Opinion of Nonpartisan Blanket Primaries (Jungle, Top-2 etc.) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:53:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Nonpartisan Blanket Primaries (Jungle, Top-2 etc.) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
FP

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of Nonpartisan Blanket Primaries (Jungle, Top-2 etc.)  (Read 1170 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: November 12, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »

Here's my main objection to it: if primaries happen during the summer, then you're moving the consequential election to a time when abysmally low turnout is the rule. So it wouldn't be increasing voters' ability to select candidates if very few of them actually turn out to vote.

Also, the terminology is off. This makes the primary into the general election, and the general election into the runoff.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »

I don't mind the model for places where the partisan outcome is more or less a foregone conclusion. It would make the general an actual contest between two more evenly matched contestants, at least in theory. But I've got a problem putting most of the context back to a time (whether in spring or in summer, primaries have lower turnout than general elections) when fewer people are engaged with the process.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »

I don't mind the model for places where the partisan outcome is more or less a foregone conclusion. It would make the general an actual contest between two more evenly matched contestants, at least in theory. But I've got a problem putting most of the context back to a time (whether in spring or in summer, primaries have lower turnout than general elections) when fewer people are engaged with the process.

Of course the vast majority of districts are a foregone conclusion in terms of the parties. We tend to focus on the handful of true swing seats, but they are not the norm.

Sure, I know. But that's where the action is, and designing a system that makes those races easier to game at the primary stage doesn't help anything.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies