Favorite American Sports Rivalry (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:06:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Favorite American Sports Rivalry (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Of those often considered the best in their sport
Maple Leafs/Canadiens (NHL)

Lakers/Celtics (NBA)

Yankees/Red Sox (MLB-AL)

Giants/Dodgers (MLB-NL)

Packers/Bears (NFL)

North Carolina/Duke (NCAAB)

Alabama/Auburn (NCAAF-Dixie)

Michigan/Ohio State (NCAAF-Yankee)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Favorite American Sports Rivalry  (Read 1180 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:55:42 PM »

Yankees Red Sox.  Gotta love the "I hate the yankees" hanky.  I've probably been to more games at the green monster than any other field, although I've been to at least half of the major league parks.  I've always been a greater fan of the Yankees than the Red Sox, but I've only seen about five Yankees home games, and as sorry as it's built, I like the Fenway Park experience more.  As much as I like the rowdy fans and that Frank Sinatra song that they always play at the end of the game, the Bronx stadium is just a bit too large for that small-town feel that you get at the fenway. 

Actually, Yankees versus anybody else is a great rivalry--I always take a New York Yankees towel to the gym, even here in Southeastern Pennsylvania, because I know that no one will steal it--but the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry is special.  Mostly because it cuts both ways.  The Yankees fans seem to enjoy antagonizing the Boston players as much as the Boston fans enjoy antagonizing the New York players.  Of course, the Boston fans aren't quite as violent.  I never saw any broken glass being tossed onto the field in Boston, but I've seen it several times in New York.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »

The yanks and the Red Sox are basically the same team. Historically it was good but it's ultra-rich snobby and loud New Yorkers vs. rich snobby Bostonites. I hate both teams.

I never got that impression.  I usually found myself seated next to decidedly blue-collar types at both of those stadiums. (stadia?)  "Go back ta Bostan, ya bum!" doesn't really strike me as a snob's battle cry.

It has been many years, though, since I've visited either of those parks.  These days, in the aftermath of the Credit Crunch of '08, perhaps the snobs are the only ones who can afford to see ballgames.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:37:14 PM »

But yes Angus, if it costs you 100+ bucks to get you and a buddy through the gate, I'm guessing it's mostly upper class folk going to games.  If I was a New Yorker I'd probably be a Mets fan just because I'm a cheap ass.

That would be the case if it cost a hundred dollars, but it actually does not.  For example, you can get a nosebleed seat for 12 dollars at Fenway, and with certain cans of Coca-Cola on certain nights you can get it for 6 dollars.  At Yankee Stadium, I remember when you could get one for about 8 dollars.  It would be interesting if we had a "cheapest seats by stadium" chart to go along with the average seat chart.  My guess is that for some games you can still find a 15-dollar bleacher seat at NY.

I did notice that currently there are no cheap seats left at Yankee stadium.  The cheapest seat available for tomorrow's game against the Astros is around 54 dollars.  There are 21 still available at that price.  At the other end of the scale, there are still two Legends 24A seats available at $1479.00 each.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies