Do you own a car? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:14:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you own a car? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes, myself or together with partner/friend/family member

No, but frequently use someone else’s

No, but own a driver's license

No, don't own a driver's license

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Do you own a car?  (Read 998 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 15, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »
« edited: June 15, 2016, 11:03:10 AM by L.D. Smith »

I did a month ago back when I was in Virginia, had a stick-shift 2002 Hyundai Elantra...that had waaaay too many miles on it to leave town.

So I had to sell it before I relocated.

At the moment, since my folks literally have 3 operable cars [one vintage British one too], I just de-facto use the third one that neither of them drive at all, which curiously enough is the only one without airbags and older than I am...but since it's a Toyota, no worries at all.

Once I move out again for Grad School, I'll get my own wheels again, but since I mostly use my bike to commute, city driving is a mess, and everything is overpriced, I see no point in replacing the old Hyundai just yet.

2011 Hyundai Elantra. It was a good first car, but my next car will either be American or German.

#NeverAmerican, those things only break down and cause more trouble, especially if GM made. And as for German, if it isn't a Mercedes, then it's a gamble.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:21:56 PM »

2011 Hyundai Elantra. It was a good first car, but my next car will either be American or German.

#NeverAmerican, those things only break down and cause more trouble, especially if GM made. And as for German, if it isn't a Mercedes, then it's a gamble.

While Mercedes are certainly great cars, other German brands are just as good - Audi, BMW, certain VWs and Opels. At least in regards to the cars they sell round here, German cars are generally preferable to all others.

As for myself, I don't own one myself, but I can use my mum's Opel Corsa whenever she does not need it, provided I fill it up, of course.

Opel/Vauxhall is GM owned now isn't it?...Too sketchy.

Except for ancient VWs, the rest of their line keeps having things fall apart early on. My folks in my lifetime had two Passats, neither of them made it to 120,000 miles...in the case of the last one, it leaked water everywhere....and everyone I know who owned the New Beetles got effed.

Audi is VW owned, thus the parts are similar, so forget that.

Beamers I've heard good and bad things.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 05:40:34 PM »

No, and it's kind of embarrassing that I don't have a driver's license. I wish I had gotten one at the same age as everyone else.

Why? I didn't even get my permit until my first year of undergrad was up. Didn't get my license until two years later (courtesy of failing the test literally days before college resumed and having no chances to try again until the next summer.)

Admittedly, the Bay Area is one of the ugliest places to attempt such a thing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies