders
health treatment for drugs and other addiction, not prison
end the death penalty
legalize marijuana (jail sentences disproportionately affect African-Americans)
end for-profit prisons, make it more rehabilitation-focused
universal voter registration
repair the Voting Rights Act
help with the expenses of childcare, college, etc.

A lot of these go for everyone, and would help everyone, too.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 11:01:16 PM »

Criminal Justice Reform

cop cameras
disclose whenever someone is killed/harmed because of an interaction with police and how/why with documentation
train police to limit the use of force and how to de-escalate and have good public relations
end the death penalty

I think the death penalty should remain. I don't want felons near me or my family. They can't be trusted.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 11:23:13 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2016, 04:30:43 PM by Blue3 »

Not true for all felons, but there's also this thing called a jail.

What about the rest?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:04:04 AM »

I'm getting pretty fed up of this racial unrest, It's getting to the point where you are just fed up...

The media makes it seem worse than it is. There were like 300 race riots between 1966-1969.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:09:54 AM »

Criminal Justice Reform

cop cameras
end the death penalty

I think the death penalty should remain. I don't want felons near me or my family. They can't be trusted.

#KillAllFelons
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »

Criminal Justice Reform

cop cameras
end the death penalty

But you understand that not all felons get the death penalty, right? And that the people that are on death row now won't just be let out on the streets if the death penalty is abolished? I ask because last time you stated this sentiment as your reason for supporting the death penalty and someone pressed you on it, you posted something incoherent about Obama pardoning drug offenders, which has nothing to do with the death penalty. Just looking for some clarification on what you mean by your post above.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 04:09:18 PM »

Something needs to be done about the root causes of crime in the black community, including poverty, fatherlessness, and gang culture. These problems are an important reason for the poor state of relations between police and the black community and any solution that does not address these will struggle to effect real change.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2016, 04:48:10 PM by Spicy Purrito »

Criminal Justice Reform

cop cameras
end the death penalty

#KillAllFelons

Nueter 'em. Lol
That is a good list, though.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 05:22:07 PM »

Recognize that this is an issue of class with race being a tertiary, and distracting, factor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 11:31:01 PM »

Recognize that this is an issue of class with race being a tertiary, and distracting, factor.

Sorry, but that's just not true. Police certainly fails working-class Whites too in some ways, but racism IS a real issue.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 08:18:15 AM »

Sorry, but that's just not true. Police certainly fails working-class Whites too in some ways, but racism IS a real issue.

I'm not saying that racism isn't a real issue. I'm making the case that class trumps race when dealing with social class and status.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »

I'm not saying that racism isn't a real issue. I'm making the case that class trumps race when dealing with social class and status.

In many respects that's true, but when it comes to police brutality/murder, race often turns out to be the most decisive factor. A middle-class Black person is more likely to be a victim of it than a working-class white.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 10:33:22 AM »

I think I would have to agree. The given statistics do show a problematic skew in the race of police shooting victims, but a super majority of people shot by the police are not black. I haven't seen data on the income level of police shooting victims but I'd bet a super majority of them are lower income.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »

I think I would have to agree. The given statistics do show a problematic skew in the race of police shooting victims, but a super majority of people shot by the police are not black. I haven't seen data on the income level of police shooting victims but I'd bet a super majority of them are lower income.
About a third are black. IIRC
Hilldog
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 10:53:16 PM »

You're saying we should treat them differently?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »

If we're talking about the proportions in which a particular group is victimized, controlling for confounding factors is a necessity. That's really fundamental to social science research, yet it is somehow ignored all too often.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »

What are the stats on upper middle class and upper class Black folks being killed by police?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 10:36:12 PM »

And, the media fans the flames of situations before the investigation is complete.  But, the obvious answer is to encourage traditional families where the father is involved in the child's life.  Society needs to stop accepting one night stands.  That would be a good start and lead towards a massive decline in poverty and crime once those kids raised in two-parent (biological mother and father) homes grow up.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »

And, the media fans the flames of situations before the investigation is complete.  But, the obvious answer is to encourage traditional families where the father is involved in the child's life.  Society needs to stop accepting one night stands.  That would be a good start and lead towards a massive decline in poverty and crime once those kids raised in two-parent (biological mother and father) homes grow up.

I wonder if there is much correlation between a community's sex life and that community's welfare. But I know that most very conservative countries have struggling (though many are growing quickly) or undiversified economies. Though there are countries that are both very sexually conservative and successful and vice versa and converse.

It could also be that having a sex life is counterproductive when you are trying to get an economy going but once you reach a certain level of development, you need to have either a very inclusive society, a society that props itself up forcefully, or in the case of the Romans, both.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 09:40:16 AM »

The very first thing we need to do is look at this issue as an individual problem, not a group problem. Instead of blaming all cops, or all blacks, we should look at each one as an individual. If a cop is racist, that cop is racist. If a black guy is a criminal, then that black guy is a criminal. Likewise, if a cop is just doing his job, then the cop was just doing his job. If a black guy is innocent, then that black guy is innocent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies