Most liberal state on social issues?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:35:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most liberal state on social issues?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Most liberal state on social issues?  (Read 5056 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 04:59:17 PM »
« edited: January 15, 2017, 05:09:06 PM by ERM64man »

California isn't uniformly socially liberal.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-proposition-66-death-penalty-passes-1479869920-htmlstory.html

Who is more socially liberal? Someone for gun control and the death penalty, or someone against both?
That is true. Los Angeles County as a whole voted against marijuana legalization. More than 60% of Orange County voted against legalizing marijuana. Some heavily Democratic communities like Hacienda Heights, West Covina, Whittier, Santa Ana, East Garden Grove, and West Anaheim, voted against marijuana legalization by a wide margin.

Did pot fail in Southern California as a whole?  Apart from Hollywood, Southern California seems a lot less liberal culturally to me than Northern California.
I'm not sure if it failed as a whole. I made a mistake, those counties voted for legalization overall, but were very regionally polarized and competitive. The +60% was Orange County voting to keep capital punishment. Los Angeles County outside the city of Los Angeles voted against legalization. Much of the heavily Democratic San Gabriel Valley voted against marijuana legalization. Santa Ana (one of the most heavily Democratic Orange County cities) voted against marijuana legalization. The coastal regions of Orange County (which are interestingly more Republican than Santa Ana) voted for legalization.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 09:01:41 PM »

California.  The prize WOULD have gone to Massachusetts, given they were the first state to legalize marriage equality.  However, their transgender protections are still lacking in a couple areas.  California, however, has all of the social liberal and SJW bases covered: lax abortion laws, marriage equality, comprehensive discrimination protections for everyone in the LGBT spectrum, gun control, legalized marijuana, and "affirmative consent" laws.

Everything looks great! Cheesy

Except for the gun laws...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »

California.  The prize WOULD have gone to Massachusetts, given they were the first state to legalize marriage equality.  However, their transgender protections are still lacking in a couple areas.  California, however, has all of the social liberal and SJW bases covered: lax abortion laws, marriage equality, comprehensive discrimination protections for everyone in the LGBT spectrum, gun control, legalized marijuana, and "affirmative consent" laws.

How are Massachusetts's trans protections lacking?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »

Top 10

1. Vermont
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. New Hampshire
5. Hawaii
6. Illinois
7. Massachusetts
8. New Jersey
9. Minnesota
10. California

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 12:10:56 AM »

This a hard question to answer, becasue "social issues" and "socially liberal" could mean so many things. For example, Intell here has Vermont as the most liberal state, but Vermont is also one of the most gun friendly states, so if you consider supporting gun control a major part of "social liberalism" your list would look different.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 12:24:25 AM »

This a hard question to answer, becasue "social issues" and "socially liberal" could mean so many things. For example, Intell here has Vermont as the most liberal state, but Vermont is also one of the most gun friendly states, so if you consider supporting gun control a major part of "social liberalism" your list would look different.

I excluded gun control from determining social liberalism.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 01:11:37 AM »

A bit of an exaggeration; Vermont is pro-gun for a state as Democratic as it is, but it's not like Wyoming or anything.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 03:43:42 AM »

Massachusetts is a state where most people generally jump through all the right socially liberal hoops in answers to surveys and to an extent in social interactions, but where we aren't entirely on board with things like assisted suicide and for a state as Atlas red as we are have relatively-less-lax abortion laws. The Catholic Church's moral authority here has taken some (in the case of the Archdiocese of Boston hierarchy in particular richly deserved) death blows, but has yet to quite finish bleeding out. We're unique in not really having any issue we're "socially conservative on"--California has the death penalty, Vermont has guns but as Figueira points out not really--but there are limits to how socially liberal we'll go on some issues. I'd say Massachusetts is the most socially liberal in an image-conscious bobo way and Vermont is the most socially liberal in a true believer way. (I honestly prefer the ethos of Vermont, even though I'm not crazy about some of the policy outcomes.)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 04:08:17 AM »

Top 10

1. Vermont
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. New Hampshire
5. Hawaii
6. Illinois
7. Massachusetts
8. New Jersey
9. Minnesota
10. California

Ha at Oregon this is a state that voted to ban gay marriage, and is not that strict on guns(http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Oregon-Gun-Laws.htm)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2017, 07:19:04 AM by Intell »

Top 10

1. Vermont
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. New Hampshire
5. Hawaii
6. Illinois
7. Massachusetts
8. New Jersey
9. Minnesota
10. California

Ha at Oregon this is a state that voted to ban gay marriage, and is not that strict on guns(http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Oregon-Gun-Laws.htm)

2004 Roll Eyes

I said, I excluded guns on the measure of social liberalism, as it's a stupid measure of social liberalism any ways.

Oregon is one of the most socially liberal states in the country, in the country. Massachusetts has a strong socially conservative "underbelly", sometimes reflected in not reflected in state-wide policy, but in attitude, or person's/politicians ideology. It has gotten less these days, since when I was raised there, but it's still there.

Rhode Island, is much stronger in this regard, Massachusetts probably like this if it has lot less universities, and less middle but not upper-middle class liberal WASP's.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 05:00:25 PM »

Top 10

1. Vermont
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. New Hampshire
5. Hawaii
6. Illinois
7. Massachusetts
8. New Jersey
9. Minnesota
10. California

2004 Roll Eyes

I said, I excluded guns on the measure of social liberalism, as it's a stupid measure of social liberalism any ways.

Oregon is one of the most socially liberal states in the country, in the country. Massachusetts has a strong socially conservative "underbelly", sometimes reflected in not reflected in state-wide policy, but in attitude, or person's/politicians ideology. It has gotten less these days, since when I was raised there, but it's still there.

Rhode Island, is much stronger in this regard, Massachusetts probably like this if it has lot less universities, and less middle but not upper-middle class liberal WASP's.

Oregon also rejected GMO labeling and by a 2-1 margin voted to reject giving driver licenses to illegal immigrants
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »

Top 10

1. Vermont
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. New Hampshire
5. Hawaii
6. Illinois
7. Massachusetts
8. New Jersey
9. Minnesota
10. California

2004 Roll Eyes

Oregon also rejected GMO labeling and by a 2-1 margin voted to reject giving driver licenses to illegal immigrants

And, is it fair to say that the SOS election going Republican was largely due to people not liking the previous Democratic SOS prosecuting Christian bakers over not baking a cake for a gay wedding?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 07:13:22 PM »

Top 10

1. Vermont
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. New Hampshire
5. Hawaii
6. Illinois
7. Massachusetts
8. New Jersey
9. Minnesota
10. California

2004 Roll Eyes

And, is it fair to say that the SOS election going Republican was largely due to people not liking the previous Democratic SOS prosecuting Christian bakers over not baking a cake for a gay wedding?

yah that too. 
Bones
TitanMynor
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »

Massachusetts and Vermont come to mind.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length