AIG is a joke
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:59:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  AIG is a joke
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AIG is a joke  (Read 542 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »

The dozens of insurance companies that make up the American International Group show signs of considerable weakness even after their corporate parent got the biggest bailout in history, a review of state regulatory filings shows.

Over time, the weaknesses could mean trouble for A.I.G.'s policyholders, and they raise difficult questions for regulators, who normally step in when an insurer gets into trouble. State commissioners are supposed to keep insurers from writing new policies if there is any doubt that they can cover their claims. But in A.I.G.'s case, regulators are eager for the insurers to keep writing new business, because they see it as the best hope of paying back taxpayers.

But state regulatory filings offer a different picture. They show that A.I.G.'s individual insurance companies have been doing an unusual volume of business with each other for many years -- investing in each other's stocks; borrowing from each other's investment portfolios; and guaranteeing each other's insurance policies, even when they have lacked the means to make good. Insurance examiners working for the states have occasionally flagged these activities, to little effect.

More ominously, many of A.I.G.'s insurance companies have reduced their own exposure by sending their risks to other companies, often under the same A.I.G. umbrella.

Nothing is wrong with spreading risks to other companies, a practice known as reinsurance, when it is carried out with unrelated, solvent companies. It can also be acceptable in small amounts between related companies. But A.I.G.'s companies have reinsured each other to such a large extent, experts say, that now billions of dollars worth of risks may have ended up at related companies that lack the means to cover them.

"An organization like this one relies on constant, ever-growing premium volume, so it can cover and pay for the deficits," said W. O. Myrick, a retired chief insurance examiner for Louisiana.

If A.I.G.'s incoming premiums shrink, he warned, "the whole thing's going to collapse in on itself."

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/107445/after-rescue-new-weakness-seen-at-aig.html?sec=topStories&pos=5&asset=&ccode=
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »

If the substance of this account is true, it would appear to violate several provisions of state regulations with respect to retention of risk, as well as misleading reporting of reinsurance.

A.I.G. needs to be broken up now, rather than being perpetually subsidized by the taxpayer.

Oh, and sorry, but A.I.G. is not a "joke," but rather a tragedy.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies