The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 12:12:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 76
Author Topic: The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V  (Read 205820 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: February 21, 2016, 01:54:03 AM »

I became a politics nerd at 11, and I thought I was precocious...

I don't think there was a specific moment when I became a political nerd. I have just become more and more of one throughout my life.

Very sad. It's just very sad. I feel really bad for them, but, you know, it's not nice to say it out loud! What a bunch of baloney.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #976 on: February 21, 2016, 07:42:19 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2016, 07:45:17 AM by DavidB. »

This poll and thread should be banned, because Trump is the only one in capital letters. Surely must be against the forum rules, if not it surely contradicts basic human decency of keeping it fair and not mess with fundamental democratic rules.
This guy is mental and should be institutionalized.

White Scandinavian guy, probably highly educated, thinks his quality of life will decrease if Trump becomes president Roll Eyes
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #977 on: February 21, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »

This poll and thread should be banned, because Trump is the only one in capital letters. Surely must be against the forum rules, if not it surely contradicts basic human decency of keeping it fair and not mess with fundamental democratic rules.
This guy is mental and should be institutionalized.

White Scandinavian guy, probably highly educated, thinks his quality of life will decrease if Trump becomes president Roll Eyes

If Trump (practically) abolishes NATO and hands us over to the Russian sphere of influence, which I think is a non-negligible probability, then it might well affect my quality of life. Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #978 on: February 21, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »

It's only a question of how long it takes for Jeb Bush to decide that he will not win this election. He did badly in a New England state (IA), a new England state (NH), a Southern state (SC) and a far-western state (NV). He has no regional strengths that he can exploit.
This was after Bush had dropped out the night before and before Republicans had voted in Nevada.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #979 on: February 21, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »

It's only a question of how long it takes for Jeb Bush to decide that he will not win this election. He did badly in a New England state (IA), a new England state (NH), a Southern state (SC) and a far-western state (NV). He has no regional strengths that he can exploit.
This was after Bush had dropped out the night before and before Republicans had voted in Nevada.

wat
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #980 on: February 21, 2016, 01:32:50 PM »

wat

Good grief, how did I miss that third bit of absurdity?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #981 on: February 21, 2016, 07:24:24 PM »

Please excuse the bump, but the number of references this has been getting lately inspired me to watch it a few days ago. Good God, it was awful

It's the worst movie that I've seen in a long time, and I am disturbed that so many people have recommended it to me in the years since its release. No wonder the movie's distributor acted as if it were trying to keep its audience as small as possible. I would do the same if I were contractually obligated to release the modern equivalent of The Birth of a Nation.

It's total smart-arsed pseudointellectual garbage

I never got the impression it was supposed to be anything other than slapstick comedy, much less any kind of "intellectual" project.

Either way it now seems, at least here in New York, that large families have come back into fashion amongst the wealthy and are now something of a status symbol. This trend does not seem limited to this city, or, indeed, this country.

This trend, assuming it is not fleeting, would contradict the premise of the film! (This is also a very good trend for other reasons, but that's for another time.)

The introduction is literally a pro-eugenics propaganda clip. This colors the entire movie, even if most of the remainder is driven by Sandler-esque attempts at humor.

I would say that that it doesn't really matter whether the implicit social darwinism is intentional, but it's hardly worth arguing something that's stated so directly. (Also, the idea that the person who created Office Space doesn't do social commentary is ridiculous.)  Am I missing some brilliant alternate interpretation? I have no idea how someone could watch the movie and just ignore what it's saying.

And that's without getting into the movie's classist take on intelligence, which just compounded the ugliness. Why does the movie conflate blue-collar stereotypes with stupidity? Is Mike Judge trying to compensate for what he did in Office Space, or something?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #982 on: February 22, 2016, 12:37:46 AM »

Trump is really good here in Massachusetts, I seriously think he could win here in November a lot of his support is Catholic Democrats who are sick and tired of Washington
Forget PA and WI, the Donald needs to target MA in the general!!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #983 on: February 22, 2016, 06:18:55 PM »

Trump is really good here in Massachusetts, I seriously think he could win here in November a lot of his support is Catholic Democrats who are sick and tired of Washington
Forget PA and WI, the Donald needs to target MA in the general!!
Trump can win a Bush '00 style victory (TIGHT), a Obama 2012 victory (meh, kinda sorta close), a Goldwater-esque landslide defeat (FRAUD AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT VOTERS), or a Nixon '72 victory (TRUMPSLIDE). I honestly don't know.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #984 on: February 22, 2016, 07:56:50 PM »

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #985 on: February 22, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »

Context:

Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #986 on: February 23, 2016, 02:18:49 AM »

oh ffs sjws, saying "bride" and "groom" on one form and having gender neutral terms on an other is the same as Jim Crow now?       

Uh, yes, it literally is.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #987 on: February 23, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »

I don't know any black person. I am not even sure if I ever talked to any, probably not.
lolpoland

But I don't know if I would feel comfortable with black friend. It would be so strange.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #988 on: February 23, 2016, 05:00:18 PM »

I don't know any black person. I am not even sure if I ever talked to any, probably not.
lolpoland

But I don't know if I would feel comfortable with black friend. It would be so strange.

That whole thing is so... kataak.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #989 on: February 23, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »

Talking about TX Primary.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #990 on: February 25, 2016, 01:30:54 AM »

Jesus F**king Christ...

Charles de Gaulle was a military leader who led the Free French Forces during World War 2.  After the war he became the leader of France, and pushed through a new economic system, but quit when he was sick of all the petty bickering and cheap politics.  He came back into power fifteen years later and passed constitutional amendments to reorganize France with the president as the most powerful figure.  His foreign policy revolved around restoring French glory and establishing French autonomy at the expense of many of her allies, particularly Britain and the United States.  He withdrew from NATO and developed nuclear weapons for France to pursue these aims.  He also tried to keep up good relations with the Soviet Union and various communist states, seeing France as an independent global power rather than on any particular side in the Cold War.  He granted Algeria, a French colony, self-determination rather than engaging in a long, bloody struggle to keep it.  Economically, he boycotted the European Economic Community as it was trying to move towards what the EU is today, and vetoed the UK's desire to join the EEC.  Perhaps most significantly, he killed Bretton Woods by exchanging all French US dollars for gold in protest of the dollar's global power, which led Nixon to switch the dollar from a gold-backed currency to a fiat currency.

Essentially, he was a non-politician who swept into power on his personal popularity, which was largely based around the perception that he was a strongman who was above petty politics.  His foreign policy wasn't exactly isolationist but more of an extreme pragmatism, and he was highly nationalistic and determined to protect his country's strength and interests, at the expense of many of his allies.  Economically he was a bully who smacked other countries around, including an assault on a highly impactful economic pact, to protect his country's financial interests.

Sound familiar?

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #991 on: February 29, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »

Suburbs. They're a better place to live: Less polution, more quiet, you know most of your neighbors.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #992 on: February 29, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »

Suburbs. They're a better place to live: Less polution, more quiet, you know most of your neighbors.

C'mon, red, you can't even be surprised at an answer like this, much less believe it's mine worthy.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #993 on: February 29, 2016, 12:30:26 PM »

Finally someone who agrees with me on this issue. Transgenderism is pretty much a form of Body Integrity Identity Disorder, where an otherwise healthy person feels intense hatred for a part of their body and wants to hack it off. There are people who think they should have been born an amputee and have their legs cut off, And the one woman who thought she should have been born blind, so she poured drain cleaner in her eyes to make it so.

Being gay is genetic and biological. I have two lesbian aunts, a gay uncle, four gay cousins, and I'm gay. It runs in my family. Transgender is just another one of today's "Special Snowflake" labels, just like these people that say they're not male or female and walk around wearing a men's muscle shirt and a skirt at the same time. It's just as ridiculous as the man who thinks he was supposed to be born a dog, so he wears a collar, eats Alpo out of a bowl on the floor, plays with chew toys, and sleeps in a doghouse, and Rachel Dolezel in Spokane who's always "identified" as black when she's clearly white and calls herself "transracial." 

I absolutely support the bill in South Dakota, and I hope Daugaard signs it. It's time that we as Democrats get back to reality and let this joke of a movement die out. "Ze" and "Zir" are not real pronouns, and should not be demanded or accepted. Whatever happened to common sense? The one paragraph in that article says it best:

Unlike members of the trans community, who are working against their biology and trying to change who they are physically, gay or lesbian people are trying to be nobody but themselves. They are not seeking surgery or hormone treatments.They love the same gender; they don’t want to be a different gender.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #994 on: February 29, 2016, 12:34:46 PM »

Jesus Christ
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #995 on: February 29, 2016, 01:37:08 PM »

Finally someone who agrees with me on this issue. Transgenderism is pretty much a form of Body Integrity Identity Disorder, where an otherwise healthy person feels intense hatred for a part of their body and wants to hack it off. There are people who think they should have been born an amputee and have their legs cut off, And the one woman who thought she should have been born blind, so she poured drain cleaner in her eyes to make it so.

Being gay is genetic and biological. I have two lesbian aunts, a gay uncle, four gay cousins, and I'm gay. It runs in my family. Transgender is just another one of today's "Special Snowflake" labels, just like these people that say they're not male or female and walk around wearing a men's muscle shirt and a skirt at the same time. It's just as ridiculous as the man who thinks he was supposed to be born a dog, so he wears a collar, eats Alpo out of a bowl on the floor, plays with chew toys, and sleeps in a doghouse, and Rachel Dolezel in Spokane who's always "identified" as black when she's clearly white and calls herself "transracial." 

I absolutely support the bill in South Dakota, and I hope Daugaard signs it. It's time that we as Democrats get back to reality and let this joke of a movement die out. "Ze" and "Zir" are not real pronouns, and should not be demanded or accepted. Whatever happened to common sense? The one paragraph in that article says it best:

Unlike members of the trans community, who are working against their biology and trying to change who they are physically, gay or lesbian people are trying to be nobody but themselves. They are not seeking surgery or hormone treatments.They love the same gender; they don’t want to be a different gender.

Where do we even start with this post?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #996 on: February 29, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »

I dunno, but I think at the very least there are some inconsistencies. How is transgendered not genetic as well? I'm not current on research regarding this but it seems like if being gay is genetic, then being transgendered would be too.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #997 on: March 01, 2016, 06:13:49 PM »

My aunt picked me up from practice tonight and I asked her if she voted and she said no and then said that she didn't know who to vote for and after some persuading, we are heading to her precient and she's voting for Cruz.

Hope your car crashes
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #998 on: March 01, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »

My aunt picked me up from practice tonight and I asked her if she voted and she said no and then said that she didn't know who to vote for and after some persuading, we are heading to her precient and she's voting for Cruz.

Hope your car crashes
I don't really see an issue. What am I missing?
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #999 on: March 01, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »

Hope your car crashes

I think you put this in the wrong thread. It belongs in the one-liners thread.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies