are you an out of the closet atheist? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:43:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  are you an out of the closet atheist? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: are you an out of the closet atheist?  (Read 9125 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »

too many atheists identify as 'agnostic'  or they say something like 'im not religious...im spiritual...'

Why do you assume agnosticism is a stealth form of atheism ? They are just different positions with different theoretical bases.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »

too many atheists identify as 'agnostic'  or they say something like 'im not religious...im spiritual...'

Why do you assume agnosticism is a stealth form of atheism ? They are just different positions with different theoretical bases.

In terms of definition they aren't mutually exclusive - one deals with 'knowledge', the other mere belief. That of course doesn't matter to everyone. There are people who would rather identify as agnostic because there are those whom would start being rather unfriendly if they identify as atheist. "Atheist" has a certainty to it for many people that they aren't uncomfortable with, so some will identify as agnostic to say they aren't a believer but not make the believers they are talking to get all up in arms about it. It reminds me of a story I heard about a woman whose mother found out she was an atheist telling her "Not believing in God is one thing, but an atheist!?"

Well, I for one consider myself as an agnostic, yet I think my position toward religious institutions is probably more hostile than that of many atheists. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 03:12:19 AM »

Call me a naive, idealistic, young, deluded fool, but I still believe in progress as the driving force of humanity. Not progress as the steady advance of humanity toward a state of perfection, but as the long, sinuous, conflicted process that results in the world being, overall, a better place than it used to be. Yeah, I think the world is generally a better place than it was thousand years ago. And even better than it was 5000 years ago.

If I were to lose this belief, I would conclude that any action aimed at improving the world is pointless and insignificant in the big picture. So yeah, you can consider it a religious belief.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies