Duterte: Hitler killed millions of Jews, I will kill millions of drug addicts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:40:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Duterte: Hitler killed millions of Jews, I will kill millions of drug addicts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Duterte: Hitler killed millions of Jews, I will kill millions of drug addicts  (Read 3719 times)
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte compared his campaign to kill criminals to the Holocaust, saying he would like to "slaughter" millions of addicts just like Adolf Hitler "massacred" millions of Jewish people.

"Hitler massacred three million Jews. Now, there are 3 million drug addicts. ... I'd be happy to slaughter them," he told reporters early Friday, according to GMA News.

"You know my victims, I would like to be, all criminals, to finish the problem of my country and save the next generation from perdition," he said.

The comment was a response to critics who have likened him to Hitler.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/09/29/duterte-hitler-killed-3-million-jews-i-will-kill-3-million-drug-dealers/
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »

Well, at least he have some goals and want to realize them. Just like on those motivational-coaching posters and info-graphics.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:20:24 PM »

Well, at least he have some goals and want to realize them. Just like on those motivational-coaching posters and info-graphics.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »

There ought to be limits to free speech. At the very least, saying certain things should make someone ineligible to run for political office.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »

Can someone just take him out already?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 02:53:04 PM »

We need to stop all remittances flowing to the Philippines and consider severe sanctions with a major official downgrading in our relations. 

But then...we have our own Duterte on the ballot.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 03:16:45 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2016, 03:18:57 PM by ag »

I would simply stop all government-to-government contacts. US troops should be withdrawn from Mindanao (and everywhere else in the country) within a week or less - whether Philippine government is ready to take over or not. Embassador should be recalled for indefinite consultations, with a junior diplomat left in charge of skeleton staff. Phone calls should be returned by junior officials. US businessmen should be proactively informed that US government will not be able to protect their interests in any way if anything goes wrong. Philippines are of insufficient importance to the US to bother much in this case. If China wants to take over as their main protector, it should be welcome.

And, of course, the fact that Israel still has an embassador in Manila is a sign of how hypocritical that country´s government is. Had a head of any Muslim or European state said something 1/10th as offensive, they would have been jumping up and down in fake rage. They seem to be pretty damn silent.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 03:49:50 PM »

Obama, please drone this man.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:54:52 PM »

I would simply stop all government-to-government contacts. US troops should be withdrawn from Mindanao (and everywhere else in the country) within a week or less - whether Philippine government is ready to take over or not. Embassador should be recalled for indefinite consultations, with a junior diplomat left in charge of skeleton staff. Phone calls should be returned by junior officials. US businessmen should be proactively informed that US government will not be able to protect their interests in any way if anything goes wrong. Philippines are of insufficient importance to the US to bother much in this case. If China wants to take over as their main protector, it should be welcome.

Uh, yeah, I actually think Duterte would be okay with this. Tongue His side of the Pilipino political spectrum wants US troops out of the country.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »

Self-Godwinning isn't something you see every day.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 09:23:30 PM »

Uh, yeah, I actually think Duterte would be okay with this. Tongue His side of the Pilipino political spectrum wants US troops out of the country.

Sure. Let him handle it. I think, it would be a coincidence of wants.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 12:44:03 AM »

Suddenly his previous calls for killing 100,000 people seems... moderate.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 04:54:42 PM »

Suddenly his previous calls for killing 100,000 people seems... moderate.

Gotta play to the centrist undecideds who only want to slaughter six figures.

Seriously though, this is monstrous. And from his actions so far, he seems willing to carry that boast out. Someone needs to coup him, or there needs to be a revolution, or something.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »

There ought to be limits to free speech. At the very least, saying certain things should make someone ineligible to run for political office.

No, there shouldn't. If you don't like what he said, don't listen to it. You can't limit free speech. You don't like free speech, move to a totalitarian state like North Korea. You can't shut down people just because you disagree with them.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »

Duterte might have been elected democratically, but he's rapidly approaching the territory when, due to one's action, there's no legitimacy to claim anymore.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 05:52:05 PM »

No, there shouldn't. If you don't like what he said, don't listen to it. You can't limit free speech. You don't like free speech, move to a totalitarian state like North Korea. You can't shut down people just because you disagree with them.

Calling for people being killed after proving you're already capable of doing this is a free speech?

K.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 07:25:27 PM »

Best part of the quote is the moderate hero Holocaust denial.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 07:39:14 PM »

The issue is not what he says, but that he follows on his speech. Is murder free speech?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 08:01:35 PM »

This guy is a complete lunatic. I suppose this shows us the dark side of democracy: Sometimes, the majority make the wrong choice.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »

This guy is a complete lunatic. I suppose this shows us the dark side of democracy: Sometimes, the majority make the wrong choice.

Duterte won a FPTP election with a 39% plurality. Which is itself actually similar to the numbers Hitler was pulling in 1932-1933.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 08:25:42 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2016, 08:28:27 PM by Phyllis Dare, Secret Agent »

One salient, and sobering, difference is that the German voting public put up a surprisingly respectable amount of electoral resistance in the first year of the Third Reich. The March 1933 election was rife with voter intimidation and fraud--at polling places with long lines stormtroopers would ask everybody who wasn't voting Nazi to raise their hands, then mark down the precinct's entire population for the Nazis and send everybody home when nobody did--and the Nazis still only netted 44%. In November 1933, a completely unfree referendum-type event whose ballots looked like this, over three million voters still cast blank votes.* Duterte, on the other hand, became surreally, terrifyingly popular immediately.

*In my opinion, all of this makes how thoroughly most Germans capitulated later on even more sickening and tragic.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 08:29:36 PM »

For an unrelated but fairly surprising tangent, I've read that Duterte actually supports gay marriage and frequently endorsed LGBT rights as mayor.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 09:09:24 PM »

I'm more concerned with the fact that this is what he thinks than the fact that he says it. And it's much better that he says it so that we know of it. 

Do you live in a world where people not saying things mean they don't happen?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 10:42:23 PM »

I'm more concerned with the fact that this is what he thinks than the fact that he says it. And it's much better that he says it so that we know of it. 

Do you live in a world where people not saying things mean they don't happen?

What a public officeholder says has an impact on people's attitudes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »

*In my opinion, all of this makes how thoroughly most Germans capitulated later on even more sickening and tragic.

Could it be that the bulk of "hard" opposition to the Nazi regime in its first years was made up of communists, and that it died down after the Molotov-Ribentrop pact?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies