Unique state government (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 01:11:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Unique state government (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unique state government  (Read 2023 times)
fondue_knight
Rookie
United Kingdom

« on: November 14, 2013, 05:41:42 PM »

As a Brit, it seems like most American state governments were created in a copy-and-paste process. They all have separation of powers, a two-party system with little third party representation and a state governor who mirrors the function of the national President. None have a parliamentary system of government.

Having said that, which state government do you find has the most unique set up? I'd be tempted to say Nebraska, with its unicameral legislature and non-partisan elections. Maybe Alaska too, which had (still has?) a Senate coalition between Democrats and Republicans, with the rest of the Republicans forming the minority.

What do you think?
fondue_knight
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:44:32 PM »

I noticed the other day that some New England states have a handful of third party legislators at the state level. That's pretty cool.

I guess Minnesota is also unique for having the DFL party instead of a straight Democratic Party.
fondue_knight
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »

I'm surprised some of them haven't gone parliamentary. I can see why the founders went presidential and with a strong bicameral system at the federal level, to create a slow legislative process to protect states' rights. But at a state level, I don't see the advantage in having such strong separation of powers.
fondue_knight
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 05:49:47 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2013, 11:11:54 PM by True Federalist »

I think I read somewhere that New Hampshire has the fourth largest legislature in the English speaking world (424 elected members) after the UK (1300+), the US (535), and India (God knows 790 Wikipedia knows).
fondue_knight
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:29:46 PM »

I just read that Vermont requires a candidate to win 50%+ of the vote to be elected Governor. If that doesn't happen, a joint meeting of the state legislature elects a governor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies