Most vulnerable Southern state for Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:42:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most vulnerable Southern state for Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the most vulnerable state for Republicans?
Alabama

Arkansas

Georgia

Kentucky

Louisiana

Mississippi

North Carolina

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia

West Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Most vulnerable Southern state for Republicans  (Read 7284 times)
Heimdal
HenryH

« on: April 25, 2014, 08:52:04 AM »

The obvious answer is of course Virginia and North Carolina. We already know that the Democrats are able to win those states.

In the near future they may also be able to win Georgia. If the Democrats are able to pick away Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia there is absolutely no chance of the Republicans winning the election. The GOP needs to realize that Virginia might not return to the fold, and that Georgia might not be as solidly red as it is today.

They need to develop policies to appeal to new voters in these states, both highly educated transplants from the Northeast and Hispanics (I don’t think they can compete for the Black vote anytime soon).  The good news is that this will not just help them in Virginia. It may also help them in Colorado, Pennsylvania and Ohio.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 05:58:11 AM »

The obvious answer is of course Virginia and North Carolina. We already know that the Democrats are able to win those states.

In the near future they may also be able to win Georgia. If the Democrats are able to pick away Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia there is absolutely no chance of the Republicans winning the election. The GOP needs to realize that Virginia might not return to the fold, and that Georgia might not be as solidly red as it is today.

They need to develop policies to appeal to new voters in these states, both highly educated transplants from the Northeast and Hispanics (I don’t think they can compete for the Black vote anytime soon).  The good news is that this will not just help them in Virginia. It may also help them in Colorado, Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Are you kidding me?

After the Republicans took over the North Carolina state government for the first time in 130 years, the Republicans are swinging the state as far right as possible.

Don't like it? Well, too bad since they have supermajority thanks to redistricting.

And don't let me even get to race-baiting in Georgia. (I am not African American, but even I think it is outrageous.)

Exactly where did I suggest that the NC legislature is a model for what the GOP needs to do?
Obviously they are able to do pretty much whatever they want in states like Georgia and North Carolina, but moving as far to the right as possible might not be the best way to sustain a majority in the long term.

That is why I said that they need to develop policies to appeal to voters that currently distrusts or dislikes the Republicans. That will enable them to hold on to states like Georgia and North Carolina, and compete with the Democrats in the atlas red states.

At this point they are not doing enough to reach out to any new voting groups. It appears that they assume that a lot of socially liberal whites will return to the fold when they realize that the GOP wants to cut their taxes, and that the Hispanics will return when they realize that they are “natural Republicans”, who dislike gay marriage and abortion. This is the sort of complacency that will cost them dearly.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »

Even though this poll is already nine years old, the answers are still correct...

Except for Arkansas. Georgia is probably a lot more dangerous for the GOP.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »

This thread didn't even need to be bumped... many "intelligent" conservative posters still to this day claim Virginia is a lean Republican state.  The state of denial is apparently a Republican state as well.

Shouldn’t you be off somewhere making a thread about how Virginia is the new Vermont or something?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies