Appeals Court rules part of Obamacare unconstitutional...... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:21:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Appeals Court rules part of Obamacare unconstitutional...... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Appeals Court rules part of Obamacare unconstitutional......  (Read 4585 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: August 12, 2011, 11:20:49 PM »

2)If the Supreme Court does review the constitutionality of the mandate, how will they rule?

I think it will be a 4-4-1 split, all conservatives objecting on the basis of the Commerce Clause, with Anthony Kennedy being the deciding vote.

What I want to know is what would happen if Kagan recuses herself and there is a 4-4 deadlock?

There's no reason for her to recuse herself.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »

2)If the Supreme Court does review the constitutionality of the mandate, how will they rule?

I think it will be a 4-4-1 split, all conservatives objecting on the basis of the Commerce Clause, with Anthony Kennedy being the deciding vote.

What I want to know is what would happen if Kagan recuses herself and there is a 4-4 deadlock?

There's no reason for her to recuse herself.

I think she was somehow involved with the process, but I don't know what role that was.

She's said she wasn't.  I'm willing to take her word for it.  That being said, with as much as Obama had been criticized up to that point, he probably should've known she'll be criticized for not recusing herself, and he's probably going to regret nominating her.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies