Ted Cruz Compares Democrats to the Ku Klux Klan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:33:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ted Cruz Compares Democrats to the Ku Klux Klan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ted Cruz Compares Democrats to the Ku Klux Klan  (Read 1288 times)
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« on: February 08, 2017, 04:46:58 PM »

This is why I call him Lyin' Ted. So what? I really dislike how Cruz stabs the people Goldwater invited into the party in the back.
Eharding

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »

Do they also think there was a great migration where all Northerners moved to the South and all Southerners to the North?

-The Irish generally sympathized more with the South than the North at first. Massachusetts remains pretty Democratic even unto this day.
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »

This is why I call him Lyin' Ted. So what? I really dislike how Cruz stabs the people Goldwater invited into the party in the back.

...that's your issue with this remark?

He's a troll.

-No, I'm not. I despised how Cruz did it at the convention speech, too. Doesn't he know his forerunner, Goldwater, voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act?
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »

-Maybe something even worse than that: willful delusion.
Eharding

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 06:47:52 PM »

...that's your issue with this remark?

Of course he'd be upset with Cruz disparaging the wonderful KKK descendant Republicans brought into the GOP fold by Goldwater and his ilk. Those of Eharding's political brethren.

As for Cruz's remark, it truly requires a lack of shame for an intelligent man (he may be awful, but he's intelligent) to make this argument when his party is attempting to make a man with a long history of racial controversies our next AG and silences a Senator from the supposed KKK party that tried reading a letter from MLK's widow blasting their AG pick for racism. Incredible.

-I'm not actually much of a fan of the Hoover Democrats. They were very similar to Romney-Hillary voters. But I'm no enemy of Goldwater's domestic policy and am not in the business of disparaging FDR-Goldwater voters.
Eharding

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:01:07 PM »

I hate the GOP, but let's dispel with this fiction that Goldwater inspired racist Democrats to become Republicans. It's almost as bad as the myth that Northern Republicans wanted to abolish slavery because they were so magnanimous and righteous.

-I thought both of those were facts.
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »

I hate the GOP, but let's dispel with this fiction that Goldwater inspired racist Democrats to become Republicans. It's almost as bad as the myth that Northern Republicans wanted to abolish slavery because they were so magnanimous and righteous.

They are. The South went from 60% Democratic to 80% Republican thanks to Goldwater's racist campaign platform.

You two sound so dumb.

They are from Michigan, what else do you expect.

It must have gone back to solid Carter country because he out-racisted Goldwater, LOL.

-The South was not "solid Carter country". Mississippi Whites went for Ford, so you can't even say Carter definitively out-racisted him. He outracisted McGovern, I guess. Many Americans honestly didn't know for whom to vote in 1976 because both the candidates were so moderate. So the split was largely on the basis of college education and income, unlike in today's party system, in which the split is largely on the basis of marriage.
Eharding

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »

They are. The South went from 60% Democratic to 80% Republican thanks to Goldwater's racist campaign platform.

You two sound so dumb.

They are from Michigan, what else do you expect.

It must have gone back to solid Carter country because he out-racisted Goldwater, LOL.

-The South was not "solid Carter country". Mississippi Whites went for Ford, so you can't even say Carter definitively out-racisted him. He outracisted McGovern, I guess. Many Americans honestly didn't know for whom to vote in 1976 because both the candidates were so moderate. So the split was largely on the basis of college education and income, unlike in today's party system, in which the split is largely on the basis of marriage.

You'll hate this, Eharding, as you seem to want to resurrect the old Southern Democrats; you even seem to fetishize them (the two types of people who want to believe in the Parties Switched myth are self-absorbed liberals who can't come to term with the facts that the American left, for a long time, didn't give a  about Black people or modern racists who feel a connection with racists of the past and wish to draw a comparison).  Ford won the White Southern vote vs. Carter 52%-46%.  Considering he won the relatively big Southern states of Texas and Virginia, a hefty chunk of his White Southern support came from those two states.  When we also consider that Carter won most of the rural (and most Democratic) counties and that Ford scored his Southern support mainly in urban and suburban areas that had trended Republican WELL before Goldwater, it is perfectly obvious to anyone without an agenda that Ford wasn't exactly flipping longtime Dixiecrats.

-Carter won Texas, man. Carter won the rural counties because he, like Trump, appealed strongly to non-college Whites, especially those in all parts of the South.

Ford was riding off Nixon's success with southern Whites; that's why he won the White vote in Mississippi. Ford was still winning lots of White Southerners who first voted GOP in 1964.

Both of your "seem to"s are wrong. IMO, Ron Paul>Trump>Goldwater>4th Party System So Dems>Lindsey Graham>Lyndon Johnson.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies