Is opposing interracial marriage racist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 03:30:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is opposing interracial marriage racist?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Is opposing interracial marriage racist?  (Read 2796 times)
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 10:17:08 AM »

If YOU don't want to marry someone of another race, no that's not racist.  If you don't want other people (family or strangers) to marry then yes, it's racist.  I don't see how it can't be.  I would be sort of ok with a "I'd prefer my kid to marry someone of their own background, but they are their own person and I will accept whomever they love into our family", but even that probably shouldn't be said out loud in front of your children.

This, pretty much.

Gotta agree with dead0 here.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »
« Edited: April 03, 2016, 10:58:40 AM by Famous Mortimer »

If "preserving your heritage" is important to you in finding a mate, yeah, that's also pretty damn racist. Imagine if a normal ass White person said that.

It's also pretty terrible to your kids, since your putting pressure on them to carry on "your heritage" whether they want to or not.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »

I would argue there are certain situations when interracial marriage is racist. In the context of when colonial-racial hierarchy collides with hypergamy.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »

If "preserving your heritage" is important to you in finding a mate, yeah, that's also pretty damn racist. Imagine if a normal ass White person said that.
^ the whitest thing said in this thread.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

There's a difference between not wanting to marry someone just because they're black (or white, or Asian, or whatever "race") and not wanting to marry someone of a different ethnicity because you want to preserve your culture and your heritage, and someone of a differemt background would simply not be able to relate things that are extremely important to yo. The first case can be racist (but if it's just about attraction and not rationalized on the basis of race, then it is not, obviously), the second is definitely not.

Am mixed myself, by the way, but wouldn't marry a non-Jew myself (but I don't care whether she's Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, Ethiopian or something else).

Like I said, I'm less opposed to certain ethno-religions preferring to keep families in the religion/ethnicity, though they shouldn't excommunicate or otherwise kick out people who don't marry within the group. The smaller the ethno-religion is (to a certain extent, I wouldn't want inbreeding), the less objectionable it is.

And the fact that you'd marrying any variety of Jewish person, regardless of ethnicity, makes it a little less objectionable.

My faith isn't also an ethnicity, but I would prefer to marry a Mormon, of any ethnicity. But considering where I live, the most likely candidate for someone I can actually meet is probably white. Even though I'm attracted to white, black, Hispanic, Asian, and other women.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2016, 01:12:49 PM »

Generally, I'd say it's racist along the same lines as what dead0man said (and so many others also agreed with). Ethnoreligions are a tougher case; I'm generally inclined to give much more latitude, especially since I'm the living result of what happens when an ethnoreligious line of descent gets shunted off from one side of a family and spawns a bunch of confused, displaced, [Inks]ed-up descendants.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »

It's also pretty terrible to your kids, since your putting pressure on them to carry on "your heritage" whether they want to or not.

Is it racist if a certain race is most attractive to you?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 02:22:37 PM »

Last time I checked this thread, I don't see anyone pressuring their children to marry anyone.

I'm not a bigot for wanting to marry Jewish (if I want to marry at all, actually). It is also not racist for a European-American to marry another European-American (this is what I assume you mean by white). You don't get to tell someone what preserving their culture means.

Something is only racist (ONLY) if you actively bash another race of people in the process of attempting to preserve your culture.

Take your left-wing privilege and put it where the sun don't shine. 
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 02:25:10 PM »

Well, if I ever have kids, I'd prefer them to marry Jewish as well, even if I would obviously still love them just as much if they don't.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 02:47:06 PM »

Am mixed myself, by the way, but wouldn't marry a non-Jew myself (but I don't care whether she's Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, Ethiopian or something else).

That's the entire issue: we are free to marry, or not marry, whomever we wish to. It's all about choice, and opposing people having a choice to marry someone on account of race is inherently a racist concept.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 04:25:15 PM »

Yes.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »

Religion is an entirely separate issue.  I would never marry a non-Christian, but I'm not going to limit myself by race/ethnicity as long as the religion is right.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 06:42:49 AM »

Generally, I'd say it's racist along the same lines as what dead0man said (and so many others also agreed with). Ethnoreligions are a tougher case; I'm generally inclined to give much more latitude, especially since I'm the living result of what happens when an ethnoreligious line of descent gets shunted off from one side of a family and spawns a bunch of confused, displaced, [Inks]ed-up descendants.

Yet ethnoreligion, at least amongst whites is pretty much a dead concept in the Upper Midwest and I don't see it causing us any problems.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »

A White person marrying a White person isn't racist (necessarily).

A White person marrying a White person because they are White, is racist.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »

No one on Earth categorically finds another race unattractive. This is just some BS hypothetical.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 01:47:05 PM »

Yet ethnoreligion, at least amongst whites is pretty much a dead concept in the Upper Midwest and I don't see it causing us any problems.

And, as we all know, if it doesn't cause you any problems, then it couldn't possibly cause problems for or upset anyone. Also, I'm referring to Judaism, BRTD.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2016, 01:59:07 PM »

This debate kind of reminds me of the feuds over transracial adoption.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2016, 02:16:15 PM »

And, as we all know, if it doesn't cause you any problems, then it couldn't possibly cause problems for or upset anyone. Also, I'm referring to Judaism, BRTD.

What problems do you see out marriage causing? The reactions of racists are the only problems I could foresee and those are better addressed by telling racists to f-off, rather than catering to them and saying, yeah, sure, let's be ethnic separatists.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »

And as I've explained to DavidB are also incredibly assimilated here and outmarry with no controversy. Actually come to think of it every married Jew I know except one is married to a non-Jew,  and the one exception is not bothered at all by her son's engagement to a non-Jew.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 09:15:45 PM »

And as I've explained to DavidB are also incredibly assimilated here and outmarry with no controversy. Actually come to think of it every married Jew I know except one is married to a non-Jew,  and the one exception is not bothered at all by her son's engagement to a non-Jew.

Your anecdotal experience means nothing.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2016, 09:19:33 PM »

No one on Earth categorically finds another race unattractive. This is just some BS hypothetical.

I would disagree with both. Some people are EXTREMELY wedded to the idea of categorically finding certain race/gender combinations unattractive to the point where it's undeniably racist.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2016, 09:20:57 PM »

What about marrying a non-Jew and like...Jewish-izing them? Like what Donald Trump's son-in-law did.

Marrying based on religion makes a lot more sense because...people can change their religion.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 12:22:34 AM »

No, not at all. 
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 12:34:52 AM »

What about marrying a non-Jew and like...Jewish-izing them? Like what Donald Trump's son-in-law did.

Marrying based on religion makes a lot more sense because...people can change their religion.

Yes, there is always the option of marrying someone who is willing to convert. However, I doubt I'd be able to make a potential spouse of mine to convert. It doesn't feel right to me unless it is his or her idea to do so.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 09:24:59 AM »

OK, but what if it's not categorical, but you just have a strong tendency towards finding a particular set of features attractive, and those features tend to be found much more in a particular racial group?

And what if you're more attracted towards people with a similar cultural experience to yours, which correlates with race?

That is, if someone were to have a set of preferences that strongly biased them towards picking a partner from their own racial group, but it's not some kind of hard and fast rule with no exceptions, would you find that problematic?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies