Prediction: Hillary will win Orange County CA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:33:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Prediction: Hillary will win Orange County CA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prediction: Hillary will win Orange County CA  (Read 1242 times)
Arbitrage1980
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2016, 12:59:41 PM »

Thus becoming the first democrat since FDR in 1936 to do so.

OC is very diverse, lot of latinos and Asians. And Trump is anathema to wealthy whites who live in places such as Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.  In 2008 Obama lost the county by just 3 points. Not sure if any OC polls have been done, but I would not be surprised at all if Hillary wins it.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 01:04:36 PM »

I'm buying it too
The Advocate
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »

Considering the demographics of OC (large minority and educated, urban and suburban population), the odds are certainly in her favor.
Panda Express

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »

Willard Mitt Romney only got 51.8% so yeah, it's flipping.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »

Indeed. The way demographics and voting habits have shifted, Hillary possibly could've won OC even if Trump weren't the GOP nominee.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 01:26:20 PM »

In 2004 Bush got 59.7% in OC. Amazing how quickly things change.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »

Indeed. The way demographics and voting habits have shifted, Hillary possibly could've won OC even if Trump weren't the GOP nominee.

Rubio, Kasich, Walker, would have played fairly well in OC.  Given how awful of a candidate Hillary is, I think any one of them would have won OC convincingly, doing better than McCain or Romney.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »

She'll win the county as a whole for sure. As you said, the wealthy whites turned off by Trump combined with the large minority population will deliver the county to Clinton.

How do people think my home city of Newport Beach will vote?

Newport Beach, one of my favorite places in the country.  I think Hillary wins it; I know a lot of wealthy whites in southern cali and other affluent areas who think Trump is utterly insane and unqualified to be President.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »

OC is shifting rapidly. I'm a Newport Beach resident and 95% of bumper stickers I see are Sanders stickers (yesterday I saw a Bernie bumper sticker on a Porsche). I've literally only seen one Trump sticker, located on the back of a supermarket employee's car (I'm assuming it's a worker at my local supermarket as it's always parked in the same place outside of it every day)

Ok; this is shocking.  I have no idea why wealthy whites would support Bernie, but hey that's just me.  I work in finance in NYC, and bunch of my friends who voted Romney are gonna vote Hillary or Johnson.  I'm a lifelong conservative republican and will vote Johnson.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »

It's going to happen eventually. Might as well be 2016.

OC will be PVI neutral by 2024.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 04:10:08 PM »

It's going to happen eventually. Might as well be 2016.

OC will be PVI neutral by 2024.

I'm getting the growing feeling that November will be brutal for Trump, and even down-ballot Republicans up and down the entire West Coast...

During the Dem primaries, I posted some detailed breakdowns of county and precinct level numbers, and noted the collapse of Hillary primary support from '08 to '12 in more heavily blue-collar regions of "downstate Oregon", as well as among largely industrial working-class areas in Metro-Portland.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the opinion, that not only will Republican support completely bottom-out in suburban Portland, but additionally middle and upper-middle class California retirement areas in Southern and Central Oregon will swing heavily Democrat as well (Jackson, Curry, Deschutes in particular).

Additionally, I suspect that Hillary will manage to hold downstate White-Working-Class Obama '08 voters in Coos, Columbia, Douglas, and Linn counties that voted heavily Bernie in the primaries, with minor defections to 3rd party candidates.

Furthermore, in the most heavily Republican parts of the state in Eastern Oregon, I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant Democratic swing in heavily Latino counties like Malheur and Umatilla.

Desroko
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 09:41:11 PM »

OC is shifting rapidly. I'm a Newport Beach resident and 95% of bumper stickers I see are Sanders stickers (yesterday I saw a Bernie bumper sticker on a Porsche). I've literally only seen one Trump sticker, located on the back of a supermarket employee's car (I'm assuming it's a worker at my local supermarket as it's always parked in the same place outside of it every day)

Ok; this is shocking.  I have no idea why wealthy whites would support Bernie, but hey that's just me.  I work in finance in NYC, and bunch of my friends who voted Romney are gonna vote Hillary or Johnson.  I'm a lifelong conservative republican and will vote Johnson.

Not really - it's why you ignore complete bullsh**t like bumper stickers and lawn signs.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »

Probably.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 10:03:35 PM »

Orange is one of several diverse Romney counties likely to go to for Hillary.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 10:10:33 PM »

I think she'll win it too. If she wins Del Norte as well (in the far north on the Oregon border), she'd sweep the entire coast. I highly doubt she can though, unfortunately.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 10:16:11 PM »

I think she'll win it too. If she wins Del Norte as well (in the far north on the Oregon border), she'd sweep the entire coast. I highly doubt she can though, unfortunately.

I would love to see that happen.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 09:18:08 AM »

Eh, I think any other Pub carries it (again).  However, I think Hillary will win it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies