Osama bin Laden dead (Official) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:59:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Osama bin Laden dead (Official) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Osama bin Laden dead (Official)  (Read 40928 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 01, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »

Took long enough.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »

I feel sorry for the guy.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:59:50 PM »

Hacks for what? They merely have a different opinion than you.
saying we have lost because we celebrate the death of and victory over enemies of freedom is a completely backward idea that belittles the harm done by these tyrants.

Jmcfst, please stop referring to Osama as a 'dictator'. The guy was a terrorist, that's something different. Some cynical part of me is thinking you're conciously calling him a dictator to imply that he was in any way a leading figure in the Muslim community. We both know intellectual dishonesty is far from being a no-go for you.

you might be quoting the wrong post, if not the wrong person

Jmf, just because the guy used a synonym is no reason to dismiss his criticism. Since Osama has never been a sovereign or held political power, he was never a tyrant, dictator, autocrat, despot, etc.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

Jmf, just because the guy used a synonym is no reason to dismiss his criticism. Since Osama has never been a sovereign or held political power, he was never a tyrant, dictator, autocrat, despot, etc.

so, the phrase "tyranny of terrorism" is a misnomer? 

It is a metaphor, under which terror itself is the tyrant, not any particular terrorist.  I may be wrong, but I doubt Rumsfeld (the apparent originator of that particular phrase) ever called Osama a tyrant or dictator.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »

so, the phrase "tyranny of terrorism" is a misnomer? 

It is a metaphor, under which terror itself is the tyrant, not any particular terrorist.  I may be wrong, but I doubt Rumsfeld (the apparent originator of that particular phrase) ever called Osama a tyrant or dictator.
if terrorism is a tyrant, and terrorism is just an extension of a terrorist, then doesn't it follow that the terrorists themselves are projecting their own form of tyranny?  or should I have just used the word "bully"?  (not arguing, just trying to learn some vocab)

It would be more direct, and there was nothing in your previous usage of the term to suggest that you were trying to be metaphorical.  The phrase "tyranny of terrorism" rolls off the tongue, which is likely why others have copied Rumsfeld's turn of phrase.  (The man really should have been a speechwriter rather than a Secretary of Defense.  He does have a flair for words.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies