California Adopts 'Yes Means Yes' Sexual Assault Rule (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:52:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California Adopts 'Yes Means Yes' Sexual Assault Rule (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Adopts 'Yes Means Yes' Sexual Assault Rule  (Read 13727 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: September 30, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »

This is a great step in the right direction to prevent campus rape.

I don't understand why "affirmative consent" is in any way controversial - it's something that personally I've done for years to ensure I wasn't being too forward or misinterpreting anything. It's simple, makes both partners more comfortable, and if you do it smoothly you can seamlessly even include it in the verbal foreplay.

I don't think it's a bad idea for universities to handle this sort of thing as a first resort- a lot of campus rape happens when a guy takes advantage of a girl that got too drunk. In that situation, our societal norms place a lot of blame on the girl for allowing herself to become that inebriated (while the guy's predatory behavior is dismissively downplayed). That guilt prevents many women from going to the police. Often when one girl accuses a guy of rape, it causes several other victims to come forward with allegations against the guy - that's because only then can they see, "No, it wasn't because I was irresponsible, he didn't just do it to me, he's a rapist so he needs to be stopped". If done right, a familiar campus atmosphere can allow a more welcoming atmosphere for a rape victim to report what happened.

Also there's nothing wrong with the fact that school expulsion has a lower threshold of proof than a genuine criminal case. If school officials are deciding if their campus would be safer without someone present, if the majority of the evidence indicates he's a rapist it would be ridiculous to do anything other than expel him.

Also false accusations of rape almost never happen, and on the rare occasions where they do happen it's very rare for the guy to get punished for it since the fraud usually gets discovered and even if for some reason investigators don't discover it's a fraud the guy still goes free because entire thing is fake and therefore has no evidence. The only reason "false accusations" are seemingly so prevalent is because it's basically the only defense a rapist can logically make when they get accused of their crimes. Just because like literally every guy accused of sexual assault claims they're being wrongfully accused, it doesn't make it true or even imply the guy has any actual evidence to support his claim
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:01:08 PM »

This thread is a train wreck what the Christ did nobody else notice Mortimer claiming that spousal rape doesn't exist - by telling a story about how his friend was spousally raped??
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:19:22 PM »

Glad you responded morty, quick question. the consent that is implicitly granted to you by virtue of enticing your date to enter your residence- does it also cover the kinky stuff?

asking for a friend
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:56:46 AM »

The more I read this thread the happier I am that this law is a thing and I hope it becomes widespread nationwide. The only practical difference between affirmative consent and existing law/policy is that under the former it's not a valid defense for the guy to say "she never said no" while she was being raped.

This is necessary because sexual assault often happens in situations where the woman is too scared or intimidated to say no or to otherwise explicitly refuse the man's advances. Men who are very assertive or sexually aggressive with women are often perceived to be dangerous (justifiably so in many cases), so a lot of time rape happens because a man attempts to initiate sex and the woman acquiesces because she fears that spurning his advances will cause a violent reaction.

Men can even do this unintentionally by ignoring signals of non-consent because they assume consent had already implicitly been granted (like inviting her up for a drink in a situation with sexual overtones) and assume that if she changed her mind after that point she would explicitly say so.

tl;dr don't be like "I kno u wan it" because blurred lines lead to misunderstandings that cause rape, instead just be sure she actually does want it
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies