Ukraine Crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:10:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 72
Author Topic: Ukraine Crisis  (Read 235647 times)
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: March 14, 2014, 08:28:30 AM »

http://time.com/22125/ukraine-crimea-cossacks-russia/

Armed Cossacks have taken to "patrolling" Crimea, and building fortifications, among other details.
Ukraine can easily kick them out by arming a few angry, pipe-hitting Crimean Tartars with Aks and plyers.

Hardly.  Even before the upcoming anchluss, the Russians were the majority in the Crimea and Russia has a much more robust military than Ukraine. Putin of course would love the excuse he had been hoping to get for his conduct, but thankfully Ukraine did learn the lesson of Georgia.  You need to use diplomacy and not military means to have any hope of confronting Russia and winning.  Granted, it's a slim hope, but it's better than the zero chance they'd have if they went military in their response.

Russia is concentrating troops on the border with Ukraine - far from Crimea. A public commitment to defense of, at least, mainland Ukraine is urgent. Otherwise, we will be discussing Poland a lot sooner than most think.
I get that you are anxious, ag, I really get it. But Poland is part of the EU and Nato for Bretzel's sake ! It's a completely different story.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #951 on: March 14, 2014, 09:38:14 AM »

Armed Cossacks have taken to "patrolling" Crimea, and building fortifications, among other details.
Ukraine can easily kick them out by arming a few angry, pipe-hitting Crimean Tartars with Aks and plyers.

Hardly.  Even before the upcoming anchluss, the Russians were the majority in the Crimea and Russia has a much more robust military than Ukraine. Putin of course would love the excuse he had been hoping to get for his conduct, but thankfully Ukraine did learn the lesson of Georgia.  You need to use diplomacy and not military means to have any hope of confronting Russia and winning.  Granted, it's a slim hope, but it's better than the zero chance they'd have if they went military in their response.

Russia is concentrating troops on the border with Ukraine - far from Crimea. A public commitment to defense of, at least, mainland Ukraine is urgent. Otherwise, we will be discussing Poland a lot sooner than most think.
I get that you are anxious, ag, I really get it. But Poland is part of the EU and Nato for Bretzel's sake ! It's a completely different story.

Agreed.
Georgia is Austria.
Ukraine is Czechoslovakia.
Poland is Poland, which means it needs to be prepared to have a nervous Germany stab her in the back to secure its gas supply.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #952 on: March 14, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2014, 11:14:22 AM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

I can't understand why leaving Crimea to the Russians is so hard for the West. They already had the territory de facto.

Anyway, if a press tirh Russian FM was intelligent, they should ask him about "self determination" in Chechenya
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #953 on: March 14, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »

So, when Putin asks for, say, a land link to Kaliningrad, you guys will, actually, be willing to fight?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #954 on: March 14, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »

I can't understand why leaving Crimea to the Russians is so hard for the West. They already had the territory de facto.

Because Russia will not be satisfied with Crimea.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #955 on: March 14, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »

They didn't. Well, depends on how you define "having". If you mean having by lots of ethnic Russians living there, then Turkey de facto has Berlin-Kreuzberg too. Tongue
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #956 on: March 14, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »

Poland is Poland, which means it needs to be prepared to have a nervous Germany stab her in the back to secure its gas supply.

Let's hope that Uschi - our new commander-in-chief - didn't read your suggestion. Tongue
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #957 on: March 14, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

Seems like everything is getting ready for a Russian invasion into the Ukrainian mainland. God help us all.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #958 on: March 14, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »

Not good (re: the possibility of Russia intervening in Ukraine outside of Crimea):

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/14/russia-warning-fatal-clashes-ukraine-donetsk-protect-compatriots

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #959 on: March 15, 2014, 08:09:09 AM »

Godwin ought to become an infractable offense.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #960 on: March 15, 2014, 08:21:59 AM »

You know who else suggested new infractable offenses?  That's right….Hitler.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #961 on: March 15, 2014, 08:35:31 AM »

Reports that 40 Russian paratroopers have landed in eastern Ukraine.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #962 on: March 15, 2014, 09:32:29 AM »

Under the circumstances, I woul not have expected this from a Pole.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #963 on: March 15, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »

Ukrainians repelled that Russian landing attempt, while Russia vetoed a UNSC resolution declaring the referendum illegal.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #964 on: March 15, 2014, 11:03:42 AM »

Ukrainian foreign office statement (via Guardian):
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Strilkove is in the Kherson oblast part of a spit of land on the western side of the Sea of Azov which is split between Kherson oblast and Crimea.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #965 on: March 15, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »

Under the circumstances, I woul not have expected this from a Pole.

Considering your amazing grasp on reality, I'm actually relieved to heard that.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #966 on: March 15, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »

Apparently Russian troops have seized a natural gas plant outside Crimea:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/15/moscow-protest-crimea_n_4969970.html#598_ukraine-says-russian-forces-seize-gas-plant-outside-crimea
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #967 on: March 15, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »

Ukrainians repelled that Russian landing attempt, while Russia vetoed a UNSC resolution declaring the referendum illegal.

China sort of backed Russia up here... they abstained rather joining Russia's veto, but they don't seem oppose Russia either...

I think it's time for President Obama to ask for a Declaration of War against Russia (Which we know he won't, but it's not the Ukraine can really hold for more than two weeks if Putin puts some effort into an invasion.)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #968 on: March 15, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »

I think it's time for President Obama to ask for a Declaration of War against Russia

It's not.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #969 on: March 15, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »

I think it's time for President Obama to ask for a Declaration of War against Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #970 on: March 15, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »

Tens of thousands of people participated in a peace march in Moscow today, outnumbering the rival pro-Putin rally by far:

http://www.dw.de/tens-of-thousands-attend-moscow-peace-rally-as-russia-vetoes-un-resolution-on-crimea-referendum/a-17499145
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #971 on: March 15, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUttbZcv7WI
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #972 on: March 15, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »

I see no consequences
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #973 on: March 15, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »

According to Al Jazeera, the Russian line on the Strilkove incident is that they were trying to prevent a "terrorist attack" on a gas plant.  (The implication was also that the Russian troops are still there.)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #974 on: March 15, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »

I think it's time for President Obama to ask for a Declaration of War against Russia (Which we know he won't, but it's not the Ukraine can really hold for more than two weeks if Putin puts some effort into an invasion.)

If you're sincere about this, you better decide and practice the pose in which you would like to be etched into the sidewalk.  The West isn't going to turn and burn for Ukraine.  Moscow knows this.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies