Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:35:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)  (Read 49029 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« on: November 24, 2014, 05:59:19 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if they indict him on some lesser charges, but first degree murder? What were they thinking when they put that on the list of possible charges?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »

I wonder if the Justice Department will bring charges on  Darren Wilson.  I really doubt it.  I am sure the same set of facts the grand jury had access to which led to this decision should also dissuade the Justice Department from acting.

I really doubt it. I can't think of any case where an unjustified police shooting brought federal charges - I know the Rodney King and Abner Louima cases had federal charges, but in both cases that was a question of torture or prolonged beating.

The next avenue is likely civil charges, and I imagine there'll be a very sympathetic jury in St. Louis.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:48:07 PM »

When was the last time a cop actually got convicted of murder?

As I recall, the cop in the Oscar Grant case when to prison for manslaughter, but not murder. Not sure beyond that.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:20:08 AM »

I heard there is rioting in Oakland. That can't be true, can it? I can't find anything on TV or the internet, so I assume that is a false alarm.

Oakland is always a powder keg. The combination of lots of tensions with the local police, and by far the most radicalized branch of Occupy anywhere.

Reportedly just some peaceful protests in NY, and I expect it to stay that way.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »

There was zero chance they would. They don't file federal civil rights charges unless they can prove them, and as we saw multiple times during the Grand Jury proceedings, there are WAY too many ifs in this case.

I think Pantaleo might get charged down the line, though. There's precedent.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies