Chancellor Kern: UK should pay 60 Bio. € (Br)exit-fee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:08:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Chancellor Kern: UK should pay 60 Bio. € (Br)exit-fee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chancellor Kern: UK should pay 60 Bio. € (Br)exit-fee  (Read 1986 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 25, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »

Alternatively, how about the UK does what they want and you get nothing?

This seems more likely than the wishful thinking displayed by the liberal internationalists in this thread, given the success Theresa May has had in placing Britain in a position of strength. By issuing the threat of making her nation a tax haven, the EU bureaucrats are desperate to meet her demands. It's quite brilliant, really.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:54:48 AM »

This seems more likely than the wishful thinking displayed by the liberal internationalists in this thread, given the success Theresa May has had in placing Britain in a position of strength. By issuing the threat of making her nation a tax haven, the EU bureaucrats are desperate to meet her demands. It's quite brilliant, really.

I'm sorry, but this is totally delusional.

For a start for the UK to become a serious tax haven they would have cut spending massively. Will this happen? Highly unlikely. Secondly, the EU can easily restrict access to the UK market for banks and individuals post-Brexit, that is in part what the debate about 'passporting' is about (and the EU already has its own tax havens like Liechtenstein, which the UK could never match). The UK is in an extremely weak position and there's no reason to think that the EU will roll over unless you are a deluded Brexiteer.

I saw plenty of concerned European leftists, but European leftists taking something seriously is probably evidence enough that it's delusional nonsense.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:55:28 AM »

I'm sorry, but this is totally delusional.

For a start for the UK to become a serious tax haven they would have cut spending massively. Will this happen? Highly unlikely. Secondly, the EU can easily restrict access to the UK market for banks and individuals post-Brexit, that is in part what the debate about 'passporting' is about (and the EU already has its own tax havens like Liechtenstein, which the UK could never match). The UK is in an extremely weak position and there's no reason to think that the EU will roll over unless you are a deluded Brexiteer.

I saw plenty of concerned European leftists, but European leftists taking something seriously is probably evidence enough that it's delusional nonsense.

What the hell are you talking about?

There is no chance of the UK becoming a serious tax haven - it would have to compete with Liechtenstein for example. It's too big.

I'm just saying that people who I would expect to know something about what was going on were taking it seriously. While I emphatically supported Brexit, I should figure it won't be that easy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies