Questions for ME Governor candidate NickG
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:17:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Questions for ME Governor candidate NickG
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Questions for ME Governor candidate NickG  (Read 2478 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2004, 08:03:20 PM »

I am running for the Mideastern region governorship in this weekend's election (May 14th-May 16th).

I will release an agenda for the region tomorrow, but these proposals will be modest, as Governors have basically no power.

Meanwhile, if you have any questions for me, post them here and I will answer them...whether about my views on the Mideastern region and the forum,  my real-life politics, the "united left" plan, or even about pollbooth.org.   (Sorry about posting another shameless plug!)

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 08:07:44 PM »

I fully endorse NickG for Governor.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 01:38:38 PM »

What are your views on some important issues?

Free trade

Gay marriage

Abortion

Iraq war

Vouchers

For instance... Smiley

And why did you reregister as a Progressive after leaving the party? Huh Smiley
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 01:53:39 PM »

I re-registered as a Progressive because I thought it was more honest to campaign that way.  I didn't leave the Progressives for any ideological reasons. Once the people who were sabotaging the party had left, there was no reason not to return, even though the party may not have the influence it used to.

I'll answer the issue questions below a little later.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 02:08:33 PM »

I re-registered as a Progressive because I thought it was more honest to campaign that way.  I didn't leave the Progressives for any ideological reasons. Once the people who were sabotaging the party had left, there was no reason not to return, even though the party may not have the influence it used to.

I'll answer the issue questions below a little later.

OK, that's what I thoght.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 02:13:27 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2004, 02:14:07 PM by NickG »

Free trade

Gay marriage

Abortion

Iraq war

Vouchers

Gay Marriage: I think all states should institute civil unions.  I also fully support gay marriage, and treating gays and lesbians as equals in our society in all other ways.

However, I am hesitant to push for gay marriage right now, because (a) public opinion seems so irrationally against it and (b) is seems that time is on the right side in this case.

If gays continue the remarkable progress they have made over the past 20 years, I think public opinion will support gay marriage in another 20.  While 2/3 of people oppose gay marriage, over half of people under 30 support it, while 80% over 65 oppose it.  Over time, support will only increase.  

However, if we try to push gay marriage on an unwilling public too early, I think it could backfire.  This is one issue where society is making clear and steady progress, and I would hate to see that progress stalled by inflaming a cultural war.

Abortion: I believe abortion should be legal in all cases up until a certain point in the fetus's development.  After that point, abortion should only be legal to save the life of the mother.  

I define this point as where the fetus develops consciousness...being aware of its surroundings and able to retain memories.  I guess I would draw the line at the third trimester, but I don't have the biology knowledge to know exactly what point in development that it.   It's a question for science, and I am no scientist.

I support government funding for abortion in all cases where the abortion is legal and the patient could get that funding for a routine operation.

I also support increased education and funding for birth control, so that abortions are less necessary.

Finally, I don't see any difference with regard to "partial birth abortion".  The method is not what is important.

more issues later...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 02:41:38 PM »

NickG, your policies seem rather similar to ours, yet you criticized us for our policies.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 02:57:54 PM »

NickG, your policies seem rather similar to ours, yet you criticized us for our policies.

I'm not sure my views on social issues are all that far from yours.  Although I thought your death penalty platform was nonsensical.   And I'm sure we have huge differences when it comes to economic policy.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 03:00:34 PM »

I'm not sure my views on social issues are all that far from yours.  Although I thought your death penalty platform was nonsensical.   And I'm sure we have huge differences when it comes to economic policy.

The point of our death penalty platform was that there have been several cases where innocent people have come very close to being executed, we will only allow the use of the death penalty in extreme cases or where there is ZERO doubt, in other words very strong forensic evidence along with other forms of evidence to show they are guilty.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 03:20:40 PM »

Free trade

Gay marriage

Abortion

Iraq war

Vouchers

Free Trade: I'm torn about this.  I realize that free trade produces overall economic growth, but I'm concerned about how that growth is distributed.  As of now, our society have very limited mechanisms to make sure that people who are harmed by free trade are also able to benefit from it.

Free trade helps: (a) people who are vested in large corporations and (b) marginally, consumers, who benefit from lower prices.  Free trade hurts working class people who lose their jobs.  I don't think people have the right to these specific jobs, but I think everyone should have the right to a job.  

So I would support free trade if it were accompanied by a much greater array of government programs designed to help the unemployed and underemployed.  These would include: greater unemployment benefits; governement funded job training and college tuition; universal, single-payer health care; and employment through a public works program.

Also, free trade tends to divide our society even more into primary and secondary labor markets, with more and more people being forced to take low-paying service jobs.  So I would also support raising the minimum wage to $10-$12/hour over the course of 3-5 years, and more closely regulating work hours and conditions in these sectors.  Certain specific industries may be exempt from this wage if they only employ teenagers or others who are not self-dependent.

Vouchers: Absolutely not.  I would like the public education system to be the best in every corner of the nation.  We should not encourage the wealthiest and most active parents to take their children out of the public schools.  Instead, we should use these funds (and more) to improve the schools.   We should hold teachers more accountable, but pay them much more, and make sure that all children recieve an equal quality education whether they come from a rich area or a poor one.

Ideally, all children should spend at least some time in public schools.  I spend my childhood in an excellent public school system, where, through busing and magnet programs, I was exposed to diverse ideas I would never otherwise experience.  I would like all children to have the chance at the same sort of education I had.  Vouchers drain the public schools, and only give that chance to a privileged few.  

I also worry that certain private school may not expose children to all the ideas about religion, politics, and science that the world has to offer.  Obviously, many public schools don't either, but this is something we should be trying to improve rather than giving up on.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 03:22:02 PM »

The point of our death penalty platform was that there have been several cases where innocent people have come very close to being executed, we will only allow the use of the death penalty in extreme cases or where there is ZERO doubt, in other words very strong forensic evidence along with other forms of evidence to show they are guilty.

OK, I was quibbling.  Your platform didn't say "ZERO doubt", it say "beyond a reasonable doubt", which is the exact standard we now use for ALL criminal convictions.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 04:15:06 PM »

Vouchers: Absolutely not.  I would like the public education system to be the best in every corner of the nation.  We should not encourage the wealthiest and most active parents to take their children out of the public schools.  Instead, we should use these funds (and more) to improve the schools.   We should hold teachers more accountable, but pay them much more, and make sure that all children recieve an equal quality education whether they come from a rich area or a poor one.

Ideally, all children should spend at least some time in public schools.  I spend my childhood in an excellent public school system, where, through busing and magnet programs, I was exposed to diverse ideas I would never otherwise experience.  I would like all children to have the chance at the same sort of education I had.  Vouchers drain the public schools, and only give that chance to a privileged few.  

I also worry that certain private school may not expose children to all the ideas about religion, politics, and science that the world has to offer.  Obviously, many public schools don't either, but this is something we should be trying to improve rather than giving up on.

Cheesy

*wishes the UAC had this platform*
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 05:19:37 PM »

Well I support limited vouchers coupled with increased funding to education, but I agree with NickG on everything else. I fully endorse NickG for Governor of the Mideast (and the Middle East too).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2004, 08:55:31 AM »

Free trade

Gay marriage

Abortion

Iraq war

Vouchers

Free Trade: I'm torn about this.  I realize that free trade produces overall economic growth, but I'm concerned about how that growth is distributed.  As of now, our society have very limited mechanisms to make sure that people who are harmed by free trade are also able to benefit from it.

Free trade helps: (a) people who are vested in large corporations and (b) marginally, consumers, who benefit from lower prices.  Free trade hurts working class people who lose their jobs.  I don't think people have the right to these specific jobs, but I think everyone should have the right to a job.  

So I would support free trade if it were accompanied by a much greater array of government programs designed to help the unemployed and underemployed.  These would include: greater unemployment benefits; governement funded job training and college tuition; universal, single-payer health care; and employment through a public works program.

Also, free trade tends to divide our society even more into primary and secondary labor markets, with more and more people being forced to take low-paying service jobs.  So I would also support raising the minimum wage to $10-$12/hour over the course of 3-5 years, and more closely regulating work hours and conditions in these sectors.  Certain specific industries may be exempt from this wage if they only employ teenagers or others who are not self-dependent.

Vouchers do not give the chance only to a prvlegied few. Anyone can use them. The whole point is to make it possible for kids from poor families to attend high status schools.

I haven't attended a public school since I was 9 and I don't think it did me any harm. On the contrary, it means more diversity and more choice.

A system in which you attend schools close to where you live would definitely make things hard on those from poorer families.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 04:25:27 PM »

anyone running against you?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 04:38:45 PM »

DukeFan from VA, who I think is a Republican.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 04:39:59 PM »

heh well you got my vote then.since he saw fit to call me an idiot and all.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 04:50:57 PM »

heh well you got my vote then.since he saw fit to call me an idiot and all.

To be fair, you did imply he was an idiot first.

whatever
i'm not surprised dukefan missed my point entirely.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 04:55:28 PM »

heh. Tongue
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 08:48:11 PM »

What do you think of the Right to Life League?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2004, 09:13:15 PM »

What do you think of the Right to Life League?

I'm guessing you can tell from my abortion position that I don't agree with Right to Life League, but I have no problem with them being on the forum.

I'm constantly disappointed with the nature of the abortion debate; people simply talk past each other.  And honestly, I think the pro-life arguments are more compelling, though ultimately incorrect.

I'm am in favor of abortions being legal, not because of any right-to-privacy argument, but because I don't believe a fetus at conception is alive or has a human soul...I believe that point comes much later in pregnancy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies