Scotch-Irish? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:26:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Scotch-Irish? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scotch-Irish?  (Read 4185 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: February 25, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »

So I've been making a spreadsheet of the ancestry demographics of each state, and so far I have been combining "American" and English because of my very same suspicion that English ancestry is under-reported.  Is there a better suggested method that you guys think would be more accurate (because I now fear that I am almost entirely eliminating "Scotch-Irish").

I am also dividing the stated percentages by the total population and then dividing that number by the White population of each state, because I would be much more interested to know what percentage of White people are of each European ancestry (obviously MOST minorities are not going to be of majority European ancestry, LOL).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:35:12 PM »

So I've been making a spreadsheet of the ancestry demographics of each state, and so far I have been combining "American" and English because of my very same suspicion that English ancestry is under-reported.  Is there a better suggested method that you guys think would be more accurate (because I now fear that I am almost entirely eliminating "Scotch-Irish").

I am also dividing the stated percentages by the total population and then dividing that number by the White population of each state, because I would be much more interested to know what percentage of White people are of each European ancestry (obviously MOST minorities are not going to be of majority European ancestry, LOL).

Very interested to see how this turns out.

I just started a new job (which could be a real positive turn in my career for how relatively young I still am), so I won't be finishing it anytime soon. Sad  However, here is what I have so far (I cherry-picked some states that I thought would be more interesting):

TOP EUROPEAN ANCESTRIES BY STATE (% OF WHITE PEOPLE IN STATE) (English and "American" are combined into "English")
Illinois
29.50% German
18.60% Irish
17.60% English
11.00% Polish
8.90% Italian
3.40% Swedish
3.10% French

Indiana
26.40% German
24.20% English
12.50% Irish