Parental Consent on abortion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:57:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Parental Consent on abortion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should minors be required to have parental consent before having an abortion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Parental Consent on abortion  (Read 16829 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: October 23, 2005, 03:36:28 PM »

No.  If her parents were not abusive intolerants she would tell them on her own.  Whether she does so or not is not the State's business.

Obviously you were never a kid. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 04:02:39 PM »

Technically yes, it's im the best interests for them to know but a mother or father has no right to force their child to go through with a preganancy if they don't want to.

I would strike the words "has no right" and insert "definitely should not", and I don't mean that to be nitpicking.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 04:10:51 PM »

I'm no lawyer or expert in this area at all, but I think a minor's "rights" when it comes to medical treatment are somewhere between few and none.  As someone noted earlier, the parents need to consent to nearly everything.   Witholding live saving medical care - well, a child probably has "rights" in this regard without parental consent, but not consenting to abortion when the pregnancy is unwanted is probably within the parent's rights, although I don't think they should excercise it.     
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 05:33:41 PM »

No.  If her parents were not abusive intolerants she would tell them on her own.  Whether she does so or not is not the State's business.

Obviously you were never a kid. 

It is perfectly harmless if no girls tell their parents.  My point is that most parents are judgemental tyrants, so it is wholely unsurprising that girls wouldn't want to expose themselves to abuse.

Not only have you never been a child, you've never been a parent.  Mostly, you're simply an idiot.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 05:44:02 PM »

It depends.

I think there should be safeguards for girls who know for a fact that their mother/father will abuse them mentally or physically if they find out about the abortion.  Im not talking about punishment or a good talking to either.  Im talking about beating the leaving hell out of the girl or mentally scarring her for life.

I don't think anyone would want a young girl put in such a situation regardless of one's stance on the issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies