What Turtledove book should I get? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:22:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Turtledove book should I get? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Turtledove book should I get?  (Read 4439 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 11, 2011, 12:09:19 AM »
« edited: August 11, 2011, 12:24:01 AM by True Federalist »

Guns of the South is the best TL-191 book by far.  The rest feel like they were ripped off a template.  In the Presence of Mine Enemies is, by far, my favorite Turtledove book.  Most of his early stuff, such as Ruled Britannia, is also fairly good.

Guns of the South in not a TL-191 book.  It has a different POD entirely.  I like the premise, but it buys into the Marble Man mythology of Robert E. Lee way too much for my taste.

However, both Guns of the South and the TL-191 series are more believable that Harry Harrison's Stars and Stripes trilogy.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:40:06 PM »

Guns of the South in not a TL-191 book.  It has a different POD entirely.  I like the premise, but it buys into the Marble Man mythology of Robert E. Lee way too much for my taste.

However, both Guns of the South and the TL-191 series are more believable that Harry Harrison's Stars and Stripes trilogy.
Really?  I could never really get into TL-191 (they all feel like he was payed per word) but Guns of the South seemed like a natural predecessor.  I've never heard of Harry Harrison, but I guess he's not worth searching.

Harry Harrison has written some stuff worth reading, but Stars and Stripes ain't it.   The Guns of the South opens with a man in mottled clothing and with a strange accent coming into Lee's camp early in 1864 to show him a new rifle he says he can offer in quantity to the Confederacy.  He calls it the AK-47.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:05:24 PM »

He's started another book series, Supervolcano.  This one isn't alt-hist, but is set in modern times, but with the Yellowstone supervolcano going kablooey, leading to the United States needing one less star in its flag as no one lives in Wyoming anymore.  It's a typical Turtledove mish-mash and not one of his better efforts in my opinion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies