What religion are you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:28:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What religion are you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ^^
Christian/Catholic

Islam

Jewish

Buddhist

Hindu

Shinto

Sikhism

Other

Atheist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: What religion are you?  (Read 3713 times)
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2013, 09:02:19 PM »

Agnostic atheist
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »

I would've appreciated an Agnostic option, but I do definitely lean towards theism over atheism. I'm sort of with what is considered "Christian Agnosticism".
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »

I voted for atheist, but that's not really accurate.

I was raised as a Christian, an evangelical protestant whatever. One of the things that got me was how one of the only reasons I was such a strong believer was because I was raised that way. Were I born elsewhere, I'd passionately follow whatever else. All of the meaning began to melt away and it all felt so artificial. The strong sense of greater purpose and assurance and wisdom was reflected back at me in the lives of Muslims, Buddhists, Jews.. there was no greater understanding they were missing out on. So, I rejected it. But does that mean I don't believe in a God? I don't know, or frankly care. It doesn't affect anything.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »

Atheist
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »

Word! Cheesy

Heh, I actually got tapped the other week to become a Deacon for iur congregation.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »

Roman Catholic.. the only way to live
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »

I would've appreciated an Agnostic option, but I do definitely lean towards theism over atheism. I'm sort of with what is considered "Christian Agnosticism".

"Atheism" really just means "without theism."  Agnostics are essentially atheists.  That's not to say that I don't understand the purpose of separating "atheist" to mean "active disbelief in God."  But, lacking separate options, "atheist" is pretty much sufficient to cover agnosticism.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2013, 06:28:58 PM »

"Atheism" really just means "without theism."  Agnostics are essentially atheists.  That's not to say that I don't understand the purpose of separating "atheist" to mean "active disbelief in God."  But, lacking separate options, "atheist" is pretty much sufficient to cover agnosticism.
Atheism has pretty much become a religion unto itself.  Of course you might differentiate this as "humanism".... but the dogmatic urgency that atheists proclaim their beliefs loud and clear... inherently seems religious.

Agnostics like me simply don't know or care enough.  There may be a loving all father God or a mother Goddess or many gods or no gods or perhaps just super smart, powerful aliens... I don't know and I don't really care.

At the end of the day they pretty much just want your money and your devotion with various negative consequences for not following suit (whether that be eternal hellfire or a colossal waste of time).
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »

The best way to describe me is agnostic, although I ascribe to logical positivism when it comes to religion.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »

Atheism has pretty much become a religion unto itself.  Of course you might differentiate this as "humanism".... but the dogmatic urgency that atheists proclaim their beliefs loud and clear... inherently seems religious.

Agnostics like me simply don't know or care enough.  There may be a loving all father God or a mother Goddess or many gods or no gods or perhaps just super smart, powerful aliens... I don't know and I don't really care.

At the end of the day they pretty much just want your money and your devotion with various negative consequences for not following suit (whether that be eternal hellfire or a colossal waste of time).

I'm not sure what that has to do with my post, but cool?

My point was that "atheism" and "agnosticism" aren't mutually exclusive, because "atheism" has a broader definition than most people assume.  (Technically, what most people call "atheism" is really hard atheism.)  I know that some people have adopted "atheism" and "agnosticism" to represent hard and soft atheism, respectfully, but "atheism" can include agnosticism.

"Religion," as far as I know, requires a metaphysical claim of some sort.  Simply being dogmatic about ethical or epistemic issues doesn't make for a metaphysical claim.  Being dickish and dogmatic doesn't make atheism a religion; it just means that some atheists engage in unattractive behavior that is common with some religious people.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »

I'm not sure what that has to do with my post, but cool?

My point was that "atheism" and "agnosticism" aren't mutually exclusive, because "atheism" has a broader definition than most people assume.  (Technically, what most people call "atheism" is really hard atheism.)  I know that some people have adopted "atheism" and "agnosticism" to represent hard and soft atheism, respectfully, but "atheism" can include agnosticism.

"Religion," as far as I know, requires a metaphysical claim of some sort.  Simply being dogmatic about ethical or epistemic issues doesn't make for a metaphysical claim.  Being dickish and dogmatic doesn't make atheism a religion; it just means that some atheists engage in unattractive behavior that is common with some religious people.
It's like sugar.  You can cut it out... but you will have to replace it with something.  Being dogmatic about ethical issues is by its very nature metaphysical when you start asking where these morals or ethics come from.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »

None. Not religious or superstitious. Not spiritual either, really.

As to a supreme being, which I treat as wholly separate, I don't know if there is one or not, but I can't believe in one per se until there is proof.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2013, 07:13:04 PM »

It's like sugar.  You can cut it out... but you will have to replace it with something. 

What's like sugar?  Moralizing?  Or ethics?

Being dogmatic about ethical issues is by its very nature metaphysical when you start asking where these morals or ethics come from.

Sorry, I meant to write supernatural, and not metaphysical.  You can make a metaphysical claim (a first principle claim) without claiming supernatural backing.  Religion involves supernatural claims, not any old first principle claim.  Besides, first principle claims don't have to be dogmatic.  I feel like you're forcing an equivalency here.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2013, 11:52:45 PM »

Reform Jew.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2013, 11:57:21 PM »

Catholic.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2013, 03:17:09 AM »

Catholic.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2013, 08:09:50 AM »

I don't entirely disagree with you. I think agnosticism includes both theistic and atheistic options. Theism and atheism can both be a subset of the larger agnostic view. My point was that I lean more towards agnostic theism over agnostic atheism. I'm not at all certain over the existence of a higher power/deity, but I do believe it is more likely that there is at least one as opposed to none.

I do think that if Christian/Catholic is an option, the poll should've had an Agnostic option somewhere (even if it was "Atheism/Agnosticism").
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »

I don't entirely disagree with you. I think agnosticism includes both theistic and atheistic options.

Moreover, atheism includes both religious and irreligious options.  There are the traditional religious atheists, who practice ancestor worship or animism and have been around as long as the polytheists and longer than the monotheists, and then there are the latter-day atheists who want to stamp out all religion, and whose brand of atheism is worn like a badge of honor and is proselytizing and evangelical and exceedingly annoying.  If I thought they'd show up at my door the way the Mormons and Jehovah's Witness do, with pamphlets and such, I think I'd nail it shut. 
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »

Word! Cheesy

Heh, I actually got tapped the other week to become a Deacon for iur congregation.

Off-topic (slightly): but there is such a lack of Protestants here.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2013, 06:38:09 PM by Torie »

Word! Cheesy

Protestants tend to migrate either towards fundamentalism or atheism/universalism/new ageism. We have plenty of some variant of the latter around here. Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »

Other. And just "other".

Despite being primarily raised in the Lutheran and Presbyterian churches, I have also had lots of exposure to Hinduism and Unitarian Universalism. There's just so much about Abrahamic religions I can't accept.

Just as I swing back and forth between Repub and Indie with my party ID, I find it hard to identify as Christian, but there is no other religion I can identify with. Buddhism would be the closest non-Christian philosophy.
As a gay, you are not allowed to be a Republican.  You are allowed to be independent of course... but don't let your mancrush on Mitt Romney cloud your judgment!  At the end of the day I feel like you'll just be disappointed as a semi-brown gay who wants to be accepted by people who just aren't very accepting.

Obviously you can be whatever you want... just don't go over to the dark side! Smiley
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »

Word! Cheesy

Protestants tend to migrate either towards fundamentalism or atheism/universalism/new ageism. We have plenty of some variant of the latter around here. Tongue

And the high church ones mostly quit or go swimming in the Tiber (Scott & Nate excepted)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »

I was baptized and confirmed in the Greek Orthodox Church, which apparently means I can visit Mount Athos if I want to (restricted to Orthodox males over 18).

But my family mainly attended a Community of Christ (RLDS) church when I was little and then a United Methodist church until I was about 12 or 13.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »

I was baptized and confirmed in the Greek Orthodox Church, which apparently means I can visit Mount Athos if I want to (restricted to Orthodox males over 18).

Are cell phones allowed there? If so it'd be a great place to play Ingress.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »

Are cell phones allowed there? If so it'd be a great place to play Ingress.

No clue. It's basically a big monastery and I think that sort of thing is generally frowned upon (both the cell phones and the playing of Ingress). Can't be stealing portals or whatever it is you do while people are trying to pray or meditate or whatever.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies