Religion and the 2004 Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:52:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Religion and the 2004 Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religion and the 2004 Election  (Read 5933 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: October 30, 2005, 05:57:59 PM »

Also, you list all counties in many states as having Catholics as the largest denomination.  That is probably true, but do they actually make up the majority?  I'm sure if you add together all the protestant sects(Episcopalians, Baptists, etc.)  you will find that they outnumber the Catholics.

Episcopalians and Baptists are as different from each other as they are different from Catholics.

It would be appropriate to place the "mainline" protestants together. That includes the Episcopalians, Methodists, Presbyterians, UCCers, much of the Lutheran groups, as well as some smaller denominations. They all share very similar theology, but differ primarily on their polity, or interal governance.

Agreed. That's how I like to classify things considering that my Lutheran denomination has way more in common with say the United Methodists (mainline Methodists) than the far more conservative Lutheran denoms (Missouri and Wisconsin synod).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 11:25:54 PM »

The biggest problem is really that Bush won a lot more counties than Kerry did...still, interesting to see. I didn't know Catholics dominated like that in states like Maine and New Hampshire, I thought they were concentrated in RI and MA.

They don't really "dominate", they just have the plurality. Also true for about half the counties in Minnesota, actually Catholics have a plurality in Minnesota (Lutherans of course being a very close runner up)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies