John Roberts' Confirmation to the Supreme Court (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:43:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John Roberts' Confirmation to the Supreme Court (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were a senator, would you vote to confirm him?
Democrat -Yes

Democrat -No

Republican -Yes

Republican -No

independent/third party -Yes

independent/third party -No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: John Roberts' Confirmation to the Supreme Court  (Read 4133 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

« on: July 19, 2005, 10:56:14 PM »

Incorrect. Scalia predated Bork.

Kennedy was the one that went into the final spot instead of Bork.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 10:43:40 AM »

LOL I want to see Dems say something about school busing. Hilarious.

Besides, jfern is apparently too stupid to even understand the role of a lawyer, which is to represent their clients. Roberts was not expressing personal views in any case he argued, though it's likely his personal views were often congruent with the position of the administration.

Roberts is moderate, but nonetheless intelligent and experienced (especially with regard to the Supreme Court). He might literally be the best pick for the job, age considered. He is not the best ideologically, but he's not bad in that regard either.

I think Bush's next selection is likely to be a racial minority or woman (women are actually a majority). It was very smart to avoid making O'Connor's seat a "woman's seat" on the court, as quotas have no place there. After the next retirement, he can pick a woman if he likes without having it appear his hand was forced.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:53:28 AM »

jfern said something about it. Early in his career Roberts represented Reagan's administration on the issue and thus various communist "civil rights" groups will whine a little.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:41:20 AM »

nick, I thought we had already established that if rational Democrats such as yourself were running things, Democrats wouldn't lose so often.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 11:45:23 AM »

Oh it will take some time. But if the hearings are low key and everyone is civil, it won't dominate the news. That's nicks point I imagine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies