OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:12:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins the Ohio U.S. Senate Race?
State Treasurer Josh Mandel (R)

U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 172

Author Topic: OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality  (Read 59598 times)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« on: April 14, 2017, 12:16:58 PM »

Sherrod Brown raised 2.4 mil in Q1 2017.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »

Truly an excellent haul.

In other news, the Club for Growth has taken out an ad attacking him for not being conservative enough and alleging he didn't do enough to repeal Obamacare -- which is strange when he was one of the few supporters of AHCA. The Club for Growth endorsed Mandel in December.

An Ad against Tiberi you mean?
Ah, yes. Could have sworn I had his name in there...

That said I'm sure Club for Growth *will * run ads against Sherrod for not being conservative enough Tongue
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »

Truly an excellent haul.

In other news, the Club for Growth has taken out an ad attacking him for not being conservative enough and alleging he didn't do enough to repeal Obamacare -- which is strange when he was one of the few supporters of AHCA. The Club for Growth endorsed Mandel in December.

An Ad against Tiberi you mean?
Ah, yes. Could have sworn I had his name in there...

That said I'm sure Club for Growth *will * run ads against Sherrod for not being conservative enough Tongue

Sure will, a lot of money will go into this race, mandel is an exceptional fundraiser. He'll attack brown for being too liberal for the state (he is). Brown will attack mandel for being too slimy (he is). Things will get ugly

Eh, he's lefty in a way that I (obviously as an outsider, so grain of salt) see as compatible with Ohio. I think provided he keeps the money relatively even, he stands a pretty good chance of being fine.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »

What specific policies of Brown's are too liberal for the people of Ohio?
I mean I don't really have time to list everything, from guns to single payer and beyond.

Sherrod's an unabashed far left progressive, I don't think it's that shocking for me to say that. And Ohio is a center right leaning swing state. Sherrods also an attentive and active senator who is likeable with a great Ohio ballot name, ideologically he's to the far left of the majority of state packed with blue collar Democrats.

41% of self described Republicans support single payer healthcare.
58% of the American public does. It's not a far left issue.

On guns you might have a point. But my gut tells me that that's more of an emotional "liberals look down on us" issue than one of specific policy for most voters. And Sherrod just doesn't come across as a condescending liberal.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »

What specific policies of Brown's are too liberal for the people of Ohio?
I mean I don't really have time to list everything, from guns to single payer and beyond.

Sherrod's an unabashed far left progressive, I don't think it's that shocking for me to say that. And Ohio is a center right leaning swing state. Sherrods also an attentive and active senator who is likeable with a great Ohio ballot name, ideologically he's to the far left of the majority of state packed with blue collar Democrats.

41% of self described Republicans support single payer healthcare.
58% of the American public does. It's not a far left issue.

On guns you might have a point. But my gut tells me that that's more of an emotional "liberals look down on us" issue than one of specific policy for most voters. And Sherrod just doesn't come across as a condescending liberal.
The majority of people don't support single payer.
When asked if they support single payer they say yes, when told what single payer is they don't like it. The majority of people have no idea what single payer actually means, it just sounds nice and they "support" it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/02/people-have-no-idea-what-single-payer-means/471045/

And don't say it's republican BS because I even took it from the Atlantic.

so few people understand polls.

So you're predicting that the NRSC is going to spend time explaining what single payer healthcare is in TV time in order to attack Brown?

Point being, the attack ad goes "Senator Sherrod Brown supports socialized medicine," Brown responds, "I support single payer!" Null issue, since the terminology is viewed favorably.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 01:35:57 AM »

Mandel reports raising a paltry $1.3 million, half of what Brown raised. Mandel's CoH is now $3.3 million, Brown's is $6.7. It's early yet, but worth noting Mandel kept much better pace with Brown last cycle and took Super PAC money when Brown did not.

Is Brown planning on taking super cash this time?

Not that I'm aware. He's definitely going for the Bernie angle, his Facebook ads and some emails note the average contribution is $27.

However, much like Bernie, I would be surprised if he objected to the UAW (or someone's) PAC cutting an ad for him and running it.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »

Remind me how much Ossoff raised again

Seriously money is not going to buy elections, Brown needs a strong campaign message (which he has time to formulate) that is distinct from the national Democratic brand, which is not popular in Ohio or pretty much anyplace that voted for Trump

As for the notion that Trump winning Ohio big makes it more likely to 'regress to the mean'...that's obviously laughable. Democrats face an uphill battle in Ohio and Iowa at any level these days, and an increasingly difficult battle in Michigan/Wisconsin/Pennsylvania. You'd think for how well versed Democrats are in demographics they would be able to see the obvious trends in these states away from them.

Sherrod Brown isn't a squirrelly looking 30 yo former congressional staffer running in an un-winnable district spending millions of dollars on ads in which he's looking down at a phone and tweeting.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:09:35 PM »

Magnificent Mandel reading the blue avvies on this thread:

Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »

Mandel always struck me as a mindset enthusiast.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 09:19:25 PM »

I've always admired his posture tbh.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies