Iran says cheap "Made in China" Qurans full of typos
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:00:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Iran says cheap "Made in China" Qurans full of typos
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Iran says cheap "Made in China" Qurans full of typos  (Read 2328 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »

Must I remember than in some radical Catholic dissents, the bible and the mass are in Latin and can't be translated?
The latin bible is a translation, of course...

yes, the idea was the Vulgate was specially inspired as a translation in a way that didn't exist for the common tongues of Western Europe.  
Ah, so Hieronymus' mistakes were really corrections, thanks to divine inspiration?
Of course, the Vatican now (since 1979) peddles an official correct Latin translation, the Nova Vulgata, which preserves the Vulgata's literary style but not the howlers.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 03:00:12 PM »

Yesterday I finished my long-standing on-and-off project to read the entire Koran.  I must say that whenever people say that the Koran is much better in the original Arabic, I can only hope that they're right.  It's monotonous, repetitive, and doesn't flow well at all.  "They will be Companions of the Fire!"  "That is easy for Allah!"  "For Allah is most-forgiving, all-merciful," "Allah is greater than the things they attribute to Him!" etc.

not that it matters, but IMO the Koran is extremely condescending in it's tone...(no comment on its contents).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »

Yesterday I finished my long-standing on-and-off project to read the entire Koran.  I must say that whenever people say that the Koran is much better in the original Arabic, I can only hope that they're right.  It's monotonous, repetitive, and doesn't flow well at all.  "They will be Companions of the Fire!"  "That is easy for Allah!"  "For Allah is most-forgiving, all-merciful," "Allah is greater than the things they attribute to Him!" etc.

As a person who's actually studying classical Arabic I can assure you it's way better in original than translation.

In some translation is is really monotonous indeed.

In original it's extraordinary poetic and rhythmic.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, we had a lot of fun reading it in translation. Truth is, Koran in translation is like Louis XIV dressed like some modern gangsta.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies