Lawsuit filed over Georgia mid-decade redistricting in 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:29:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Lawsuit filed over Georgia mid-decade redistricting in 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lawsuit filed over Georgia mid-decade redistricting in 2015  (Read 1407 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/georgia/articles/2017-04-24/lawsuit-2015-redistricting-violated-black-voters-rights

You must be logged in to read this quote.

GAGOP seems very liberal in their use of redrawing districts whenever they feel they are even a little threatened.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:28:16 PM »

I'm honestly not sure how can cast this as illegal. Scummy partisan acts are legal regardless of whether they are scummy partisan acts.
Racial discrimination perhaps?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:20:12 AM »

These people came up, or in some cases were part of, a political culture in which this was perfectly acceptable and often done in many Southern states as part of the ancestral Democratic control.

It is no surprise that the Republicans now engage in it so much and so often.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:18:49 AM »

These people came up, or in some cases were part of, a political culture in which this was perfectly acceptable and often done in many Southern states as part of the ancestral Democratic control.

I wish I could disagree as I do with most to quoque arguments about redistricting, but looking at what happened in NC, TX, and now GA it does seem like a reversion to the norm. There is not a sense of democracy as a virtue in itself, and you have essentially the same slice of society behaving the same way as 50-60 years ago but with different party labels.

You have seen this historically in some northern cities, but not recently.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/georgia/articles/2017-04-24/lawsuit-2015-redistricting-violated-black-voters-rights

GAGOP seems very liberal in their use of redrawing districts whenever they feel they are even a little threatened.

This is kind of a funny complaint, given that Georgia Democrats are famous for underpopulating their districts and overpopulating suburban, Republican districts by up to 9.9% population variance.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »

It is no surprise that the Republicans now engage in it so much and so often.

This is true. It was unconstitutional then and also now, and it is unfortunate that it was not recognized as such in the past. Hopefully the courts put a stop to this behavior.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 01:44:13 PM »

The Georgia House approved the plan 168-0.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »

I stand corrected. But I have to ask - why vote for any mid-cycle map they put up? Is this a case of the minority party just acquiescing for small concessions (legislative or other) down the road, knowing that in the grand scheme of things they have no power anyway? Or was the map change benign - because the situation at face value doesn't really look reasonable. It looks like the majority party pushing small changes every time it feels the need to shore up vulnerable districts, which is an insult to the idea of fair elections.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »

I stand corrected. But I have to ask - why vote for any mid-cycle map they put up? Is this a case of the minority party just acquiescing for small concessions (legislative or other) down the road, knowing that in the grand scheme of things they have no power anyway? Or was the map change benign - because the situation at face value doesn't really look reasonable. It looks like the majority party pushing small changes every time it feels the need to shore up vulnerable districts, which is an insult to the idea of fair elections.
The people who drew the original maps likely were not familiar with local neighborhoods and were drawing maps on a computer screen. While conceivably minor changes could be addressed by amendment, it would be hard to do this during debate, especially with 180 representatives. They might not realize that they were splitting an apartment complex, etc. Remember the situation in the Florida congressional litigation when the legislature was told to keep Homestead whole. They chose a major highway (I think there are only two south of Miami), and in order to reach the inane equality demanded by the SCOTUS had jogged across between the two highways, and accidentally cut through a predominately black unincorporated area.

The legislators were told if neighboring legislators could work out a better boundary it would be put in the 2015 bill. Georgia House districts are within 1% of the quota, so about 500 people either way. I doubt that substantive changes were made.

What you are citing as "face value" is a lawsuit by advocates of a particular position. Remember that lawyers are required to advocate for their clients. If they were working for the State of Georgia they would be arguing the opposite position.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies