Could this be the Libertarians' moment? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:12:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Could this be the Libertarians' moment? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could this be the Libertarians' moment?  (Read 628 times)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« on: March 03, 2016, 03:39:25 PM »

imo Johnson could do well but probably wouldn't break 3%. But that 3% could decide close states either way (and if turnout is similar to 2012, that's 4 million votes right there)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »

imo Johnson could do well but probably wouldn't break 3%. But that 3% could decide close states either way (and if turnout is similar to 2012, that's 4 million votes right there)
What state could a libt. vote swing? He'll probably get decent figures in Montana (which will be R I predict anyway) and the rest of the fly over, and the only state that his (stronger) presence will matter will be NH

The West is generally fertile territory for Libertarians. Johnson got 3.6% of the vote in New Mexico in 2012 (his home state), and could definitely add a new dimension to Nevada and Colorado if he's getting 3% of the national vote.

If 2016 comes down to the wire, a strong Libertarian performance could act as a serious spoiler for either Hillary or Trump. Romney beat Obama in North Carolina by 92,000 votes, while Johnson took 45,000 votes (i.e. about half the margin needed to flip the state).

Of course, I doubt the Libertarians will significantly improve on their 1%; in fact they might actually fall. But if it's a close election, there is always the possibility they could unintentionally act as a spoiler in one or more states.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies