Vatican's new rule: not allowed to scatter cremated ashes, or keep at home
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:21:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Vatican's new rule: not allowed to scatter cremated ashes, or keep at home
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vatican's new rule: not allowed to scatter cremated ashes, or keep at home  (Read 1230 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »

Well this is a step backwards in the realm of common sense.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vatican-no-more-scattering-cremation-ashes-100117264.html

Opinions?

Any valid justification?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »

"OMG, I am so unfulfilled by not being able to pour ashes all over the place!"
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:00:17 PM »

That's why I'm not Catholic, and don't listen to anything the Vatican or the Pope has to say. I'll bury my loved ones the way they wanted, thank you very much
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:09:45 PM »

This is not a normal reaction...
Small L
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:27:17 PM »

New rule? This has always been the teaching. Don't have your ashes scattered. It has to do with showing proper respect to a human body.

Also, if your reason for not being Catholic really is that you want to scatter people's ashes all over the place, or keep Grandma in the china cabinet, I would seriously question your priorities.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »

Finally admitting that all this caring stuff you people do is absurd is abnormal? Oh, wow.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »

New rule? This has always been the teaching. Don't have your ashes scattered. It has to do with showing proper respect to a human body.

Also, if your reason for not being Catholic really is that you want to scatter people's ashes all over the place, or keep Grandma in the china cabinet, I would seriously question your priorities.
No? I've known priests who were cremated and the church scattered their ashes in the ocean.

As the article says

But in 1963, the Vatican explicitly allowed cremation as long as it didn't suggest a denial of faith about resurrection.

And who said this will prevent someone from being Catholic? I'm saying it's a step backwards.

Finally admitting that all this caring stuff you people do is absurd is abnormal? Oh, wow.
Huh
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:24:49 PM »

It's not good to litter.
Small L
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:56:54 PM »

No? I've known priests who were cremated and the church scattered their ashes in the ocean.

As the article says

But in 1963, the Vatican explicitly allowed cremation as long as it didn't suggest a denial of faith about resurrection.

If you google around it isn't hard to find sources that show the Church already clearly taught against scattering as recently as 2012, so this "new rule" is not new. If you read the document from 1963, you'll see that while it allows for cremation, it does not mention the spreading of ashes. This is not the type of issue in which silence should be interpreted as the loosening of a restriction. On the contrary, we have the USCCB and canon lawyers stating very clearly that the spreading of ashes is not in keeping with proper reverence for a human body.

Allowing for cremation ≠ allowing the spreading of ashes.

And who said this will prevent someone from being Catholic? I'm saying it's a step backwards.
I was responding facetiously to this post:

That's why I'm not Catholic, and don't listen to anything the Vatican or the Pope has to say. I'll bury my loved ones the way they wanted, thank you very much
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 10:38:39 PM »

It's a little bit broader for me: I'm not going to let some old men in Rome dictate my life or be the foundation of my relationship with God.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 11:23:50 PM »

It's a little bit broader for me: I'm not going to let some old men in Rome dictate my life or be the foundation of my relationship with God.

"Some old men in Rome" who happen to be God's chosen successors on Earth.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 02:25:28 AM »

According to themselves.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:26 AM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »

Well, if there were ever a relevant time to use that Hillary gif, you nailed it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »

I'm Protestant and even I can admit this is a ridiculous strawman of Catholicism.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2016, 04:10:11 PM by DC Al Fine »

Well this is a step backwards in the realm of common sense.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vatican-no-more-scattering-cremation-ashes-100117264.html

Opinions?

Any valid justification?

Arguing against a religious policy using arguments outside the religious system is unproductive. Eventually it all boils down to 'I reject the premises behind ________'.

You'd be better off asking if Catholicism is true.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 01:19:36 PM »

Cool with me.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »

Those "old men in Rome" have a direct theological lineage that goes back to Christ himself. Something that Protestant churches can't quite claim. Not saying that this justifies all of their decisions of course, but to dismiss them with that kind of straw man is really ridiculous.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 09:55:09 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 12:46:20 AM »

Gotta love how Atlas will use anything as a pretext to reenact the Kulturkampf. Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 02:50:02 AM »

This is more lenient than the funerary rules of plenty of other religions that don't get nearly this much grief about them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies