The American Monarchy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:43:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The American Monarchy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32
Author Topic: The American Monarchy  (Read 243139 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: January 12, 2008, 11:17:43 PM »

Finally an update. By the way, could you provide a map of North America? Europe would also be great, if you could do it.
I'll try and make some maps of North America at the moment, and then the world after the war.

And thank you for all the compliments guys. It's good to know that you're enjoying it.

Thanks! You should put this on your college application.

Sweet!  Teddy is finally PM!  Now we just need to wait for Debs to be PM, that would be awesome.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #301 on: January 12, 2008, 11:18:37 PM »

My prediction was right. America was going to war with Canada.

If only this were real....Begins dreaming
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #302 on: January 12, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »

Dream interrupted by the sound of screaming Canadians
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #303 on: January 12, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »

The sounds of screaming Canadians are my dreams.  Duh Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #304 on: January 12, 2008, 11:23:54 PM »

The sounds of screaming Canadians are my dreams.  Duh Wink

No, I mean your sleep is interrupted by the sounds of people up in Ontario actually screaming. Wink
CultureKing
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #305 on: January 13, 2008, 12:05:25 AM »

this is great!
Perhaps after the Canadians are delt a big defeat the Pacific Northwest could becaome part of the US, or even all of Canada!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Smiley
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »

Gives Standing Ovation.

Watch out you maple leafers they're coming to get you! Tongue I really hope that Prime Minister Roosevelt will be a good one, who will succeed him upon his death in 1919? (I'd assume that would still occur if he's still Prime Minister at the time). Eugene Debs anyone?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #307 on: January 13, 2008, 01:17:37 AM »

Well, Roosevelt never traveled to South America, as he was in the Liberal Party leadership during that time, in my timeline. Roosevelt himself wrote that the trip had cost him ten years of life. So we'll see. Wink
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2008, 01:26:06 AM »

Well, Roosevelt never traveled to South America, as he was in the Liberal Party leadership during that time, in my timeline. Roosevelt himself wrote that the trip had cost him ten years of life. So we'll see. Wink

Well I hope Teddy lives beyond January 1919 Smiley. Long Live the PM!
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #309 on: January 13, 2008, 02:45:45 AM »

Well I hope Teddy lives beyond January 1919 Smiley. Long Live the PM!

Not being president would probably had made it possible for him to live longer, I would think that the pressure of his presidential years just served to shorten his life.
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #310 on: January 13, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »

Once again, great update. Even though I've only started reading this TL over the past few days, I already love it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #311 on: January 13, 2008, 04:36:32 PM »

Expect an update on the year 1917 tonight.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #312 on: January 13, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »

Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2008, 10:50:51 PM »

The American Monarchy: 1916 - 1917

Prime Minister Roosevelt, Dep. Prime Minister Debs, Secretary of War Longworth, King Robert II, Maj. Gen. Frederick Funston, Maj. Gen. John Pershing, and Admiral William B. Caperton (recently promoted by King Robert II) met at Arlington Palace in July 1916. Admiral George Dewey and retired General George Custer, both in their 70s, also attended the meeting. War was raging in Europe, as the Germans desperately tried to break the evolving stalemate in France. The French and British, looking to lessons learned during the American War of Succession, believed that they could stay on the defensive through 1916, bleeding the Germans dry, and then invade a weekend Germany during the spring of 1917. The American war cabinet decided on a four-fold strategy:

1)   The Royal American Homeland Forces (the RAHF, commanded by Pershing) would be in charge of defending the continental United States from British-Canadian invasion, as well as the possibility of war with Mexico.
2)   The Royal American Expeditionary Forces (the RAEF, commanded by Funston) would, as soon as possible, aid the Germans across the Atlantic, by either fighting in Africa or landing in Italy (which had indicated that it would allow American forces passage to Germany or Austria, but was still hesitant about committing to fighting), then reinforcing Germans in France.
3)   The Atlantic Fleet, under Admiral Caperton, would be charged with aiding the German Navy fight the British navy.
4)   The Pacific Fleet would be greatly downsized, with many ships joining the Atlantic Fleet. The remaining Pacific Fleet would be charged with defending American and German Pacific possessions to the best of its ability from the British and Japanese (who had joined the Allied forces in May).

Generals John Pershing and Frederick Funston, Commanders of the RAHF and RAEF respectively

In the Senate, Roosevelt called for conscription, which passed easily. The RAHF was the first to gain new conscripts, as Pershing reinforced the Oregon border, northern Wisconsin and Dakota, and the Quebec-Maine-Maritime States areas. The first battle on American soil was the Battle of Duluth. British and Canadian forces from the District of Winnipeg invaded Northern Minnesota in August 1916, hoping to quickly raid and destroy the factories and shipyards of the industrial towns along Lake Superior. American conscripts and hastily raised militia quickly fell to the British raiders, regrouping in the city of Duluth. British forces ignored Duluth until October, after razing nearby towns and cities, when they began their attack. The Americans had dug in, and had been reinforced with additional troops and machine guns. What was to be an easy victory dragged on for a month, turning into brutal urban warfare. The extremely cold winter of 1916 further complicated matters, as large percentages of the British and American armies died of exposure to the elements. In January 1917, after nearly three months of battle, the British withdrew, handing the Americans their first victory of the war.

Meanwhile, in Europe, the western front had settled into an uneasy stalemate during the winter, after nearly a year of bloody battles and high casualties. Despite numerous attacks by the Germans, they were no closer to taking Paris that they had been in the summer. In Austria, both the Serbs and Austrians had seen heavy casualties, but by winter the front between the two nations was all but unchanged. In the east, fighting was more fluid, though the Germans and Austrians had been able to halt the Russian advance. In April of 1917, the Germans began the Battle of Ypres. Believing that the French, who had assumed a mostly defensive position could only be defeated through attrition, the German Generals instead decided to focus their assaults on the British lines in Northern France, hoping to break the British morale on the continent. Ypres saw the first use of poison gas in the war, a tactic the Germans had hesitated to use in 1916, before the United States and the Ottoman Empire had decided to join the war on their side and the Italians had agreed to grant the United States passage. The gas attack caught the British and French soldiers at Ypres off guard, opening a large gap in the Franco-British lines. German forces took advantage of this, and pushed forward. For the first time since the summer of 1916, the Germans made major gains, and in a two week period they pushed forward nearly forty miles, forcing the Allies completely out of Belgium and surrounding the coastal towns of Dunkirk and Calais.

In the United States, General Robert L. Bullard arrived in Duluth in the spring, with reinforcements and artillery. His orders were to advance on Winnipeg and take the city from Canadian defenders. British-Canadian forces had been dealt heavy casualties in Duluth, and had surrendered the surrounding countryside of Bullard’s advancing army. The Canadian forces had fortified the city with trenches and makeshift defensive fortifications. General Bullard ordered a heavy bombardment of the city, but the Canadians were fully entrenched and determined to fight to the last man. The bombardment of the city began on April 28th, 1917. By the time the Americans had completely taken the city, it was early July, and 90% of the city’s buildings had been destroyed. The use of poison gas by Canadian forces had surprised American attackers, prolonging the siege until gas masks could be delivered to the front. But with the fall of Winnipeg, the British presence in central Canada was effectively neutralized.

General Robert L. Bullard, Conqueror of Winnipeg

In Oregon District, British and American forces had been fighting a bloody war of attrition. British forces, out-numbered and blockaded by the American Royal Pacific Fleet, had adopted a defensive position, retreating to the land between the Pacific Ocean and Columbia River, except for a small detachment left in Portland. The majority of defenses and fortifications were built along the western bank of the Columbia River, with further fortifications around the cities of Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria. General Hugh L. Scott was charged with breaking these British defenses. Scott, a veteran of the Southern army in the War of Succession, was charged with a difficult task, and the Americans incurred heavy casualties assaulting the British lines. Throughout the year 1917, the Americans made few breakthroughs, though the city of Portland did surrender in September. As 1917 ended, the Oregon front was static, with the British still holding the Columbia River. In the Canadian plains, Montana, and Dakota, the front was fluid, as cavalry armies skirmished and raided towns.

In the winter of 1917, the Germans and Americans pulled off two diplomatic feats, as Secretaries of State Elihu Root and Arthur Zimmerman negotiated with Irish and Indian rebels. In Ireland there was growing discontent, following the introduction of conscription on the island, combined with Irish nationalism. The British did not have enough troops to protect Canada and fight in France, and had passed harsh conscription laws, angering Britons, but leading to mass demonstrations in Ireland. Americans and Germans promised arms and supplies, as well as units from the RAEF, if Irish revolutionary groups could instigate a rebellion. The rebellion was to begin in April 1918, and the United States Royal Navy fought numerous skirmishes with the British Royal Navy throughout the 1917-1918 winter to gain control of the waters around Ireland long enough to drop off supplies and troops. The British Navy was already stretched thin, defending the British Isles, blockading Germany, and fighting the United States in the Atlantic and the Pacific. Matters were complicated further by American and German plans to support large-scale mutinies in India, which the British had left lightly defended as armies were moved to Europe at the beginning of the war. American submarines and merchant ships smuggled thousands of weapons to Indian rebels, concentrated primarily in the Punjab and Bengal regions.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2008, 11:19:08 PM »

USA! USA! USA!

Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #315 on: January 13, 2008, 11:30:40 PM »

Cross the Columbia! Free my people! Cheesy
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2008, 11:36:48 PM »

Let us have better dental care in the future!!
Smiley
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #317 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03:02 AM »

Go America!!! Free my Spokaneite brothers!!!
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2008, 12:15:10 AM »

Great update, as usual.

But I have to offer one small nitpick (as usual)...how can the Brits (and Canadians) be putting up such a determined defense in the Washington area...or anywhere in Canada, for that matter?  Britain has its own concerns in Europe (and IRL hadn't undergone major conscription before the war).  To add to that, Canada is essentially cut off from Britain & her allies...very little can realistically be arriving in the Pacific Coast ports (and even a weakened American Pacific fleet is probably more than enough match for the Russian Far East fleet and any Anglo-Canadian Northern Pacific fleet)--and any Churchill, MB equivalent is behind a couple thousand miles of American waters.  Which leaves Canada (and only Western & Central Canada, at that) essentially on its own against the entire U.S.  Understandably, with no Eastern Canada (and with Oregon Country), the rest of Canada is likely to be more populated than IRL...and America has divided its attention--but I don't see how they could reasonably expect to hold out against the U.S. for any appreciable length of time (barring a very significant pre-war Royal Army presence or very slow American mobilization).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2008, 12:23:01 AM »

When the Germans and Americans allied in the early 1900s, the British increased troops numbers in the Canadian colonies in anticipation of an eventual war. The American army is also rather small at this point (as conflicting policies from Liberal and Populist administrations has left it unprepared for war) and the American, without any experience at mobilization, are mobilizing slowly. Finally, the British government (and the residents of Oregon) know that an American conquest of the region will result in annexation (just like in Quebec and Ontario a hundred years earlier), so they're fighting tooth and nail over the province. The United States hasn't made a concentrated offensive effort to break the Columbia River lines quite yet, as Robert II and General Pershing are wary about a Mexican offensive, and as such have a sizable portion of the RAHF defending the southern border.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2008, 01:44:28 AM »

When the Germans and Americans allied in the early 1900s, the British increased troops numbers in the Canadian colonies in anticipation of an eventual war. The American army is also rather small at this point (as conflicting policies from Liberal and Populist administrations has left it unprepared for war) and the American, without any experience at mobilization, are mobilizing slowly. Finally, the British government (and the residents of Oregon) know that an American conquest of the region will result in annexation (just like in Quebec and Ontario a hundred years earlier), so they're fighting tooth and nail over the province. The United States hasn't made a concentrated offensive effort to break the Columbia River lines quite yet, as Robert II and General Pershing are wary about a Mexican offensive, and as such have a sizable portion of the RAHF defending the southern border.

Makes sense.  Thanks for the elucidation.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #321 on: January 15, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »

I'm taking that there is no Anglo-Japanese Alliance in this timeline.  I was fully expecting the Japanese to be threatening the American Pacific Coast with naval raids and helping to defend British North America from the Yankee depredations.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #322 on: January 16, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2008, 03:52:07 PM by MasterJedi »

This is another good timeline that I have taken up reading (yours, PBrunsel's and Harry's (he better update that damn TL or else Tongue).

Anyways I hope we can annex a lot of Canada after we win the war. Smiley

EDIT: I also like how you made Wisconsin the state it should be with controlling the UP and part of Minnesota.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #323 on: January 22, 2008, 07:13:49 PM »

The American Monarchy: 1918 - 1919

The shells began falling en masse on the British side of the Columbia on the morning of February 27th, 1918. Hugh L. Scott had planned a massive offensive on that day, and the British were wholly unprepared for the large number of United States troops assaulting their lines. Scott planned a two-pronged offensive, crossing the Columbia River from the south and west. By the end of the week, American forces had forded the Columbia at a number of crucial points, defeating the British defenders. The crucial Battle of Vancouver Island had occurred a month earlier, and had established American control of the coastal Pacific Region. A joint Japanese-British had tried to break the American blockade of the British Pacific provinces, and deliver much needed supplies. In a two-day battle, however, the American Pacific Fleet was able to score a narrow tactical victory, which forced the Japanese and British fleets to retreat. The Columbian Spring Offensive continued into April, as Americans slowly pushed back the British defenders. By the middle of April, the British had retreated to their fortifications around Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria. American cavalry had taken the few remaining strongholds to the North, while General Scott’s infantry were converging on the final British strongholds. Two weeks of shelling led to the surrender of Seattle without a fight on May 4th, 1918. By the beginning of May, American forces were on Vancouver Island. There were calls from the British colonial governments to regroup in Victoria and force the Americans into brutal urban warfare. Governor James Dunsmuir, however, was strongly opposed to the further destruction of his province’s cities, and on May 23rd, 1918, he and the government surrendered.

As General Scott’s forces were conquering British Columbia, Major General Smedley Butler led an RAEF landing in south-western Ireland in early February. Approximately two hundred Americans made up the covert landing force, nearly all veteran marines of the conflicts in Cuba and the Philippines. Butler met up with the Irish Volunteers and other Irish revolutionary groups, and began training and supplying their soldiers. During February and March, more supplies and marines were brought to the island, and Butler became close friends with Irish leaders Éamon de Valera and Michael Collins. During Easter week, 1918, the revolution began. American troops (by this point numbering nearly 2000) were scattered throughout the country, attached to units of Irish soldiers. General Fred Funston (commanding general of the RAEF) also oversaw the landing of an additional five thousand troops in late April, this time overtly. Scattered conflicts broke out throughout Ireland, between various Irish revolutionary groups and American soldiers on one side and the British Army and the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) on the other. By the end of May, Irish and American forces had secured Dublin and Cork, along with numerous other cities, while battles and guerilla attacks by the Irish and Americans continued across Ireland.

The United Kingdom’s position continued to deteriorate throughout the first half of 1918. The Battle of the Skagerrak took place between May 25th and May 27th, and ended the British blockade of the German coast. In the largest naval battle of the war, a joint American-German fleet led by American admiral Hugh Rodman soundly defeated a British fleet led by Admirals David Beatty and John Jellicoe. Though the British fleet had three more battleships than the combined German and American fleet, Admiral Rodman managed to partially surround the British fleet, sinking seven British battleships (compared to one German and one American battleship) along with numerous smaller ships. The battle gave the Germans control of the North Sea, and dealt a severe blow to the British navy. Meanwhile, in India, American-backed rebels attacked the British Raj and led mutinies throughout the country.

Conditions on the Western Front in Europe turned in Germany’s favor throughout the summer, as the German fleet gained the upper hand in the North Sea and disrupted the flow of supplies and troops, and the British government steadily pulled soldiers out of France, relocating them to Ireland and India, as well as the African colonies (which the RAEF had invaded in 1918). With less British soldiers to defend the trench lines, the French army became increasingly stretched thin. On July 14th, 1918, the Germans began the Battle of Verdun. The German military command saw the battle as an opportunity to finally defeat the French. By September, the battle had become the bloodiest battle in the war's history, as stalwart French defenders refused to budge, and the Germans poured more and more soldiers into the battle. As the Battle of Verdun dragged on, the British began an assault on the German lines in the north. The British Prime Minister, Herbert Henry Asquith, saw the offensive as the final opportunity for the Entente to win the war, and he knew that if the offensive proved unsuccessful, his government would likely fall. As such, British troops were recalled from Canada and the Middle-East (where they had been successful against the Ottoman Empire, conquering much of the empire outside of Turkey). The British army was backed up by tanks, a new technology that quickly proved to be more or less useless. The British Fall Offensive was as a total failure, and by the end of 1918, the British were forced by a German counter-attack back to where they had begun the offensive. Perhaps the only success of the offensive was that it pulled pressure off the French, allowing them to weather the German attacks until the winter, when the German army fell back.

On the Eastern Front in 1918, the Germans were able to make great advances, as the Russian army fell apart. In Russia, Tsar Nicholas II was forced to abdicate and the Russian Provisional Government took control of the country in October. Despite a change in leadership, Russia vowed to continue fighting the war. German Foreign Secretary Arthur Zimmerman and American Secretary of State Elihu Root considered allowing exiled Russian Marxists into Russia (including Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov, a prominent Russian Marxist), to further destabilize the country and end the war on the eastern front, but Prime Minister Roosevelt came out strongly against even the possibility of a communist revolution, and convinced the German government that the Entente was on the verge of collapse on the Western front anyway. Roosevelt began negotiations with Alexander Kerensky, the newly elected Russian Prime Minister, in December. On February 25th, 1919, with the Russian army continuing to collapse, increasing incidents of mutinies, and unrest among radical socialist and Bolshevik elements within Russia, Kerensky agreed to a ceasefire with the Allied Powers. Roosevelt had promised that Russia’s territorial concessions and war reparations would be few, a promise that had ultimately swayed Kerensky and the Russian government.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #324 on: January 22, 2008, 07:19:32 PM »

YAY UPDATE!

I support the Indian rebels. Please don't forget about them.

And I'm still looking for those maps. Wink
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies