If Donald Trump wins reelection in 2020, how will you feel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:00:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If Donald Trump wins reelection in 2020, how will you feel?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: If Donald Trump wins reelection in 2020, how will you feel?  (Read 4202 times)
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 07:43:03 AM »

Relieved, but unsurprised.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »

Probably desperately trying to learn Mandarin as the American experiment would have clearly careened to a pathetic denouement.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 09:49:39 AM »

Sad!
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »

Either: he's done a great job by doing the reverse of everything he promised
Or: America is on the brink of collapse
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »

It won't be too shocking. I would be surprised if the race was within single digits.
WTF? I don't see a way the race is a double digit win either way, unless Trump implodes. Half the country already hates Trump, and I mean HATES him, so good luck with him winning by ten or more.

You're assuming that The Administration will let the real vote totals be released.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 11:12:52 AM »

Not surprised, since there was never any reason to suspect the 2020 race would be free and fair.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »

Yuck.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2017, 05:05:34 PM by Virginia »

I think Ginsburg, Breyer, and Kennedy can hang on for four more years, but it's really hard for me to see them lasting eight.  So, if Trump wins reelection, liberals would lose the Supreme Court for at least two generations, maybe three.

The stakes are huge.  The soul of the country may be on the line.

I would say that depends on how long you view a generation as. I don't necessarily think there is a fixed length, as a generation should also represent a break (even if only modest) from the norms of the previous generation, but as a default view, I see it as 20 years.

That being said, in the next 16 - 18 years or so, Alito and Thomas will most likely no longer be on the bench, and that opens up 2 spots that could help realign the court. Roberts is 61 right now, so +20 - 24 years and he will probably be off as well. To be safe, let's say, over the next 24 years 3 conservative seats (and 1 liberal - Sotomayor) will open up. I think Democrats will have a reasonable chance to take it back in the next generation, with the chances increasing depending on how many justices hold on until 2021.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 06:38:15 PM »

Surprised because he has never demonstrated a coherent strategy to winning a first term, let alone a second term. Now Pence winning that 2020 election, I wouldn't be shocked.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 07:06:12 PM »

1. Angry at the Democrats for not being able to defeat such filth.

2. Sad for our country.

3. Pity and some contempt for the people who went to a ballot booth and thought Trump was a good idea.

4. Eager to fight back.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »

Of all the things liberals should be least worried about, it's the Court. The Court isn't going to remain conservative forever in the face of public opposition. For example, the 1930s anti-New Deal Court swung left because of FDR's 1936 victory. They didn't want to be sidelined by history. The Court will go where history is trending. The Court has been conservative in this era because we are in a conservative Republican era that has seen the GOP occupy the White House and Congress.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 07:46:13 PM »

Not surprised in the slightest at the ineptness of the Democratic Party.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »

Well, it'll be the BernBots' fault either way.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2017, 08:46:44 PM »

Even more ashamed of this country, and even more convinced that most voters don't care about much anything other than "sending a message."

If you're ashamed of this country, then get out.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.everydaycitizen.com/2009/02/my_country_right_or_wrong.html

There are times that our Nation needs to be set right.  I grew up during Vietnam and the Civil Rights Movement, so I know something about setting a nation right.  I'm all for setting America right if it's done by folks who love America and wish it well.  I'm not blind to the behaviors that go with the attitudes on this subject, however.  Those who were ashamed of our nation during those times turned out to be the worst of black separatists and the folks who spat on our vets when they came home from Vietnam.  Quite frankly, I wouldn't trust a spouse who was chronically ashamed of me, and I don't trust the loyalty of folks who are chronically ashamed of America.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 11:37:04 PM »

Even more ashamed of this country, and even more convinced that most voters don't care about much anything other than "sending a message."

If you're ashamed of this country, then get out.

http://www.everydaycitizen.com/2009/02/my_country_right_or_wrong.html

There are times that our Nation needs to be set right.  I grew up during Vietnam and the Civil Rights Movement, so I know something about setting a nation right.  I'm all for setting America right if it's done by folks who love America and wish it well.  I'm not blind to the behaviors that go with the attitudes on this subject, however.  Those who were ashamed of our nation during those times turned out to be the worst of black separatists and the folks who spat on our vets when they came home from Vietnam.  Quite frankly, I wouldn't trust a spouse who was chronically ashamed of me, and I don't trust the loyalty of folks who are chronically ashamed of America.

Where else are they going to go? This is our home.

But if this did happened, and there was nothing to explain having no success, then I don't really see a way forward with the Democrats. There will be a way forward. Just nit with them.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 11:53:07 PM »

... and I don't trust the loyalty of folks who are chronically ashamed of America.

Hmm. I've never found myself chronically ashamed of America. Most of my shame surged after a minority of America put a sexual predator scam artist who treats people like garbage into the White House.

I'm not going to act like this country can't do wrong. It can, and it did. And the man elected to lead us is an embarrassment.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 12:11:40 AM »

... and I don't trust the loyalty of folks who are chronically ashamed of America.

Hmm. I've never found myself chronically ashamed of America. Most of my shame surged after a minority of America put a sexual predator scam artist who treats people like garbage into the White House.

I'm not going to act like this country can't do wrong. It can, and it did. And the man elected to lead us is an embarrassment.

And that right there is the ultimate care for your country. You don't enable friends or family to commit abusive, dangerous, or illegal behavior and those who consider their country as part of their family should do the same for their country.
kyc0705

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 12:19:05 AM »

Tired.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 07:40:32 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2017, 07:43:34 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

This, of course, is not what I was saying, but use of sophistry can ignore that.

When I was young, I actively participated in protests against the Vietnam War, and demonstrations demanding Nixon be impeached.  I thought those who complained that the folks involved in that were Communists and Anti-American were demagogic, and I had an Archie Bunker-esque uncle (whom I frequently debated with) supplying me with new arguments all the time.  

Today, I realize that he was not wrong about his core arguments in favor of Americanism.  No, I'm not excusing his over-the-top statements on minorities.  (His conduct was akin to what Archie Bunker would be like if All In The Family were a drama and not a comedy.)  But he was right in saying that many of the war protesters were Anti-American (they were) and that many of the draft evaders were mere cowards (they were, also).  As much of an anti-war believer I was then (and still am; I'm an anti-war Republican), I found it impossible to defend the disgraceful treatment given our returning GIs, calling them "war criminals" and such.  And I found it impossible to actually root for the enemy (as many in the anti-war movement during Vietnam did).  

My relationship with my country is akin to my relationship with my wife.  Now don't get me wrong; family comes before country.  But I'm committed to the success of my wife as a person and to the success of my sons, and my grandchildren.  All of them, even my wonderful wife, have done things over time that I have disagreed with, but I've never rooted for them to fail, and I've always cared about whether or not they succeeded.  My welfare is intertwined with theirs, and I'm not going to damage the whole because I realize that, and because I've made a covenant with my wife for better or worse.

I have also made a covenant with my country; to obey its laws and to support its endeavors.   I recognize every citizen as an American and I don't view one group of citizens as more deserving than others.  But I also recognize that this principle is hopelessly incompatible with the identity politics that the Democratic Party has chosen to embrace.  They are ROOTING for a "majority-minority" nation as an outcome, and the reason is because their loyalty is not to America as a whole, but to that "majority-minority" coalition that they wish to empower.  (Obama made a comment last week about how America was becoming browner, and while the race of Americans doesn't bother me, the identity-politics context that statement was made in was not exactly benign.)  I am willing to work to set my country right, but I am not willing to root for it to fail because its objectives run counter to some sub-group I identify with.

And, yes, I realize that a lot of folks with anti-American attitudes are, indeed, American citizens.  I'm praying that such folks (A) develop a reasonable amount of maturity and (B) get over their self-loathing.  Either that, or undertake the process needed to become an expatriate.  If America's so bad that you have to be constantly ashamed of it because it's not living up to your standards, perhaps your happiness depends on leaving.  If not, I suggest you think hard about the idea that the thing you might best be ashamed of is not your Country, but your Attitude.

And that right there is the ultimate care for your country. You don't enable friends or family to commit abusive, dangerous, or illegal behavior and those who consider their country as part of their family should do the same for their country.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »

This, of course, is not what I was saying, but use of sophistry can ignore that.

When I was young, I actively participated in protests against the Vietnam War, and demonstrations demanding Nixon be impeached.  I thought those who complained that the folks involved in that were Communists and Anti-American were demagogic, and I had an Archie Bunker-esque uncle (whom I frequently debated with) supplying me with new arguments all the time.  

Today, I realize that he was not wrong about his core arguments in favor of Americanism.  No, I'm not excusing his over-the-top statements on minorities.  (His conduct was akin to what Archie Bunker would be like if All In The Family were a drama and not a comedy.)  But he was right in saying that many of the war protesters were Anti-American (they were) and that many of the draft evaders were mere cowards (they were, also).  As much of an anti-war believer I was then (and still am; I'm an anti-war Republican), I found it impossible to defend the disgraceful treatment given our returning GIs, calling them "war criminals" and such.  And I found it impossible to actually root for the enemy (as many in the anti-war movement during Vietnam did).  

My relationship with my country is akin to my relationship with my wife.  Now don't get me wrong; family comes before country.  But I'm committed to the success of my wife as a person and to the success of my sons, and my grandchildren.  All of them, even my wonderful wife, have done things over time that I have disagreed with, but I've never rooted for them to fail, and I've always cared about whether or not they succeeded.  My welfare is intertwined with theirs, and I'm not going to damage the whole because I realize that, and because I've made a covenant with my wife for better or worse.

I have also made a covenant with my country; to obey its laws and to support its endeavors.   I recognize every citizen as an American and I don't view one group of citizens as more deserving than others.  But I also recognize that this principle is hopelessly incompatible with the identity politics that the Democratic Party has chosen to embrace.  They are ROOTING for a "majority-minority" nation as an outcome, and the reason is because their loyalty is not to America as a whole, but to that "majority-minority" coalition that they wish to empower.  (Obama made a comment last week about how America was becoming browner, and while the race of Americans doesn't bother me, the identity-politics context that statement was made in was not exactly benign.)  I am willing to work to set my country right, but I am not willing to root for it to fail because its objectives run counter to some sub-group I identify with.

And, yes, I realize that a lot of folks with anti-American attitudes are, indeed, American citizens.  I'm praying that such folks (A) develop a reasonable amount of maturity and (B) get over their self-loathing.  Either that, or undertake the process needed to become an expatriate.  If America's so bad that you have to be constantly ashamed of it because it's not living up to your standards, perhaps your happiness depends on leaving.  If not, I suggest you think hard about the idea that the thing you might best be ashamed of is not your Country, but your Attitude.

I would agree with all that you have said but it isn't just people who embrace change or want more change that are the only ones who are ashamed of living here. That is what we heard for the last 8 years...that people were ashamed of their country and wanted to rebel in conquer it for themselves if they couldn't win elections anymore. "If they can't take back Congress in 2010, there's going to be a revolution" and so forth. The truth for the current protesters is that a society built around the needs of Evangelical nordic and celtic men over 40 doesn't work for them, not that America is stupid, evil, doesn't have the right to exist, or should cede its territory, power and prestige to other nations.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »

I love these people saying that it would just be bad for this country, as if the rest of the world would be A-OK.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »

Depends on the margin, I'd be either sad (if he wins in a much larger margin in 2016) to upset (smaller margin).
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »

Terrible. Hearing Trump on screen leaves me so anxious, the way he interrupts everyone, the way he offhand lies, his vulgarities, his naked racism. I said in 2016 that I would quit politics if he won, and when he did it took a lot to get me to not do that. If he wins re-election, I won't know how to move forward.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »

Disgusted.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »

Terrible. Hearing Trump on screen leaves me so anxious, the way he interrupts everyone, the way he offhand lies, his vulgarities, his naked racism. I said in 2016 that I would quit politics if he won, and when he did it took a lot to get me to not do that. If he wins re-election, I won't know how to move forward.
How do you quit caring about what is happening around you or yourself?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies