Republican National Convention **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:38:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republican National Convention **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 101490 times)
musicblind
United States

« on: July 19, 2016, 08:23:13 PM »

Why are there so many empty seats?

Is this normal? I don't remember seeing that many empty seats in the past?

Are people not there because they fear for their safety due to the recent terror attacks?

Did they forget to tarp over the seats or something?
musicblind
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:31:09 PM »

Why are there so many empty seats?

Is this normal? I don't remember seeing that many empty seats in the past?

Are people not there because they fear for their safety due to the recent terror attacks?

Did they forget to tarp over the seats or something?

Voting for delegates is over. Many states have delegate receptions that are starting up. I'll be heading to one myself in about a half hour.

Thank you! I've been trying to figure it out. I know if I had the chance to be at a convention, I'd want to hear every speech. I didn't know they had receptions and things going on during the speeches.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »

Even if you think Hillary is guilty of some wrongdoing, there's something very unsettling about a crowd screaming "lock her up." This is sickening.

I agree. That chilling moment could turn into this year's "Drill, baby drill."
musicblind
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:18:12 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2016, 09:19:49 PM by musicblind »

Trump Jr. looks like a cartoon character of an arrogant rich kid. That look on his face when he pauses between sentences... That's the "rich kids of instagram" look.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:36:13 PM »

So far, Donald Trump Jr. was the only truly effective speech tonight. At least for my tastes.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 07:49:18 PM by musicblind »

Ingraham is such a gross joke.

Plus, I am dead tired of anyone referencing Ronald fing Reagan 28 years after his mediocre/bad Presidency came to a near disgraceful end.

Dude, Reagan won in epic landslides. Obama didn't even accomplish that.

Doesnt mean he wasnt a mediocore president

Do you think Nixon was a great president by that standard?

You can have your opinion, but he's generally regarded one of the best Presidents in history when polls are taken.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/02/16/new-ranking-of-u-s-presidents-puts-lincoln-1-obama-18-kennedy-judged-most-over-rated/

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145064/Kennedy-Highest-Rated-Modern-President-Nixon-Lowest.aspx

The Washington Post ranking, by historical scholars, lists Clinton higher than Reagan. The Gallup poll, of just the general population, has Clinton right next to Reagan and ranked at number 3. What are your thoughts on that?

I don't mean that in a biting way. I'm sincerely curious.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 07:54:30 PM »

I hate to hear these pundits trying to more or less guilt trip Cruz into endorsing Trump.

I'm not a fan of Cruz, but the one thing I respect about him is that he has conviction; he means most of the things he says. Let him come and do what he wants to do... which I imagine will include unfairly bashing Hillary Clinton... but don't bully people into making endorsements. If you do that, the endorsement means nothing anyway.

And I'm not being hypocritical. On the Democratic side of things, I was very disappointed to hear that Sanders was booed by members of congress for not having endorsed Clinton sooner.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 08:00:01 PM »

Ingraham is such a gross joke.

Plus, I am dead tired of anyone referencing Ronald fing Reagan 28 years after his mediocre/bad Presidency came to a near disgraceful end.

Dude, Reagan won in epic landslides. Obama didn't even accomplish that.

Doesnt mean he wasnt a mediocore president

Do you think Nixon was a great president by that standard?

You can have your opinion, but he's generally regarded one of the best Presidents in history when polls are taken.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/02/16/new-ranking-of-u-s-presidents-puts-lincoln-1-obama-18-kennedy-judged-most-over-rated/

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145064/Kennedy-Highest-Rated-Modern-President-Nixon-Lowest.aspx

The Washington Post ranking, by historical scholars, lists Clinton higher than Reagan. The Gallup poll, of just the general population, has Clinton right next to Reagan and ranked at number 3. What are your thoughts on that?

I don't mean that in a biting way. I'm sincerely curious.

I think Clinton was a good President as well.

Wow, that kind of honesty is refreshing to hear. I wish we had more Republican's like you in my state. Most of the ones I know just bash and attack my side. For what it's worth, despite being a Democrat, I have a lot of admiration for Eisenhower and respect for Bush Sr.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 08:21:28 PM »

They really need to get off this "prison" kick. It makes them look sketchy to moderate voters.

I'm disappointed in Scott Walker for bringing that up. He's experienced enough in politics to know better. The real audience isn't in that arena, the real audience is watching at home.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 08:41:30 PM by musicblind »

I thought Lynne Patton's speech was the best so far.

I agree. It wasn't just the best one tonight, either. In my opinion, it was the best speech of the entire week. I don't think anything could get me to vote for Trump, but that speech helped me understand why someone might.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 08:51:52 PM »

I know he is a very hated man, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Cruz is an amazing orator.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »

"Whether you are... gay or straight... you have the right to live according to your conscience."

Did Cruz just endorse gay marriage?

I don't know if that was his intention, but the line certainly raised my eyebrows.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »

I don't agree with Ted Cruz on much... or anything, really.

But I admire his conviction. I would not have had the courage to stand there, take that kind of abuse, look down the barrel of a gun, and never waiver in my values.

That took real courage and courage is something you rarely see in politics.

Cruz may not be a popular man, but he is more of a man than Trump will ever be.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 06:43:42 PM »

So are there people who think there will still be a convention bounce? There's no way sane people watching at home will actually like what's going on here.

Well, the early numbers do not look good: http://pollways.bangordailynews.com/2016/07/21/national/is-trump-getting-a-negative-bounce-from-the-gop-convention/

If those numbers hold up, he needs to really knock this speech out of the ballpark or he could risk an inverse bump.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 07:09:38 PM »

Trump speech tonight has been leaked before he reads it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-speech-full-text_us_5791547ae4b0bdddc4d3ea99?uvkz0homss9d4pldi

anyone think this will be a thing mentioned in the media or will no one notice?

I am honestly shocked that this is not being talked about in the media. This speech did not just "leak" ... it was leaked by an insider to a Democratic superpac.

It makes you wonder...
musicblind
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »

And you guys call Trump a fascist...

I hate to jump in, but I don't think anyone, on either side, should call for a political opponent's death.

Is Arpaio a horrible, horrible, horrible man. Yes. Will karma get him someday? Maybe. But to my knowledge, he has never murdered someone. Has he?

Oh yeah, I guess Arpaio's a fascist too

Do you seriously find nothing wrong with calling for the execution of someone on the basis of political disagreeances? Christ, there is just no decency here.

Grow some.

So you have no problem with what the WV delegate said then, do you?
musicblind
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »

Trump speech tonight has been leaked before he reads it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-speech-full-text_us_5791547ae4b0bdddc4d3ea99?uvkz0homss9d4pldi

anyone think this will be a thing mentioned in the media or will no one notice?

I am honestly shocked that this is not being talked about in the media. This speech did not just "leak" ... it was leaked by an insider to a Democratic superpac.

It makes you wonder...
Trump?

I do not think so. But the source did say it was leaked by a "legitimate" Republican, according to Politico.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 07:24:15 PM »

Is anyone else worried that Trump's speech may seal a win for him?

I feel it might spell a convention bounce for him. I don't think it guarantees a win, but it is well written. Full of crap, but well written.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »

What's with this story they mentioned on CNN about a select few delegates trying to organize an endorsement of Gary Johnson after the speeches tonight?

musicblind
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »

Really? Is he trying sabotage Trump on purpose?
musicblind
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 08:13:29 PM »

Dana Bash is claiming that this guy is handing out "Never Trump" buttons on the RNC floor?

Is that safe? That doesn't sound like a safe thing to do.

https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/756289462141788160
musicblind
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 08:16:18 PM »

Dana Bash is claiming that this guy is handing out "Never Trump" buttons on the RNC floor?

Is that safe? That doesn't sound like a safe thing to do.

https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/756289462141788160
She isn't the best of sources though.....

Has she been historically wrong on this kind of thing? I have followed politics for a long time, but I'm newer to using CNN has a source.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 08:21:33 PM »

I'm excited for this Peter Thiel speech.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 08:28:17 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2016, 08:30:11 PM by musicblind »

Wow. Did Thiel look really wound up to you? Almost coked up? I was really looking forward to that speech but he spoke so fast... he even walked really really fast.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »

Is 'Silicon Valley tech billionaire' really going to play well across the fruited plain?

I don't see why not. Thiel is a brilliant guy. I don't agree with his politics, but I admire him for his success and for not shying away from his sexual orientation.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies