'68 Democratic primaries: why did Kennedy win South Dakota and Nebraska? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 11:49:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  '68 Democratic primaries: why did Kennedy win South Dakota and Nebraska? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: '68 Democratic primaries: why did Kennedy win South Dakota and Nebraska?  (Read 4757 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: October 01, 2009, 05:05:33 PM »

I can't speak for South Dakota in 1968, but I know Kennedy campaigned pretty hard in Nebraska and did quite well with the rural Catholic vote. I believe RFK won Omaha, which combined with the rural vote is a guaranteed win in NE. McCarthy won in Lincoln and in a few rural areas and I have no explanation why on the later. FWIW, Ted Kennedy won several counties in the 1980 primary in eastern NE over Carter. I think Ted may actually have won South Dakota that year. 

Does anyone have a Kennedy/Carter '80 primary map of the states?

You know, there is a thread just a few down that is all about primaries...
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:15:08 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2009, 08:19:47 PM by realisticidealist »

I just added South Dakota's 1968 Democratic primary to my primary thread, and it appears that Kennedy absolutely dominated among the Native American vote, winning over 90% in Shannon County, plus he won generally in all areas of the state. RFK also won Brown (Aberdeen), Minnehaha (Sioux Falls), and Pennington (Rapid City) Counties, which contain a large chunk of South Dakota's vote.

For the record, RFK won South Dakota by almost 20 points; Kennedy received 49.5% to LBJ's 30% and McCarthy's 20.4%.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies