Congress Passes Border Fence Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:03:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress Passes Border Fence Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were a legislator, how would you have voted on it?
Democrat -Aye

Democrat -Nay

Republican -Aye

Republican -Nay

independent/third party -Aye

independent/third party -Nay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Congress Passes Border Fence Bill  (Read 5400 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2006, 10:28:45 AM »

With Senate Vote, Congress Passes Border Fence Bill;
Barrier Trumps Immigration Overhaul

By Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, September 30, 2006; Page A01

The Senate gave final approval last night to legislation authorizing the construction of 700 miles of double-layered fencing on the U.S.-Mexico border, shelving President Bush's vision of a comprehensive overhaul of U.S. immigration laws in favor of a vast barrier.

The measure was pushed hard by House Republican leaders, who badly wanted to pass a piece of legislation that would make good on their promises to get tough on illegal immigrants, despite warnings from critics that a multibillion-dollar fence would do little to address the underlying economic, social and law enforcement problems, or to prevent others from slipping across the border. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) surprised many advocates of a more comprehensive approach to immigration problems when he took up the House bill last week.

But in Congress's rush to recess last night for the fall political campaigns, the fence bill passed easily, 80 to 19, with 26 Democrats joining 54 Republicans in support. One Republican, Sen. Lincoln D. Chafee (R.I.); one independent, Sen. James M. Jeffords (Vt.); and 17 Democrats opposed the bill. The president has indicated that he will sign it.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 11:39:02 AM »

Good. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 11:54:59 AM »

Beyond winning votes, what exactly is the point of this idea? Anyone who seriously thinks that building a fence (how much will it cost, btw?) will stop illegal immigration is a fool or is fooling themselves.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:01:33 PM »

Stopping illegal immigration is not possible but reducing it so its not a problem IS possible.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 12:08:17 PM »

I don't believe it could hurt, so yes.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 12:15:27 PM »

Beyond winning votes, what exactly is the point of this idea? Anyone who seriously thinks that building a fence (how much will it cost, btw?) will stop illegal immigration is a fool or is fooling themselves.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 12:23:18 PM »

Have there been studies done on:

1. Cost
2. How many illegal cross-overs this would actually prevent

I'd be more friendly to this idea if we didn't already have a huge amount of money invested in Iraq.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 12:36:59 PM »

Republican -Nay!!!
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 04:02:55 PM »

My thoughts exactly Al.

For the record a strong nay.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 04:48:34 PM »

Democrat-Nay. There are better ways to spend money.
Conan
conan

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »

Yes.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 05:35:39 PM »

Waste of money.  Chafee proves himself to be a great freedom fighter once again.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 05:36:12 PM »

I see it this way, I highly doubt that the cost of building a fence along the border will trump the cost of providing welfare and public services to millions of illegals. As long as it is an adequete wall that is well gaurded, then I think it will be a worth while investment.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 05:57:49 PM »

Nay.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 08:46:54 PM »

no (r)
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 09:58:23 PM »

Hopefully they make it an electric fence.

Seriously,  I dont really see a point in this unless they take my suggestion above.
UK.USfan
UK.USFan
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 06:57:22 AM »

Hi

I just been reading with interest the result of this vote on the Senate web site. I see that a lone Republican Chafee(RI) voted Nay for this Bill. Any reason why he would buck the trend whilst all other Rep voted Yea?.

Also why did Ted Kennedy(D-MA) not vote?...is he being stubborn and sitting on the fence(no pun intended!!) or was he absent for some reason?...just curious :-)

Thanks
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 10:48:03 PM »

AYe (R)--I like the bold is your choice thingy on the new board format.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 03:37:35 AM »

Massive waste of money. I'd vote no.

Take the money that would've been spent on this and spend it instead on prosecuting those who hire illegal immigrants.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 07:17:59 AM »

Nay.

While parts of the border will need to be fenced off at somepoint, the 700 mile bill did not actually fund the construction of a fence, but just that one could be built.  I'm more in line with the 300 mile bill that was passed (and funded), since it limits the fence to key hotspots yet doesn't waste tax revenue on a bigger fence that will just be breeched.  The money saved should be invested into placing US businesses in northern Mexico to help stem off the flow of otherwise law-abiding immigrants to keep them in their own country working jobs at higher salaries than they would find domestically, but at slightly lower wages than would be paid here in the US.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 10:17:22 AM »

Nay.

While parts of the border will need to be fenced off at somepoint, the 700 mile bill did not actually fund the construction of a fence, but just that one could be built.  I'm more in line with the 300 mile bill that was passed (and funded), since it limits the fence to key hotspots yet doesn't waste tax revenue on a bigger fence that will just be breeched.  The money saved should be invested into placing US businesses in northern Mexico to help stem off the flow of otherwise law-abiding immigrants to keep them in their own country working jobs at higher salaries than they would find domestically, but at slightly lower wages than would be paid here in the US.

I would strongly oppose government subsidies to businesses to get them to locate outside of the US, especially if the wages they were going to pay would be lower than here in the US. That's a double incentive to leave the country.

I want to end illegal immigration as much as the next guy, but why would taking away jobs in the US be the solution? That's the primary point of what we are trying to prevent.

I do very much agree that the only long term solution to the problem is to improve the economy of the countries that the immigrants are attempting to escape from, but subsidizing a US export of jobs is not the way to do that.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 10:33:17 AM »

I would strongly oppose government subsidies to businesses to get them to locate outside of the US, especially if the wages they were going to pay would be lower than here in the US. That's a double incentive to leave the country.

I want to end illegal immigration as much as the next guy, but why would taking away jobs in the US be the solution? That's the primary point of what we are trying to prevent.

I do very much agree that the only long term solution to the problem is to improve the economy of the countries that the immigrants are attempting to escape from, but subsidizing a US export of jobs is not the way to do that.

Not really.  We're not talking about shutting down Ford and moving them to Mexico or sending other domestic jobs out of the country, but rather opening more Wal-marts, basic manufacturing, agriculture, lower admin positions, etc . . . jobs that do not require higher levels of education which would appeal to otherwise law abiding Mexicans/foreigners.  With them working at these places within their own country, they would make a higher wage compared to some of their domestic companies, the Mexican government would have increased tax revenues from their employment, and the US govt/companies would realize increased income as well (which would actually provide the government with revenue to fund additional fences and/or subsidies for more companies). 

This is the most logical solution for the problem at hand.  The problem isn't the illegals coming into America.  The problem is the economic conditions in the countries where these illegals are coming from.  By spending money we would waste on a wall that would be easily breeched and using it to not only increase a foreign nations economic condition but our own as well, it's a win-win for everyone.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 11:33:52 AM »

Well, if these truly were newly created jobs and no jobs were being lost in this country in the process, then sure, I'm all for it. I'm still definitely not sure about it being something the government should be subsidizing, however, as that could create an incentive to move jobs out of this country to Mexico. Any kind of government funds would have to be strictly tied to that. I'm just very suspicious that it could easily turn into corporate welfare subsidizing a loss of US jobs. The devil would definitely be in the details on this legislation.

As long as there is no loss of jobs in the US, it's an excellent strategy, and I agree that the only long term solution is improving the economy of countries like Mexico.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »

Aye, need to also increase and fund the boarder patrol and national guard for the boarder as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies