"I am a closet Christian" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:34:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "I am a closet Christian" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "I am a closet Christian"  (Read 1826 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: May 02, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »

I know many more closeted atheists than Christians, and most of the latter actually happen to be Mormons. Although I can understand why folks might want to be a bit reserved about their views early on as children when their peers are often (for a lack of better words) little, bigoted bastards, I consider it somewhat cowardly to conceal them out of fear, or for the sake of better fitting in as mature adults unless one lives in a society where being open carries a substantial risk to ones life.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:07 AM »

And in most of my courses on political science my peers did not hesitate to invoke Christian aspects of cultural heritage in warding off my occasional secular reform proposals. Discussions of religion do not come up in a lot of social science classes I think since it is just not often pertinent to the subject matter at hand. Many people studying the social sciences are not Christians but so far as I can tell faith and science do not have to conflict with one another if one is mindful not to let Scripture settle ones views on the natural world or science settle those on the supernatural. Incidentally, one of the best professors I had in college was just as much a believer and scholar of theology as he was one of cultures and American society.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies