Are Republican Party policies the root cause of nearly all of our problems? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:09:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are Republican Party policies the root cause of nearly all of our problems? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 113

Author Topic: Are Republican Party policies the root cause of nearly all of our problems?  (Read 7689 times)
hopper
United States

« on: July 26, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »

I do think the Republicans mantra about signing "Grover Norquist Tax Pledges" has to stop I mean you never raise any taxes on anybody. That just doesn't make sense at all.

I also think the GOP has to stop thinking any tax cut is a good tax cut. In my opinion the whole GOP policy on tax cuts has been there since Bush H.W. broke his "No New Tax Pledge" in 1990 and the party has been scared as heck to raise taxes on anybody ever since then. Its not 1992 or 1994 anymore. I was actually happy to see the Republicans to let some of the Bush Tax Cuts expire after Obamas re-election victory in 2012. Its a step in the right direction. Just let all of the Bush Tax Cuts expire and raise taxes across the board if Obama wants to do entitlement reform.

hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »

The prez, Obama was willing to work with the 114th GOP Congress on the Bowles and Simpson plan. But the GOP went back on their word, concerning closing tax loopholes.

Then, there is immigration, raising cap on social Security and min wage.
Bowles/Simpson is a proposal that dates back to the 111th or 112th Congress.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 01:06:44 PM »

I think American voters can distinguish between the activists of both parties.

Activist tea party has lead the democratic winning coalition of presidential and senate victories as of late.
Last time I looked the Republicans have a majority in the US Senate but you guys will probably get your majority back next cycle.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:10:34 PM »

I think evidence shows that tax cuts are not some magic bullet like the blowhard talking heads suggest. An endless stream of wealth to be returned to the private sector that was being occupied by the government and its wasteful spending.

You do have diminishing returns and once your tax rates are already low, cutting them again is not going to yield much results. Cutting them from 90% to 70% or from 70% to 28% is a different story obviously.
Well Bill Clinton only got the top rate up to 39% in 1993. Clinton could have pushed push the rate further up if he wanted to back then.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies