Poverty - relative vs. absolute (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:46:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Poverty - relative vs. absolute (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which kind of poverty do you think is more important to address? (descriptions below)
relative poverty

absolute poverty

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Poverty - relative vs. absolute  (Read 3022 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: January 20, 2006, 05:48:53 PM »

The government should not attempt to address either form of poverty.

It already addresses both forms Emsworth - it created, perpetuates, and enforces poverty. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:26:03 PM »

It already addresses both forms Emsworth - it created, perpetuates, and enforces poverty. 
Certainly, the government perpetuates poverty. By adopting a laissez-faire policy, however, the government can avoid this problem. If the government merely removes itself from the economic picture completely, then relative poverty might increase, but absolute poverty will be significantly reduced.

No it wouldn't. 

The policy I referred to which creates poverty is the misnamed 'laissez-faire' policy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 07:41:33 AM »

"poors" ... probably smell as well, right?

Actually it is possible to generalize that they are more likely to smell than rich, Al, due to the severe physical deprivations they suffer. 

For example, in the USA, much of the country is horrifically hot for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the year - poors may not have air conditioning, the air conditioning in their cars may be broken, or they may even be lacking a car and attempting to walk!  This leads to terrible odours that are caused by perspiration. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 10:52:55 AM »

Poors are much more stressed than rich, leading to slower growth and lower 'intelligence':
Child's height linked to intellectual development
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 11:05:56 AM »

"poors" ... probably smell as well, right?

Actually it is possible to generalize that they are more likely to smell than rich, Al, due to the severe physical deprivations they suffer. 
No, the rich are more likely to smell bad, because the least tolerable smells are actually sold for quite a lot of money.

Yes, Lewis Trondheim, I also hate the odour of perfumes! I think I actually have an allergic reaction to most of them.  Thank goodness few Thai girls use such awful things. 

Anyway labeling certain smells good or bad is purely subjective.  Let us just say that one can usually tell something about a person's class by sniffing him.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 05:41:40 AM »

As to the inheritance tax, I don't see how creating a defacto aristocracy who do nothing to generate wealth will help anyone.  Especially if the would be aristocrats who gain a massive entitlement attitude and start acting as though it was their birthright to be above the law.

Trust me, people like that don't hold onto their money for very long.  They never last as an 'aristocracy.'

What an absurd statement, dazzleman!

Are Rockefellers now poor?  Melons?  What percentage of those who's grandparents had over five million dollars have less than that in inflation adjusted terms today?  Not many I'll bet.

And who are the 'new rich' dazzleman?  Bill Gates father was a multi-millionaire.  You really should face the fact that the US has an obvious and permanent aristocracy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies