Ending Financial Havens for Islamic State (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 10:45:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Ending Financial Havens for Islamic State (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ending Financial Havens for Islamic State (Debating)  (Read 3253 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: September 22, 2014, 12:40:34 PM »

I think this is a fine idea, and it has my complete support.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »

Perhaps we can move to sever ties with governments that actively fund terrorism? I mean that doesn't sound very controversial to me, but if we have definitive proof that Saudi Arabia is financing groups like this, we shouldn't be palling around with them, oil or no oil. We have already made great strides toward energy efficiency and renewable power production in Atlasia that have not been made IRL. With these in mind, I think that it would be much easier for us to divorce ourselves from the unholy alliance we currently have with the repressive monarchies of the Gulf.

I would personally like to see this as part of a broader retreat from the region, because let's face it, our presence there has done nothing but inflame this kind of sectarian conflict. From the decision to fund religious extremists against secular Arab nationalists during the Cold War to the decision to promote sectarianism in Iraq, we have done literally nothing to promote a peaceful or stable Middle East, instead backing the most brutal butchers in order to satisfy our domestic capitalists' need for dirty energy to grease the engine of their failed economic model.

The best way forward is to withdraw all Atlasian military forces from the region and cut off the means by which these radical Islamist groups are being funded from our own nation. That, and sever our relationship with the racist state of Israel, once and for all.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 06:05:48 AM »

I would be willing to split the amendment as proposed.

For those of you objecting to Section 5, would you necessarily oppose a future amendment removing troops from Saudi Arabia alone? This seems to be one of the biggest sticking points for better relations in the Arab world. I know that Senator Lumine has voiced support for such, but how would those others who oppose Section 5 as it is currently written feel about an alternative that only withdrew troops from Saudi Arabia?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:28:48 AM »

Very well then, I will offer an amendment outlining such a process as soon as we finish voting on the amendment in question.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »

Aye
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 03:06:16 AM »

Offering the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »

I don't like the idea of a blanket time line, but I'd be willing to consider it as friendly if Senator TNF is willing to add  - "Subject to on the ground conditions" at the end.

I'm not willing to do that because we seem to have enough votes to pass this without it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:49:19 AM »

Aye (anti-war/anti-Islamist)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 04:00:27 AM »

"Subject to on the ground conditions" seems like a great way to undo this whole thing should Lumine win the Presidency in October.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »

I object to the proposed amendment (if it's being offered, there's no indication to suggest it is). It's a disingenuous attempt to continue our idiotic presence in Saudi Arabia should "on the ground conditions" (whatever that means) not be favorable to Atlasia (how is it any of our business what is going on in Saudi Arabia?)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »

Why should we be in Saudi Arabia at all? Is there any real justification for this, and is there any real justification for adjusting our presence based on 'conditions on the ground', or not? I will vote against any amendment that weakens withdrawal from that country, just as I will not vote for any amendment that negates us leaving, or even leaves open the option of negating it. We either leave or we don't.

If the Saudi people rise up and kill the King or whatever, we shouldn't not leave because of 'conditions on the ground.' We should leave. Period.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »

Nay
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:57:36 PM »

What "interests" do we have in Saudi Arabia? I understand that ExxonMobil might have "interests" in Saudi Arabia, but I fail to see why that should stop us from bringing our troops home as soon as possible.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

If those companies set up shop in Saudi Arabia, they do so at their own risk. I frankly could care less if something happens to them in the event of some kind of uprising, personally. They knew the risk going in. Not our job to bail them out.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 07:38:34 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies