French terror attacks (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:54:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French terror attacks (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French terror attacks  (Read 29357 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« on: January 07, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »
« edited: January 07, 2015, 01:17:46 PM by bgwah »

Yes, the most important thing here is for us to be concerned with hurting the terrorists' feelings.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »

So, free speech is okay but only when it preaches diversity and tolerance. Sorry, but that isn't free speech. Certain communities need to accept that when they move to a Western nation they will have to listen to people who disagree with them.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »

So, free speech is okay but only when it preaches diversity and tolerance. Sorry, but that isn't free speech. Certain communities need to accept that when they move to a Western nation they will have to listen to people who disagree with them.

How are they going to accept this? By forcing them?

This is a low quality rebuttal, even for you. Try again.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »

I've been asked to lock this thread in order to prevent it from devolving into a nasty polemic. This is not what this thread should be about. While I'd like to avoid going so far, please try to show some respect and dignity.

Ridiculous. You should be embarrassed.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:38:20 AM »

I'm glad to learn from our U.S. posters that the real legacy of Wolinski and Cabu is thoughtful discussion of the deeper social patterns underlying this attack (, I'd have thought their legacy was mainly 'épater les bourgeois',) but surely the main question you'd have to ask hasn't anything to do with 'freedom of speech' or 'islamofascism', but with why this sort of thing just keeps happening in France and not, for example, in Germany? Could it be that there's something awry with French society and its utter failure to achieve some degree of intergration for its sizeable North African minority? Could it be that laicité isn't the soundest foundation for a multi-ethnic society? If this attack is about anything other than some ridiculous losers donning a balaclava and a kalashnikov and yelling the takbir in a Paris street, it's surely about that.

The legacy of Charb and Cabu is fighting for freedom of expression, speaking out against bigotry and stupidity, and promoting humanistic values. Their thought and reflection were infinitely more articulate than you could ever hope to be. I understand that lot of people like you are too stupid to get it, but I hoped you could shut up for at least a couple days after this tragedy.

And an example of Antonio's articulate and totally not stupid expression can be found in my signature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies