H.R. 748- Interstate Parental Notification Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:04:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  H.R. 748- Interstate Parental Notification Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you support this?
Yes(D)

No(D)

Yes(R)

No(R)

Yes(I)

No(I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: H.R. 748- Interstate Parental Notification Act  (Read 4582 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2005, 02:50:34 PM »

I support parental/guardian notification for all minors under the age of 18 but A18 and Jake's comments truly disgust me. 

Those two would've been right at home in Nazi Germany.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2005, 03:04:56 PM »

Most likely, they had some good ideas about abortion.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2005, 03:25:16 PM »

I oppose this because of the disastrous effects it can have. This law operates under the presumption that girls can be immature enough to be unable to make a choice about abortion, but mature enough to become a mother. Under the law, a girl can get a bypass if she can prove that she is mature enough to make the decision about abortion, but such laws fail to acknowledge the difficulty to obtain a court hearing, get time away from school or work to attend it, and be able to conceal this from her parents. Most tragically, such a mindset maintains that for girls who have had no real relationship with their parents, they can open the channels of communication with a discussion about abortion. Since some states persist in this error, girls have been often forced to have safe abortions out of state. I believe the situation needs to be reformed, but I see no reason to take away a girl's last, best chance while we are working to guarantee her full measure of civil rights.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2005, 12:20:37 AM »

i oppose this bill because I support infanticide.

Really?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2005, 12:42:54 AM »

LOL
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2005, 07:24:41 AM »

I personally don't see what's so hard about complying with non-abusive parental leadership.

It isn't.  If the parents were non-abusive, the girl would voluntarily inform them and enjoy their assistance in getting the abortion.  The fact that she does not want to inform them is sufficient attestation from the person best situated to know that they are abusive.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No it doesn't.  In the parent/'child' relationship, the parent is given virtually all the power.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2005, 08:07:36 AM »

Just reading this thread for the first time...
However this one gave me a weird idea...
I don't think minors should be able to get abortions without parental consent.  I support parental consent laws even within states, so I see no reason to oppose an interstate consent law.

It makes little sense to me that a minor can't be given an aspirin legally without parental consent, but can get an abortion.  Abortion is not a sacrament, as some feminists seem to believe.
It's not a sacrament. It's a necessary rite of passage. Women should only be allowed to vote after they have had an abortion. [/private humour that nobody else will laugh about]
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2005, 08:09:36 AM »

Yet another example of Congress attempting to overstretch the Interstate Commerce Clause. This is almost as ridiculous as the previous federal law prohibiting rape, made on the grounds that rape discourages victims from pursuing interstate commerce.
LOL!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2005, 08:10:46 AM »

The guy is equally at fault for getting her pregnant.

I agree with Phlip, he can't have an abortion either. Or maybe since he was at equal fault for impregnating the girl, maybe he should have to consent if she wants the abortion.
That certainly does make more sense than notifying the grandparents, yes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2005, 08:19:53 AM »

I personally don't see what's so hard about complying with non-abusive parental leadership.

It isn't.  If the parents were non-abusive, the girl would voluntarily inform them and enjoy their assistance in getting the abortion.  The fact that she does not want to inform them is sufficient attestation from the person best situated to know that they are abusive.
Well, not necessarily. Lots of teenagers who are just frightened of their parents without any real reason. But it certainly is an indication in that direction, yes.
Oh, and btw, Everett. You make quite a bit of sense. Welcome to the forum.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies